Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight gain and frustarted

I was banded in April 08 and did well. Lost 48lbs. I have gained 12 back and I don't know what to do. Do I just go liquid for a week? Get another fill, although I am having touble with food getting stuck. Just frustrated and need support, suggestions.

Couple of things - first, are you exercising ? Can not under estimate what regular exercise can do for you. Second - track what you eat - write it down ! Very important little trick. You may be surprised as to what you are eating (calories wise). It sounds like you do not need a fill if you are getting food stuck. Make sure you are front loading Proteins and chewing well. You may want to go see a nutritionist for some guidance as well.

Hey Elsid!

Your still down 36 pounds! That's awesome! You just need to figure out what's going wrong and fix it. Don't give any more back, you fought to hard to lose it. Sounds like your adjustment is about right, so it must be to many calories or not enough exercise. I also believe the right balance of carbs, fat and Protein can have a lot to do with it. Anyway, you can do this- you just hit a slump. Evaluate your situation, make some adjustments and get back on track! Good Luck!

Thanks Dave and Mediummike for the advise, support and encouragement. I jnust need to get back on track and be positive.

Hi elsid congratulation on loosing 36 pounds. Taking the first step to get with us guys is a great way to get back on track.

We have the same problem as you. We are all compulsive overeaters I am for sure.

We all chose the band to help us on the road to good health but it is only a tool it wont do it for us.

To become sober an Alcoholic must stop drinking. A compulsive overeater is no different only food is the booze. We can’t stop eating so what can we do?

For me I chose to not eat between meals that would be like an Alcoholic taking a drink this would be my first suggestion.

Second exercise must become the most important activity of your day put off what you must but walk at least 30 minutes per day seven days a week

Get a logbook and start recording daily I do.

Log how much liquid, drink 48 to 64 oz per day. Record your Protein input. Eat 60 to 70 grams of protein per day no more. Drink Protein Drinks if needed to get to this number.

I do record my calories but not required I eat 400 to 600 per day.

Yes I do get hungry the Band fills have not caught up with that yet but they will. But then we chose weight lose surgery. So get over it use willpower 6 months to a year is a very small price to pay for our good health. I use low sodium v8 juice and protein drinks between meals to help with the hungers.

Good luck

I too have been frustrated lately. Only 5 months out from banding and down 65 lbs. Some weeks are better than others. it seems like one time I will cheat with a piece of chocolate or a piece of garlis bread and loose zero pounds. then there are weeks where I am perfect and loose zero pounds. Two weeks ago, I thought I screwed up because I ate tortillas like 3 times, I lost 4 freakin pounds. Don't get me wrong, I am happy for the loss but what am I missing that will get me a loss every week?;)

I think you DONT respond in your previous pre band dysfunctonal dieter fashion by throwing yourself into a fad diet. That will most likely send you into a spiral of panicky dieting, followed by binging.

Deep breath. You've gained 12 lb. Why? What behaviours led to it? Decide, and then change them. Cut them out. Get back to your steady, sensible plan, pick up the exercise and carry on.

12lb will take a little while to come off but you know you can do it. And you KNOW that if you go on a strict liquid diet you will probably lose 12lb of muscle, Water and a little bit of fat. Not 12lb of fat.

Get another fill if you think you're ready for one. You have the tools to fight this with, use them, dont let your mind take over and think you must punish yourself with silly diets or that it must come off within a week. You've already lost a lot of weight, you know you can do it.

So just stay calm, and get back with what you know you should be doing. And good luck!

Edited by Jachut

Deep breath. You've gained 12 lb. Why? What behaviours led to it? Decide, and then change them. Cut them out. Get back to your steady, sensible plan, pick up the exercise and carry on.

I think you are so right on this. I gained 5 lbs this last week and I had to look at why I gained that much. Part of it I knew was due to going off a heavy diaretic medication that I had been on but I also know a good part of it was the food choices I had made last week.

For me this was the first weight gain I have had since I started my pre-op diet back in October and through my surgery etc etc. So it hit me hard like it does us all. But I know I made bad choices and rather then jumping to a liquid diet or doing twice the amount of exercise then what I normaly would do I simply looked at my actions and choices that I had made and decided that I couldn't continue down that path and identified what I need to do differently to get back on track and keep up the good work I have already done.

Don't get discouraged. Know that you have the power within yourself to change what it was that you had been doing!

Elsid, nobody has all the answers. They are more than one way to get from point A to point B. It sure is faster to gain than to loose. The main thing is your headed in the right direction. Everyone is made differently. If you feel you need to go on liquids go on liquids. Just for thought, have you concidered half liquids and half foods? Anyway keep up the good work and I'll be looking forward to the next post that says you've lost the 12 pds and more on top of that. Florida Pete keep up the good work your doing great.:thumbup::thumbup::w00t::thumbup:

Thanks to all of your help and support, I have lost five of the twelve pounds I had gained. I also had a fill last week and that helped. It sure feels better droping the weight as opposed to gaining.:thumbup: