Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommendations for the operation

hello all :thumbup:

i am new to the website but have been thinking about the op for ages. i have seen my doctor, but according to them i am not 'over-weight enough' to have the op on the NHS, so am thinking of paying for it myself.

i like many others do not have limitless amounts of money so going abroad seems like the best option for me. just to be safe i will have my mother going with me so that i will have a helping hand with everything when i am there (i don't do pain lol, she will need to hold my hand :eek: ).

i was wondering if you could give me the names and places you had your operation, how to get in contact with them and their website address if they have one. also include those you would not recommend for others as i will know who to stay away from.

who, where, when, website/contact details, price (doesn't need to be exact), what the price included.

this discussion will help many more than me as i am sure there are many who are confused about going through the procedure. not the side effects or operation itself, but confused about applying for it.

please post and help others

:cool2:

I am interested in the same thing! I am too small (which makes me laugh) for insurance so I have to self pay. I am also thinking about going to Mexico and did some reading on here regarding experiences. I have read a lot of positive posts about their experiences but I have not seen where fiscally it makes more sense. The price looks to be pretty much the same as in the states.

I'm also wanting the same thing and thinking of going to France or Belgium but would need to pay on a plan as I do not have the money. I'm also too small for the NHS route, lol, makes me laugh since I have yo yoed now for so many years and even when I was 'BIG' enough I still wasnt able to get it on the NHS??? Work that one out?

Hi all

I am in the same situation as you guys - not big enough for the NHS to fund an op.

I saw Consultant last Saturday - Mr Toh in Farnham (Clare Park Hospital). If I go ahead this will be as a private self-funding patient.

The op / aftercare / 1 year of fills will cost £6,995 :cursing:

From my research, I believe that is about the going rate for the UK (South East).

I have also done some research about going overseas where the cost is considerably less. I am sure this has worked out fine for some people, but I am a little nervous for the pure fact if something goes wrong, where do I stand and more importantly, what would I do.....??

As the private hospital is less than 10 mins from where I live, that is a plus factor.

Having met Mr Toh, I thought he was very good and explained the procedure and went through my weight history in detail. I didn't feel rushed at all.

My next step is to see his Dietician and then commit to the op. I am 99.9% certain I will go ahead.

Good luck with your decisions.

Lisa

Hi i had my op in belgium with dr chris de bruyne cost €4070 thats for op hotel for 2people for 3nights and all taxis i cant speak high enough of this surgeon he comes to various parts of uk and ireland once a month to do aftercare and fills which is €120 he is one of the leading surgeons in this field if u go to the doctors and hospitals part of forum u will see a thread anyone know of dr de bruyne and u will see all the girls on there share their experience the hospital in belgium was excellent u email dr chris directly at chris.debruyne@advalvas.be i was waiting 5wks for the op i cant speak highly enough of him so check out that thread u will find it very usefull i think his website is obesity-assist just cant remember but email him direct he'l mail u back wanting to know some info then his manager wil get on to u i went with the package so all i had to sort was flights but u can just pay for op and sort everthing urself which is between €3500 - 3950 but the package is extremely handy

me too I'm using Dr Chris, cost for package 4075 euro plus £140 return flight for 2 people from Heathrow to Brussels, I being banded on 13th Feb, waiting time from enquiery approx 6 weeks. BMI 35, and he said yes its ok

Not sure where you are, bluemonkey.

I am in Houston, and had my operation through TrueResults. If you are private pay, they are fast (I was 3 weeks from my initial consult to surgery) and pretty good to work with, though you need to stay on top of them about apointment - don't expect them to do it. I paid 12,900... and that included 2 years worth of followup and 10 fills.

As for surgery recommendations, since I don't know anything about you as far as health, how much you weigh, how long you have fought weight problems, other health issues, etc., I couldn't even begin to recommend surgery.

but then again, I am one of those who really doesn't like the band, even though I like the results. It was just something I needed to do. But the proceedure itself, the restrictions (both on my food and my social life) and the general thought that I am forced to be in it for the long haul. Unless you really have a reason that it is the last alternative, I would not recommend it.

But if you are in the US, and are set on surgery, True Results is a good option, and they have sites all over the country. (I think their website is www.trueresults.com).

Just booked the operation. I will be banded on 24th Feb. it's gonna cost me £4950 for the op, plus travel to birmingham(Doland park)

(about £100 ish). it's happening with WGA who are part of the hospital group.

Steve - in the UK, and just to say i meant 'recommendation for where to have the operation'. i thought it was quite hard for people to know who to go with due to cost and what people say.

fills will cost me about £125 each, and i can get them done in Southampton (i live in Bournemouth - about a 30 drive away)

only bad thing, is that check-in on the day of the op is 7:00AM!!!

well, wish me luck with the pre-op diet, lol. any questions regarding WGA i will happily answer.