Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 1/2 yrs postop and having problems

I had my LAP-BAND<SUP>®</SUP> surgery in March of 2003 with no complications since that time (except for the port coming loose from the band and having to have it replaced 1 weeks after initial insertion). The past few months I get sick everyday after noon or so. I get a bloated feeling, nauseated, feeling like I need to burp but cant and then I throw up almost every evening. I know this is horribly grose but when I do throw up it has enormous force behind it, sometimes it is just air until I start dry heaving and that hurts sooooo bad. I thought maybe I had a stomach virus, but not this long, thought it might be the pain pills I was taking for my back but I quit those and no relief. Gas X, beano, pepto NO HELP. I also have pain in my left side just under the edge of my lower ribs. I have an appt with my regular doctor this coming Monday. After reading some of the other posts I am wondering if I need to go see my LAP-BAND<SUP>®</SUP> surgeon. I havent seen him in a few years. No fills or anything. Anyone else had these problems? Any advice?

Thanks and Happy New Year to you all!!

God Bless!

Hi:

I hope you feel better soon. Wouldn't hurt to give your lap-band doctor a call. I know that my surgeon told everyone in support group that if you're having any stomach issues he should be called.

Feel better, and keep us posted.

When you do feel better, please tell me what it's like after year 2 versus first 2 years banded. I'm almost 1 1/2 years since banding and love my band and my healthier self. I am just wondering if there are any band changes after the first two years.

Take care.

Sue

The gastrointerologist set me up for an Upper GI and ultrasound in the morning. He said since I am throwing up bile that he did not feel like it had anything to do with the lapband. He said the band is up higher on the stomach than where the bile comes in at or something like that. Maybe I will know more tomorrow I hope. He did take me off anything with lactose in it. I dont drink much milk but I am a cheese lover. I have also quit drinking carbonated drinks except for every now & then and that has helped a little.

Went in to for the upper GI, the doctor couldnt complete it. My band has erroded into my stomach in a very very bad way. He immediately called my lapband surgeon and sent me straight over there. He is going to do surgery on me Friday to remove the band and try to repair my stomach. I am sooo frustrated and scared. Not sure my insurance will cover it, if they dont I cant afford to have it done. They said I would have to be in the hospital for 2-3 days atleast. My stomach is in a pretty big mess from the band. They showed me the pics, it is awful. My LB surgeon said he has never seen anything like it especially this far out.

Went in to for the upper GI, the doctor couldnt complete it. My band has erroded into my stomach in a very very bad way. He immediately called my lapband surgeon and sent me straight over there. He is going to do surgery on me Friday to remove the band and try to repair my stomach. I am sooo frustrated and scared. Not sure my insurance will cover it, if they dont I cant afford to have it done. They said I would have to be in the hospital for 2-3 days atleast. My stomach is in a pretty big mess from the band. They showed me the pics, it is awful. My LB surgeon said he has never seen anything like it especially this far out.

I am so sorry that you are going through this. Your health is very important, because if is your life we are talking about here. You need to have this surgery regardless of who pays for it. Your life is at stake here.

I hope all will be okay with you.

I am just now having some scary symptoms. Your post makes me really scared. I have been banded since Aug 05 and the last 2 months I have been throwing up every day. Sometimes lately 10 times or more!

The past 2 weeks I have not been able to keep anything solid down. Only Protein and some mushies but even the mushies usually come back up.

I have had days of very bad dehydration. Water will not go down. Only Protein drinks.

Email me : (

I am just now having some scary symptoms. Your post makes me really scared. I have been banded since Aug 05 and the last 2 months I have been throwing up every day. Sometimes lately 10 times or more!

The past 2 weeks I have not been able to keep anything solid down. Only Protein and some mushies but even the mushies usually come back up.

I have had days of very bad dehydration. Water will not go down. Only Protein drinks.

Email me : (

Merced,

You need to go for an upper GI to make sure your band is placed correctly. It may be because you are too tight. If so, a slight unfill will fix you right up. DO NOT WAIT. Call your doc to order that upper GI ASAP.

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your band. I too am having my band removed today due to erosion. I have only had it on one year and I never reached the "sweet spot". I had 9.5 cc in a 10 cc band. DR thought he should check it out. I have not been sick or any other symptoms. I am devastated to lose my band so soon. I have lost 60 pds but have more to go and I am petrified of gaining it all back. I have lost weight before but I always seem to find it.

Good luck with your surgery, I would like to correspond after we get home from the hospital to see how things are progressing.

Jeanette

wow this is intense. I'm so sorry you guys are going through all these problems. I have my surgery on the 3ed of March and I am def. aware of the problems that can happen. I hope everything go's ok with your surgeries. My prayers are with you!