Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tastes different?

:thumbup: Just wondering .......when I was reading some of these posts. Does anyone think things they use to love to eat taste different now after banding? And you don't want them like you use to?

I WISH! I'm not restricted yet (sigh) and other than the 1 beer I tried (had about 3 sips, burped like a ...well, a burper LOL, and that was that) I can eat anything. And things that DID taste good still do.

I have read posts where people say certain foods just aren't worth the trouble any more and I HOPE HOPE I get there soon!

I do have problem foods that aren't worth eating any more , but that's fine. most of those were empty calories anyway(ex. bagels). Some foods that I enjoyed before I really love more now and think they taste even better. Two recent examples for me were muenster cheese and scallops I think it is because I can only eat a set amount each and everyday so everything that I do eat needs to count and i believe that it helps me to savor the taste even more

I can eat everything and it all tastes the same, but what's different is how its feels. Just before Christmas, my skinny husband came home with a box of glazed donuts and he about fainted when I said I wanted one. I took 2 bites and handed it back to him. It tasted good and it didn't get stuck, but it just sort of laid in my pouch and it just felt strange. Not at all like what I expect from a donut.

Now if only I could feel the same way about Cookies and chocolate!

I still LOVE to eat and everything continues to taste great. Im pretty much still able to eat any food.......BUT........why the band has been so successful for me is that the foods i love and would gorge myself on i now can only eat a few bites of or i suffer HORRIBLE pain. For example french fries i can still eat them but i can only eat two or three. Same goes for anything else thats doughy or cakey or crunchy (like snack food).

Doughy breads and pizza (which I used to eat regularly) are just too much work to be enjoyable and leave me feeling bloated and uncomfortable so they just are no longer appealing to me. I had not had one bit of sugar in seven months but over the holidays I allowed myself to enjoy a few of my moms holiday goodies. A couple nibbles off a cookie was enough for me where last year I would have to have at least one of each type and two or three of the really good ones.

I was never much of a fish eater but now I crave it. I had been craving it over the holidays but with all the other holiday food it didn't make sense to make fish too but I finally cooked up a few filets the other day and I swear I don't remember the last time I truly enjoyed food like I did that fish!

Edited by Jodi_620

Ironically enough, not having many carbs and lots of Protein, I still crave protein. I would LOVE some braunshweiger and cheese!! Next week when I can have it my friend is taking me to Frankenmuth to have some liver pate' (sp?). I am also craving fish. The only sweets I am really craving are the sugar Cookies left over in the kitchen that aren't getting eaten fast enough. I am ready to through them away to get them out of sight!

I use to hate tuna out of a can, but now I really enjoy it for whatever reason.

I of course cannot eat the things I use to binge on since my last fill, no more pizza, Bagels, english muffins or bread of any sort - and quite frankly I am ok with this :thumbs_up:

Since being banded I am becoming more and more gluten intolerant and lactose intolerant. Lactose, milk and cheese mainly, are giving me horrible nausea. And things high in gluten (bread, Pasta and pizza crust in particular) cause me bloating and stomach pain the likes of which I have never felt in my life.

Though so I still think those things taste good, I am rapidly losing my desire for them. I look at them and think about the unpleasantness to follow if I indulge in them and pretty much always decide to find something else to eat that won't cause me pain or nausea.

I've been banded now for almost 6 mos. I had a Big Mac for the first time since being banded 2 weeks ago. Prior to being banded, I really liked the taste of a Big Mac. Well, when I tried it 2 weeks ago, it tasted blah! I had no problems with it getting stuck or going down but after eating 1/2 of it (I took the top bun off and always did even prior to banding), I just couldn't bear the thought of taking another bite of BLAH!

All other foods taste the same so far. I do find that I get tired of eating after about 10 minutes (maybe because I actually chew the food thoroughly now).

Most things taste pretty much the same. On the other hand there are a few things that I now avoid due to calories, but on the rare ocassion that I allow myself a bite or two, I savor it in my mouth like gourmet food. That bite lasts and it tastes so much better. It's like I don't take it for granted. When you can eat whatever you like, you don't appreciate it. Does that make sense?

I can't stand the smell or taste of anything fried now. I tried french fries (baked and otherwise) and cant stand them. I tried a bite of fried chicken and it didnt taste right. This is a good thing since I used to love all things fried. Now I bake or broil or cook in my turbo cooker. I love the rotisserie chicken from Hy Vee and Walmart, it is so moist and tender. I am not a big fish eater so all I eat is chicken and the occassional beef dish.

I still think everthing is delicious! most of the time i'm just not interested in it because it's empty calories. One day i looked and 1 peanut m&m has 10 calories...well who can eat just 1?! i know i can't so say 30 (because i love them) so that's 300 calories. the nuts are good for you but other than that, there's no real nutritional value, and lets face it, we're not eating them because the nuts are good for you! but anyway my point is...calculate how long it would take you on a treadmill or whatever to burn those 300 empty calories!