Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified of my PreOp Diet

I had the two week liquid diet pre-op and it sucked. I hated it but I did it anyway. After a few days the hunger subsided into a mind numbing fog. Sure, my pets stayed far far away from me and my kids made sure all their fingers were accounted for when i was around but I got through it. The first few days are terrible then you get used to it.

I had the two week liquid diet pre-op and it sucked. I hated it but I did it anyway. After a few days the hunger subsided into a mind numbing fog. Sure, my pets stayed far far away from me and my kids made sure all their fingers were accounted for when i was around but I got through it. The first few days are terrible then you get used to it.

I agree with that... I am on day four of my two week liquid diet and it's no easy thing.

BUT, yesterday and today have been far better than the first two days when my body was in total shock.

The shakes/fiber drinks/etc. have been far easier to get down now. I find it easier to control my 'real food' cravings by 24/7 having SOME sort of liquid with me...water is my new best friend.

The other thing? ALL THE VITAMINS!! Holy cow...4 big chewable Vitamins a day--- a multi and a calicum. Fun stuff!!!

I can't imagine doing the surgery WITHOUT the liquid pre-op diet. It truly seems like doing this is forcing me to get my head in the game and HOPEFULLY prevent nutrition problems post-op.

The other big help is my wife. She's getting banded three weeks after me, so she knows what I'm going thru, because she'll be right behind me!!

Good luck to all! I'm getting banded on Jan. 19th in Flint, Michigan. CAN NOT WAIT!

I'm starting my first day of the pre-op diet today. My Doc has me on "Bariatric Advantage" Protein Shakes for two weeks. Quite frankly I really think it's going to be difficult, but I am self pay so I have more concern about a "fatty liver" and being unable to complete the surgery. I don't have the means to pay for the procedure twice. I will be banded on the 22nd, looking forward to that and trying to be strong in the interim.

At my preop appointment yesterday, I was told to start my preop diet. I was supposed to go and get the Bariatric Advantage shakes as well, but the place was closed until Monday. So i just picked up some whey Protein Powder at the grocery store and will have to wait until Monday to get the bariatric Advantage. how are they tasting?

I too am on Bariatric Advantage... 6 shakes a day, broth, sugar free Jello and popcicles... I have been doing it since the 5th... to be honest, it was easier M-F at work. Here at home I am eating more jello and eating more broth. Luckily I can have caffeine free coffee, tea, crystal light and any other no cal drinks. The shakes weren't too bad to begin with, now, I suck them down as fast as I can... I'm almost on the downside of this 14 day diet. Surgery on the 19th. I agree the first 4-5 days are the hardest. It's not so bad now... I am numb as well to "food".

I agree the first 3 days were the worst, I wanted bread and Peanut Butter in the worst way. My partner has been great to fix any food that will make smells when I'm at work. I was able to make some of my own broth too, and can do some with curry like flavors and another with more lime, garlic Tomato flavors. It's helped to have variety so while I'm getting the shakes down now, I can try different flavors throughout the day. I've frozen some of each broth for post-surgery.

At my preop appointment yesterday, I was told to start my preop diet. I was supposed to go and get the Bariatric Advantage shakes as well, but the place was closed until Monday. So i just picked up some whey Protein powder at the grocery store and will have to wait until Monday to get the Bariatric Advantage. how are they tasting?

To be honest, not good, but the chocolate Mint is in my opinion the best, it seems the mint covers up a decent amount of the bad aftertaste.

i'm 4 days into my preop diet and i think at this point i would kill someone a just a bite of pizza. i made the mistake of drinking Ensure as my Protein Drink - tastes ok but is low Protein. i just bought Muscle Milk today, so i'm hoping it helps. i'm on the OCC pre op of a couple Protein Drinks a day, unlimited salad, and lean cuisine. seriously, after a lifetime of overloading on carbs and cheese, this is killing me!!!

Hi Tarabell, how are you doing? Diet going alright? What did your surgeon say about broth? I am a trained chef so if you need some ideas pre-op or post about how to make life bearable on liquids let me know.

