Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Terrified of my PreOp Diet

Hi everyone!! I start my pre op diet on Friday, and my surgery is scheduled for Jam 16th. I am so worried about the liquid diet. I am allowed three shakes a day for two weeks and all the Water I can drink. I just know I am going to be starving. If I drink a slim fast shake (optima) I am starving 15 minutes later. I am just so scared I will cheat and my surgery will be postponed.

Why does my surgeon have to have such a strict preop diet? If I was allowed even Soup broth I would feel so much more comfortable about this.

Tarabell, just do what your surgeon tells you and you'll be fine. Ask HIM if you can have broth. They have their reasons for the diets and it is so important you do as they say. I hate to tell you this, but the 2 week post op diet was, for me at least, even harder. Preop I was excited about losing and getting the band. Post op I was just hungry...but you have to stick to it post op too or you can tear your stitches, cause slippage, erosion down the line, etc.

I can tell you this...it is TOUGH. BUT ... it passes and then you won't ever have to "diet" again, unless you want to. I lost 5 pounds over the holidays and ate everything I wanted to. It just happened to be way less than in years past! So buck up and hang tough. It's hard but you can do it, and it will be worth it. And tell your surgeon about the broth, see what he says!

the diets suck... I'll pray for you.

I'm a little shocked you can't have broth. I agree that you should ask just to make sure. You should also ask if you can have crystal light or something also.

The liquid diet before surgery was not too hard for me b/c my husband did it with me. Then when i wheeled back to surgery he went out to Taco Bell!! :) He's so silly!

I think you'll be fine...stay strong! Do you work? That helped me a lot....working during the day! You also need to invest in lots of sugar free gum....just don't swallow it.

Oh wait....I could also have 1 sugar free popsicle every day!

Well, all docs are different! Just know that his rules are for your best interest!:Banane20:

Thank you for your replies. I am going to talk to him this week when i stop in his offices to pick up the Protein shakes. Maybe he will be able to better lay out what I can have during the pre op diet. but if all I can have are the shakes and Water, then that is all I will have. I certainly do NOT want to be denied the surgery due to my liver being too fatty. I can only imagine how it looks right now.

I do work, Mon - Fri 10am to 4pm. I work with a bunch of guys all younger than me. My boss is 23 and everyone is really supportive of what I am doing so that will help. I live with my boyfriend and he said that he will do the fist few days with me till i get used to it. he cant do anymore than that cause he is too skinny as it is.

thanks again everyone, I just needed the reassurance that i can do it and that I will get through it.

Everyone's pre-op diet is different, mine consist of :

NO FATS/SPREADS/SUGARS

eggs = 1 a day

milk = 1/4 pint daily

all foods weighing 100grams

fish

meat

vegetables

cheese

cereals = 1 Cereal bar ie.. 1 shredded wheat with milk

Water,tea,cofee,diluted orange squash = free flow throughout the day

I start mine on the 7th Jan for 14 days, i have already made a bit of a start so it wont come too much of a shock to me

I started today. Low carb diet basically. Also low fat.

My plan is to use mostly slimfast low carb drink. Maybe some egg whites when I'm really hungry and small quantities of lean meats.

I have surgery on the 14th.

I did manage to lose 3lbs in the last 10 days, even though I wasn't required to be on the diet yet and it was the holiday..:)

Edited by Jaffa
spelling

I'm a little shocked you can't have broth. I agree that you should ask just to make sure. You should also ask if you can have crystal light or something also.

<snipped>

Oh wait....I could also have 1 sugar free popsicle every day!

Well, all docs are different! Just know that his rules are for your best interest!:)

I'm doing the same diet you are, starting Wednesday. In the meantime, I'm drinking Atkins shakes and eating lightweight foods to prepare so I won't starve.

Lena

Hey don't be scared of the diet. Every doctor has his own strategy for helping patients lose weight before the surgery so listen to what he says. Ask him if you can add it to you daily diet, since it's savory and it'll help you to stay on the wagon. I assume eating broth would not really keep the pounds from coming off during the preop, unless he has an issue with the sodium content.

The pre-op diet is so hard. I drank broth and lots of it to help with my hunger. Ask your doctor if you can have broth.< /p>

I would be drinking liquid shakes or liquid fruit Protein drinks like Isopure, which have 40 grams of Protein and zero carbs.

Protein will help you fill fuller longer. Ask your doctor if you can have a Protein Drink such as Isopure.< /p>

7 months ago, right before I started the pre-op diet my Doc's office called and said my insurance had denied me. I was so crushed. To make a long story short. I just found out today I was approved, and surgery is scheduled in two weeks. JANUARY 13. I start pre-op diet today. shakes. I'm a wreck! I feel like I forgot everything the nutrionist told me. I'm excited but at the same time a little scared...

7 months ago, right before I started the pre-op diet my Doc's office called and said my insurance had denied me. I was so crushed. To make a long story short. I just found out today I was approved, and surgery is scheduled in two weeks. JANUARY 13. I start pre-op diet today. shakes. I'm a wreck! I feel like I forgot everything the nutrionist told me. I'm excited but at the same time a little scared...

Aww thats great news about the surgery date, & your going to be on a high for a few days of happiness, you will be fine on your pre op diet..it says on my letter from the nutrition i can call them anytime if im not sure of anything, can you do the same ?

Hi everyone!! I start my pre op diet on Friday, and my surgery is scheduled for Jam 16th. I am so worried about the liquid diet. I am allowed three shakes a day for two weeks and all the Water I can drink. I just know I am going to be starving. If I drink a slim fast shake (optima) I am starving 15 minutes later. I am just so scared I will cheat and my surgery will be postponed.

Why does my surgeon have to have such a strict preop diet? If I was allowed even Soup broth I would feel so much more comfortable about this.

Hang in there! I started mine on the 26th and at first I was freaking out. I am allowed broth, crystal light, 2-4oz 100% fruit juice, and dannon light & fit yogurt. My calorie count is 1000. It's getting better by the day. My DH is preparing his own meals also.

Today I went in for my PATs (pre-admission tests) and I got weighed and since the 23rd I have lost another five pounds :frown:

We're all going to get through this and it will be so worth it!

I'm currently in my 2 week pre-op diet also. 3 shakes a day. Water or no-cal sugar free decaffeinated drinks throughout the day. I will admit, I'm looking forward to the day before surgery when I can have something other then the shakes!

Cooking and cleaning are my rent here at my parents, but they're being great and understanding about my not wanting to cook for the next week or so, just until I get used to not eating with them that is.