Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who's getting banded on January 13th?

Baylee - I am right with you, I can only have liquids two weeks out. Anything I can drink through a straw, without using a straw. I can also have Jello. I am going to the GNC store to get A better Protein supplement today. I can not wait to eat again.

The port site is painful sometimes and other times not at all and sometimes just a weird feeling. Also is this Protein stuff tearing anybodys stomach up.........if u know what I mean :thumbup: I don't mean to get to personal, haha??????

You poor thing! No food or another week! I think I would go insane! I am on pureed foods, scrambled eggs, and oatmeal now, which makes life much more tolerable. I have heard about going all the way back to clear fluids and working up to solids, via full liquids, mushies, etc after each fill. I know that's wheat they require at my bariatric clinic. Your stomach can get inflamed after a fill, so youhave you do the fluids for a couple of days, but it shouldn't be as long as post-op. At my band support group, they say that they like it because sometimes their weight loss has slowed down or stopped before a fill. The few days on fluids kind of jump starts them back to losing again.

It is amazing the difference in Dr.'s. I am on full liquids for another week, then I can introduce pureed, eggs, soft, stewed foods for one week. Then on to regular food. I questioned the Dr. about the progression and he feels that this will give you the best chance of healing the pouch correctly. I also asked again about crushing my pills. He had a patient several months in the process take a Vitamin and it became stuck. She ended up in surgery with slippage and erosion. So even though it is a bother, I am crushing my pills. Yes the Protein Shakes have been rought on my system!

I have my first fill on the 12th also. I am nervous because the port site is so tender!

I am not complaining, but I have no appetite at all. I get down just what I need to everyday. There has not been one hunger pain or craving (except salt). I am sure this phase will pass, but it has been rough managing my blood sugar and insulin intake. THe good news is I am already on two of my medications!

Hello Everyone. I am a little late joining this thread but I too was banded on the 13th at NYU in NYC! I have to say that I have been feeling pretty good but have been using the liquid pain medicine to sleep at night but tonight I will try to go without - it blocks me up during the day. I am on the "anything through a straw" diet for another 5 days or sa then mushies. I cannot wait for something other than soup! My first fill is February 11th. Thanks for all your postings - knowing what others are going through and that I am not alone!

Welcome Nikki:smile:

Quick question for those of you who are farther along on there diet.. when they say mushies like mashed potatos etc. has anyone eaten grits? I see in my handbook it says warm Cereal so I was just curious. I do my weekly grocery shopping on Thurs. so I am EXCITED to buy something for next week!

O.K. Have to ask as I am TOOO Jealous. Everyone keeps saying that there on liquids that they can drink through a straw, are you allowed to have Tomato or creamy Soups?

Just need to know so that I will have something to dream about tonight :thumbup:

Not fair :thumbup:

I was banded on the 13 and the doctor wants me to stay on Clear Liquids and protien shakes until my first post-op visit. Problem is they called from the office and have to move my visit date up one more week to 2-9-09. I'm not sure I can stand liquids for the additional weeks. Oh well, I will do my best!

I went to GNC and bought the Protein bullets (42 gms Protein per 3.1 ounces). I'm not totally thrilled with the taste but it's worth the 42 grams of protein.

Went back to work today and did well other than getting a little tired.

Welcome Nikki!

Baylee - My Dr. told me thin liquids anything through a straw with out using it. Tomato Soup is a very thin liquid and so are a few other Soups.

I went to the GNC stor today and bought a wehy protien that has 60 grams per serving. The Protein shakes are messing with my stomach as well. I also get some hunger pains but when I drink something it goes away for like a minute or two but then comes back again UGH!

Hi Everybody!

It sounds like everyone is doing great! Hubby and I are too, of course we are one of the lucky ones and getting to eat mushies and squishies. Only a 1/4 cup at a time, but it is something and so far so good, everything is staying in or down.

I am with some of yall the Protein is causing some unpleasant side effects. I have been drinking the pro-slammers in the morning. It's only 3oz and 42 grams of Protein. I drink a little over half in the morning and save the rest for late afternoon, that's the one that gets to me! LOL

Had ff refried Beans and cheese for dinner.....had no idea how good these things were or are now! LOL

We have our 1st appt 2-3 and we dont get a fill for 3 months! Still say it's crazy how different all the doc's are.

I need to go to GNC now and get a smaller drink as these

shakes are 8 oz and it is way to much for one sitting:-)

Cherbear thanks for your thoughts on the Tomato Soup, I think it should be o.k. to NEXT WEEK:thumbup:

O.K. Tweety I am reading your reply about your dinner what is the FF I am thinking French Fry.. if it is you are NO longer allowed to talk I AM STARVING I want some cheese and Beans :tongue: You have me thinking, are French Fries smooshie can I eat that next week.. it is weird what 3 weeks of all liquids can do to your mind! But seriously I think it is great that you and your husband are doing so well, and that you have partner that is actually taking this journey with you.... my husband and kids are hiding from me as all I want to do is smell there food.. they think I am CRAZY:eek:

Baylee! No FF does not mean French Fry silly!! LOL FF - Fat Free. It has been great going through this with my husband.

We have an 18 year old son who can eat whatever he wants and still stay skinny! Kills me!!

He has been eating Taco Bueno, Taco Bell, Arby's, you name it! Smells so good when he brings it home, but he has been forbidden to bring home McDonald's french frys! :tongue:

FAT FREE...... I want French Fries :tongue: I know, it is all in my head. I have two kids and a husband who can eat anything and I am with you, no fries in the house.. that is my downfall !

I just keep telling myself I can make it one more week on liquids. I am hoping once I get food in my body my stomache will not be so messed up from all of this liquid Protein?? Does anyone out there have a glimmer of hope for me, are you guys having tummy issues when you are eating mushies??

Good morning, ladies. I reading that a lot of you are having trouble with the Protein shakes. I dod, to at first, even though I used lactose-free milk. I just cannot tolerate a lot of dairy in my diet. I switched to soy milk and have not had a problem since. If you're using cow's milk, you may want consider switching to soy for a while and se how you do.

Amymoe--you are lucky about not feeling hungry, I feel it all the time. I can't wait to get a fill!

I went to my son's IEP yesterday morning with my Protein shake in hand. His study skills teacher came in, and she had a Protein Shake. She doesn't know that I know she had gastric bypass about 18 months ago, and of course she doesn't know I was banded last week. Incidently, she's lost a ton of weight and is hardley recognizable from before. I kind of smiled privately to myself that the 2 WLS patients in the room were sipping shakes and everyone else was slurping Starbucks!

Good morning Adamsmom, glad to hear that you are doing well and are back at work !I have not returned to work yet as believe it or not I work at a fitness center and NO ONE there knows anything about my surgery!! I do the billing, books etc. so I have been taking my work with me and doing it at home. I am REALLy nervous about sitting in the office with all the "skinny women" as they have JUNK food all day long, very tempting.. and I say skinny instead of healthy as they are little chimmeys with fast food :thumbup:

Is is so funny how you talk about school.... there are a few teachers in my sons school who I know were banded and you are right, when I went in this a.m. they all have a shake or bar etc. and everyone else has coffee.... I never noticed this before. I guess it is a sign of the times.

TOTALLY off the subject.. took my little Chihuahua to the vet yesterday and they did an x-ray to confirm she is expecting... we can see 5 skeletons.. and she is due in about 20 days AHHHHHHH To many little ones in the middle of a Maryland winter :laugh:

I hope everyone has a GREAT day !