Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else dealing with other people comments

Is it me or is other getting the same feed back from others. I got banded in March. My Dr moves very slow at the fills and in the beginning the fills were every 6 weeks and they were not a lot. Even if you did not feel filled you have to wait till your next apt. She feels that you should not let the band do all the work and you need to train your mind too.So until a few months ago I really did not feel the fills. Yes some. And yes it helped. But a lot of my weight was done on my own. Again struggling. I now have joined the gym and she at my last apt was like I don't think you need a fill. I am like umm yah. Make the band work this is why I went through all this and trust me and I am sure you all now its not a easy road . Some things I have heard and dealt with and it makes me upset,discouraged that others don't understand how hard it is. I have lost almost 42lbs and its been pretty much on my own so far. I am also at 4.6 on my band.

1. You should be taking off the weight like crazy

2.not sure why you have not lost much weight it that's all you eat .

3.I cant really tell a difference in the pictures. Must be the clothes you are wearing.

4, best one yet I hear it over and over again by my husband which is also overweight. YOU CHEATED i get told.

Edited by Meme1504

Oh for the love of god lol, people are a real treat some times huh? You are not alone there was a good thread that I posted to the other day that was about the things people have said to you and there are some doosies out there.

But you know what is happening, you know that this is not a fast process for some, keep the faith, keep your head held high and learn some witty come backs quick :thumbup:

Trust me I understand, I mean look at my stats lol, I have only lost 11 pds in the past six months - you can imagine what I have heard and the looks I have gotten :angry:

I don't give a good rip what "people" say and if I had an overweight husband dissing me, well, I won't even tell you what I'd tell THAT loser. Chin up. You did this for yourself, not everyone else.

I don't give a good rip what "people" say and if I had an overweight husband dissing me, well, I won't even tell you what I'd tell THAT loser. Chin up. You did this for yourself, not everyone else.

Hear! Hear! I agree with RestlessMonkey!

Hey there,

Don't feel bad. I didn't lose anything for 6 months but recently lost 15 lbs again. I didn't tell anyone about my surgery for fear of people pressuring me. In terms of dealing with people who say stupid things well...I'm sure you can come up with some equally rude come backs!

As for the hubby...well maybe he needs a reality check!

I learned a great come back and it makes people think everytime and often embarrasses them.

"Ouch! That hurt! Where were you going with that?"

Puts it back on their rudeness!

I try not to pay any attention to what people say. They talk about us when we are fat and they talk about us when we aren't, so you can't win with some people.

I had surgery in May and I have lost about as much as you. I have had trouble with my fills and being too tight, so that has slowed my loss. But I try not to let it bother me. It will come off, just not as fast as some of the others.

Unrealistic expectations - from this board.

People are people and many say what's on their mind-but that's the point....it's from THEIR mind. And who knows who these people are? They aren't the ones you should be taking advice from. The board is a great resource - but not your only source.

Everyone has negitive people in their life at one point or another, The comments I hate the most are: I would have thought you would have lost more weight by now and If you have to watch what you eat why couldn't you have saved the money and just did it on your own. OH, and my all time fav is:well, I'm losing my weight the hard way, you took the easy way out. And to all these people and there comments I say they can kiss my (almost non exsistant at this point) rear.

people say things out of ignorance, fear or jealousy

even though I am in the slow loser club, I know for sure things would have been a lot worse if they went in the other direction!

oh the things I could have eaten if I did not have this band!

What I have noticed so far is that people who have never had a weight problem can not and will never understand and the people who do have a weight problem and make comments are what I said on the first line

I haven't received any negative comments which led me to ponder why some do and some don't.

Here's my theory: People who know me, know better than to think they can step on me or my feelings. Maybe I send that energy out even to strangers because it just doesn't happen. Even on a board like this, I think it's relatively easy to pick up on things like that.

If even your husband feels free to "diss" you, then could it be that you are sending out a message to the world that you are a doormat? I bet if you start realizing that you are a worthy person regardless of the size of your wallet, home, car or what the scales say, people will start respecting you more. I bet you'll even start liking image in the mirror more, too.

I'm sorry for the poorly thought out comments you are getting. I can honestly say I have heard very little from friends and coworkers (I told everyone I was having the surgery). Of course, they all know how much hard work I have put in at the gym, because I tell them about that as well.

The only poor comments I hear really are said about one of my officers that had the lapband about 2 1/2 yrs before me. He has lost nowhere near the amount of weight I have. I refuse to bad mouth him and his journey, we are all different. The only thing I ever say is that he does not appear to put in any time in the gym. Also, I hear about his poor eating habits. People seem to think it is a competition btwn us. I do not. I only deal with myself and how I am doing.

Sidenote: I will confess when he got his lapband, I was one that said he was taking the easy way out. I had never heard of the lapband and knew nothing about it. I made an assumption. That may be why I choose to educate everyone I know.