Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Dec 23,2008

HI, I am really getting nervous about this surgery just two days before Christmas. Wonder if I will be able to go to my sisters on Christmas day? I have done really well on the Sugar Busters diet before the surgery and have already lost 13 lbs and seen lots of Christmas goodies come and go-but didn't even get off the wagon one time. I have read lots of good stories and a few bad ones, but nothing is gonna stop me now-its full speed ahead. Hope to be under 200 by June. I was 288 before i started the Sugar Busters diet. I am 6 feet tall so no one can really tell that I have lost 13 lbs even.

I went to my son's b'day party on Sat. after having sleeve surgery on Wed. (coming home on Thurs.) I just sat around and drank my Protein Drink. I didn't last a long time but I was glad to put in an appearance.

Sleeve is slang for a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. It's just a different type of WLS. The operation takes slightly longer and maybe a day or two longer to recover from than a band so if I can go to a party so soon after, it's likely you will too.

The only think I'd advise is to not promise anything ahead of time. Because sometimes people are in a lot of pain and can't do anything for a few days and it's hard to predict ahead of time if you will be one who is in the minority.

:thumbup:

Well here it is the day after my lap band installation-I have not had to take any pain medication or nausea meds. I am just a little sore -mainly where the port was put int. I have a small amount of the gas still left in my stomach cavity, but i am told it will go away soon. I am planning on driving to my sisters house which is about 30 miles this afternoon. The hiatle hernia surgery was small and he said not as bad as he thought. I am eating popsicles coming and going and drinking tea, coffee, Water, and chicken broth(which was very good and made form fresh chicken)The whole thing took about 1 hour and 45 minutes. I got up at 6am and started wrapping presents.

I started on the Sugar Busters diet a week before surgery and i have lost 12 lbs already.

Edited by JulieJulie

What exactly is the Sugar Busters diet? Is it a store brand thing like SlimFast or something? I'm hearing a lot about a pre-op liquid diet and I'm curious. I've got my first consult with psych and nutrition on 1-6-09 and haven't been informed, but I'm looking into as much as I can before then.

omg I have been looking for someone who has or is doing the suagr busters diet. Ok, I am doing it to and I feel like I have cheated. Do you think it is ok for me to eat sugar free pudding and suagr free candy? I didnt eat alot because I was scared I wasnt supposed to be eating it.

I was banded on the 23rd! Eventhough I had had surgeries before and read all the very wonderful information on this board on what to expect. I was nervous, scared and excited.

I was checked in/preped and then my family came in to see me. After they left, I have totally forgotten anything and only remember when I "woke" up in recover...thinking why is the clock on the wall so blurry..

Then I was taken to my room, my family came in and my vitals were taken and I was xrayed. No barium thingy.

Once I was able to have Water, I had no problem sipping it.

Today, I'm pretty sore but I am keeping ahead of the pain. I'm still dozing to sleep off and on. I was able to take my regular medication (small pills) with no problems.

I feel like I'm floating with all the Water I'm drinking. Not hungry at all!!!

Hi, everyone-this is great.....I have still not had any pain medication and all that i feel is like bruised inside. The incisions do not hurt and they used that super glue like stuff. I am still eating popsicles and crystal lite. Had a cup of coffee (decaf) one day. I haven't had any food now for 5 days and am not hungry as long as i keep drinking my liquids. I am watering down my fruit juice. I feel like there is gas in there in my upper chest that won't burp up but other than that i am fine. I have a large scar under my left arm-prob about 4 inches long-this is from the port entry i think-my Dr puts the port in your left shoulder between the upper part of your breast and your collar bone. Don't ask me why because i don't know. I weighed today and i am at 270. started at 288.

The sugar busters diet is basically like the adkins diet a lot-nothing white just meat and vegetables and a few fruits.But it works. I have my follow up Dr visit on the 30th, will let you all know how it went. I can't wait until i can exercise in 6 weeks.:tongue2:

I had my lap band surgery in Albany too, by Dr. Bagnato. No problems and not enough pain to even take the liquid pain medicine that he prescribed. The next day I was up and around getting ready for Christmas. I work at the Marine Base in Albany.