Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Its easy really. Just go in and bend your knees just a little, when they are measuring your height.

Ok, now your one inch shorter, and your bmi is more.

If anyone notices that they measured you and you shrunk a little, just tell them that you had always been measured in the past with your shoes on.

Or just add 10lbs of quarters in all the right places....tape them flat so they don't jingle....LOL

Edited by Jaffa

Okay, seriously, you gals are a riot! ROFL.... I gotta tell ya, each of ya have some really great ideas! I wonder how the weights in the bra would work considering that's the only part of my body that actually needs some weight?!?! I received some other suggestions about possible diver weights... hmmm.. slap the belt of that bad boy around my waist and I'm good to go. My question would be this.... what happens if I "lose" the weight right before surgery?? Surely I can't wear the diver belt and my weighted bra into the operation room...or can I?! Hmmm... and secondly, how long does the process usually take? From first dr. appt. to surgery? I'm still in the early learning stages.

Thanks so much!

Once you weigh in and have a qualifying BMI that's the weight the docs use to get you approved with insurance... any weight u lose from then till the surgery is just gravy and they don't care. They don't disqualify you for dropping under the BMI after approval :)

Personally, I would gain the weight so I could have the surgery. As crazy as it sounds, I would do it.

As far as losing weight pre-op. Once I was approved by my insurance company to have the surgery they could not reject me for the surgery, because I lost weight.

Once the the insurance company approved the procedure, my doctor required me to lose weight during the pre-op diet. I lost 10-pounds during that time. My doctor's policy is no weight loss during pre-op diet no surgery. Additionally, if you gain weight during the pre-op diet, no surgery.

K....I was feeling really gulity when I read the original post...but then I read on

Here I thought I was the only one that gained weight in order to qualify, imagine my relief to see I'm not alone!!!

I know it sounds crazy to gain weight to have weight loss surgery....but I know the surgery is my only hope pf ever gaining control of my body and my health....

So I say if your close (and don't have a money tree in your yard) then eat drink and be merry....afterall don't you pay for insurance every freaking month?!?!???

I think you deserve your chance at freedom!!

Hmmm... I'm liking the idea about taping quarters to my body...lol...wonder how many quaters it would take to gain say...10lbs (just to be on the safe side in case their scales differ from mine??) Oh how I wish I had someone to hold my hand and do all of this for me... the appt. making and what not. I have absolutely no idea what to do first or last or what. All I do know is that I go to a seminar on the 13th...after that I have no idea what to do next. I'm not sure how to find the best surgeon and especially one that one won't break me on the program fees or does insurance cover that? Can anyone direct me to a "Lap Band for Dummies" book? LOL

HELP!!

Can anyone direct me to a "Lap Band for Dummies" book? LOL

HELP!!

Actually there is a "Weight loss surgery" for dummies book, and several really good books on gastric banding. you can find them by searching on Amazon. I did!

And the rest will fall into place. Check with your insurance first to make sure the surgeon whose seminar you're attending is in your network. They'll help you from there! (If they won't, find another surgeon)

I bought my dummie's book from Amazon and it was a really great tool to have, read it again recently to brush up on some things :)

Read my SECOND start of the diet/weigh in Here. You can laugh at my methods of bulking up...I did (I was 1 POUND short the first time!!!!).

Edited by Band_Groupie

Thanks for the suggstions about the books. I wonder if Barnes & Noble has them?? Never hurts to check it out and see. Thanks again.

BG, you are absolutely hilarious. You have awesome writing skills. Thanks for the laughs!

go and eat what ever u find in ur fridge, its "guiltless pleasure" since ull be banded and ull lose all the nasty pounds u will gain, ull NEVER regret it.. believe me.

Thank you guys so much for the replys and suggestions. I think perhaps I am on the verge of becoming obsessed about this whole thing. I am now having dreams about it! LOL... hmm.. wonder if that's a good thing or a bad thing. At any rate, I have to do something. Ya know, sometimes I wish the insurance people who had the fate of my health in their hands could spend a day going through what I/we do. I am absolutely certain they would approve any and everyone on the spot. I even suspect they may OFFER the surgery!!! I think my next step is to maybe call the insurance and explain to them my situations. My only problem is will they actually take time to LISTEN to me, rather than just hear me. Thanks again!!

Best of Luck!

Speaking as an insurance company nurse reviewer, most of us either have been there or are there, but it is not up to us to make those decisions. We have a guideline to follow and if it does not meet the guideline we are required to send it to the medical director to make a final decision.

If it was up to us we would probably cover anything and everything, but then insurance premiums would be so high no one would be able to afford it.

If we ignore the guidelines and approve things that do not meed the criteria, then we would lose our jobs.

Crystal