Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified of my PreOp Diet

Hi taraBell,

We are going to be lapband sisters......my surgery is on the 16th as well in Mexico. I start my diet on Friday as well, I have learned that if you add Protein to the liguids, you will have the sensation of being full and it has a lasting effect. It has helped me in the past. I also just try to stay busy during the day. Good Luck

Hi everyone!! I start my pre op diet on Friday, and my surgery is scheduled for Jam 16th. I am so worried about the liquid diet. I am allowed three shakes a day for two weeks and all the Water I can drink. I just know I am going to be starving. If I drink a slim fast shake (optima) I am starving 15 minutes later. I am just so scared I will cheat and my surgery will be postponed.

Why does my surgeon have to have such a strict preop diet? If I was allowed even Soup broth I would feel so much more comfortable about this.

When your home and thinking about eating or if your are hungry, etc what I did was go run errands. I would walk around Walmart for 45 mins. I would run to Walgreens and browse around. I cleaned out my closet. I steam cleaned the carpets. I did stuff that kept me busy to keep my mind off the hunger. You can do it!!

UPDATE - I got an email from my surgeon today. he is on vacation and thats why I couldnt get a hold of him at his office. He says I DO NOT NEED the pre op diet! This is fantastic. thanks for the support everyone!

UPDATE - I got an email from my surgeon today. he is on vacation and thats why I couldnt get a hold of him at his office. He says I DO NOT NEED the pre op diet! This is fantastic. thanks for the support everyone!

See! You're a perfect example of why it's best to ask your surgeon and do what he says! You'd have gone thru torture for nothing! :tongue2:

I unfortunately DID need 3 weeks of preop. I'm so glad you don't!

Wow, I'm surprised at the length of the pre-op diets posted. My pre-op diet is only for 3 days (all liquid). I'm thinking of calling my doctor and making sure it's correct. And I thought 3 days was tough, 14 sounds very hard. Hang in there!

See! You're a perfect example of why it's best to ask your surgeon and do what he says! You'd have gone thru torture for nothing! :tongue2:

I unfortunately DID need 3 weeks of preop. I'm so glad you don't!

there was some confusion cause I called his office and got a call back from his receptionist and she told me that Dr. Hamamji's office has nothing to do with my preop, that I have to call Cosmeticare, where I am having the surgery. I was like, No I dont think so. Thats when I emailed my nutritionist and told her what I was told and a day later my surgeon emails me from vacation.

I am so relieved.

Good for you pursuing it until you got a clear answer! :tongue2:

Hi everyone!! I start my pre op diet on Friday, and my surgery is scheduled for Jam 16th. I am so worried about the liquid diet. I am allowed three shakes a day for two weeks and all the Water I can drink. I just know I am going to be starving. If I drink a slim fast shake (optima) I am starving 15 minutes later. I am just so scared I will cheat and my surgery will be postponed.

Why does my surgeon have to have such a strict preop diet? If I was allowed even Soup broth I would feel so much more comfortable about this.

The pre op diet that i also started in Friday is a little different than yours I am allowed five shakes a day with sugar free Jello, broth, and sugar free popcicles. maybe you should check into this goodluck

my surgery was scheduled for january16th and my doctor canceled it,since i couldnt stay on liquid pre op for 3 weeks.i was advised to stay on liquid diet for 3 weeks to shrink my liver.since i do have a non cancerous liver tumor.:thumbup:

my surgery was scheduled for january16th and my doctor canceled it,since i couldnt stay on liquid pre op for 3 weeks.i was advised to stay on liquid diet for 3 weeks to shrink my liver.since i do have a non cancerous liver tumor.:thumbup:

At least you didn't go through the surgery just to be told your liver was too thick and you couldn't get the band!

I'm sorry this happened to you! but you're another good example of why we need to do what our doctors tell us.

At least you didn't go through the surgery just to be told your liver was too thick and you couldn't get the band!

I'm sorry this happened to you! but you're another good example of why we need to do what our doctors tell us.

thats very much true,but i had rescheduled for january 27th and i should have started the pre op diet atleast january 5th,but i did tell the office i am starting today 1/8,so i hope i can do this for the next 19 days until surgery.i dont know how am i going to concentrate on my job,i work 17 hour shifts usually 3 or 4 times a week.I believe i can do it.wish me luck.thanks :thumbup:

The pre op diet that i also started in Friday is a little different than yours I am allowed five shakes a day with sugar free Jello, broth, and sugar free popcicles. maybe you should check into this goodluck

I am going to be on the same pre-op diet starting Jan. 19th, and I'm really nervous that I wont be able to do it. How is it going for you? Has anyone else done a similar pre-op diet and can share any tips on how to keep from feeling hungry? Like I said, I'm nervous that I'm going to be hungry and I'm going to cheat and mess up and have my surgery postponed.

I'm on my pre-op too. I get banded on the 15th, so we're neck and neck, lady! :-) It does stink. I'm allowed 2 shakes a day (morning and afternoon) and a frozen dinner (Lean Cuisine or WW) for dinner. I can have broth and sugar free Jello. It hasn't been too bad so far, but I did finally cheat last night with some wine. Ooooops! Other than that I have NOT cheated at all! I'm certainly keeping busy though, so as not to even think about food! :-) Good luck.

Yes, this Pre-Op diet has NOT been easy. I'm on week 3. I started week 1 with 2 shakes a day and a lean Protein, veggies and salad for dinner. And that was during the week of the holidays. I did good! No sweets or anything. Then for the past week and a half I've been doing 3 shakes a day. Yes, I'm hungry. But I made this decision on my own to have this surgery. So I must do what is required of me. It's all for a better me in the end and I believe will be well worth it. 4 days till my banding! I'm anxious and really looking forward to it. I'm down 10 pounds already pre-op so I think I'm doing good.

I'm starting my first day of the pre-op diet today. My Doc has me on "Bariatric Advantage" Protein Shakes for two weeks. Quite frankly I really think it's going to be difficult, but I am self pay so I have more concern about a "fatty liver" and being unable to complete the surgery. I don't have the means to pay for the procedure twice. I will be banded on the 22nd, looking forward to that and trying to be strong in the interim.