My favorite was canned or homemade chicken broth seasoned with slices of garlic, ginger, and a little soy sauce heated on the stove for about 15 minutes. (scoop out the ginger and garlic) Add thinly sliced scallions (green onions), and if you can have eggs scramble a couple in a bowl and let a thin stream fall into the Soup as you stir. It makes a great egg drop Soup that is flavorful, no carb, and protein-full. (you can use egg whites only if you wish)

Good luck!

Hi Tarabell, how are you doing? Diet going alright? What did your surgeon say about broth? I am a trained chef so if you need some ideas pre-op or post about how to make life bearable on liquids let me know.

My favorite was canned or homemade chicken broth seasoned with slices of garlic, ginger, and a little soy sauce heated on the stove for about 15 minutes. (scoop out the ginger and garlic) Add thinly sliced scallions (green onions), and if you can have eggs scramble a couple in a bowl and let a thin stream fall into the Soup as you stir. It makes a great egg drop soup that is flavorful, no carb, and protein-full. (you can use egg whites only if you wish)

Good luck!

Its going alright. My boyfriend is doing an amazing job of keeping me away from food. lol The headaches are terrible. I hope this passes. I have surgery Friday.

Thank you for the recipe. I can't have eggs tho. :thumbdown: I will have to try the broth with the garlic and ginger.

Honey I am feeling your pain....I am on day 7 of the liquid preop diet but it is getting better for me I believe. At least today was better. The first few days was awful. I never realized how many food commercials was on TV. :thumbdown: Anyway, hang in there......just keep the end picture in your mind. Also, I kept myself soooo busy today....my house is spotless...but now its almost bedtime and I havent really thought alot about food today. I just hope the rest of the days are as good as today. I am able to have broths, sugarfree puddings, popsicles, low sugar juices, sf Jello, Protein drinks...etc...but I know alot of peoples preop diets are different.....My surgery is this Thursday the 15th and I am soooo excited. Good luck to you!!!!!!

Honey I am feeling your pain....I am on day 7 of the liquid preop diet but it is getting better for me I believe. At least today was better. The first few days was awful. I never realized how many food commercials was on TV. :thumbdown: Anyway, hang in there......just keep the end picture in your mind. Also, I kept myself soooo busy today....my house is spotless...but now its almost bedtime and I havent really thought alot about food today. I just hope the rest of the days are as good as today. I am able to have broths, sugarfree puddings, popsicles, low sugar juices, sf Jello, Protein drinks...etc...but I know alot of peoples preop diets are different.....My surgery is this Thursday the 15th and I am soooo excited. Good luck to you!!!!!!

You get to have so much! I would kill for a pudding. lol Congrats on your surgery! And I noticed the food commercials today too! I ever noticed them before. And there are so many cooking shows as well! complete torture

stay with it girls..we are all doing great, & keep drinking plenty of water/juice..it does help a lot..

i dont think it makes any difference wether your self pay or not, well to me it doesnt, i want to look after my heart/health & i dont need to be spending money to tell me if i should cheat or not on the diet, were all here to get the same help, not to be branded.

oh, pudding does sound delicious right now... I am 9.5 days in and really feeling down and out... soooo tired. Anyone else? Last week I felt great (maybe because I was excercising?). This week I have NO energy whatsoever.

by the way... it is pretty sad when low fat low sodium chicken broth tastes like Heaven! My husband said it tasted like Water to him... oh it is soooo good.

Keep it up! We are doing it!!!! This will all be over soon. Alot of people say this is the hardest part of all.:rolleyes:

oh, pudding does sound delicious right now... I am 9.5 days in and really feeling down and out... soooo tired. Anyone else? Last week I felt great (maybe because I was excercising?). This week I have NO energy whatsoever.

HALO, I was in the same boat as you, really tired, but I talked to the pharmacist at a natural health store, and he recommended taking Vitamin B (50 or 100 - its a mix of whole bunch of B vitamins). i've been taking them for few days now and i've really noticed an improvement in my energy levels. good luck!

I got my date set for Feb 4th and I have to start my liquid diet tomorrow (Jan 15). I am wayyyy overweight so I understand the request. However, I am having anxiety issues because of the length. I was told 60 grs. of Protein a day, Crystal light, Low sodium broths, sugar free Jello, Sugar Free popcicles, Sugar Free Carnation Instant Breakfast with some blended banana, Protein Shakes.< /p>