Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hair loss and bathing

did you have hair loss after surgery?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. did you have hair loss after surgery?

• yes, right away and lots
    • yes, right away and a little
    • yes, but not til later, but lots
    • yes, but not til later, and just a little
    • no, my hair stayed on my head!

I hope that helps you! I did have mine checked when I was losing so much hair. I had it checked several times and it was always normal.

I hope that helps you! I did have mine checked when I was losing so much hair. I had it checked several times and it was always normal.

Yes, the last time I had it checked it should normal, but nonetheless the symptoms were there, so I made the doctor increase the meds just slightly, which resolved the issues.

i'm starting to wonder about some (less important) logistics.

1) how long after the surgery did you have to wait to take a shower/bath?

2) how common is hair loss? i'm planning on donating my long hair to locks of love, and i'm trying to decide if i should do that before surgery.

i'm sure i'll think of more later, but that's all for now.

First off, I took a shower a day after surgery. It was wonderful:biggrin:

It is more common for Hair loss approximately 2 to 3 months after surgery. I did lose some hair right after surgery--due to stress--and it was only a little.

That is really cool that you are donating your hair. I am sure that somebody will feel very loved and special to have somebody think of them. I never thought of how much I loved my hair until I started losing it. It can be an emotional process and even cause some sadness. Helping somebody else, during the midst of your own crisis is very thoughtful.

I am not banded yet, but I will be soon. I have lost hair during two other weight loss attempts, when taking birth control, and after the births of both of my children, so I also worry about what will happen after the band. I have very thick hair, so most folks never knew. Then again, I never even got close to losing so much I'd need a wig and mine never came out in clumps. It was stand by strand, falling in the sink when I blew my hair dry, extra stuff in the drain trap, and on the floor of the bathroom. Every other day or so, a fallen piece would droop down in my face or tickle my neck, and I would just lift it off and throw it away. Though nobody really noticed, I knew, and that was hard. It was more weird than anything else. It just felt wrong... like my body was trying to tell me something was not OK. It nagged at me in the back of my mind like I was wrong to try to lose weight or maybe I was sick somehow. Perhaps with proper supplementation and the support of a nutritionist, I won't have that symptom this time...dunno. I kind of know some tricks to deal with it, though. Short hair, layered hair, or curly hair looks fuller and healthier. I used root booster always, and did not use any shine products or conditioners that weighted my hair down. With oilier/heavier products, it looks thinner. At it's worst, I found a product that was like a perm that doesn't give you curls (you don't use rods at all). I don't know what it was called, but it did give me lift.

Does anyone know if Rogaine helps, I was banded a week ago. But when I was 20 I lost alot of weight on a high proteen very low cal diet and my hair got much thinner. Well it is 30 years later and I just got banded so thier is even less now. From what I hear Vitimans, proteen are important, but we have rogaine now so wondering if that will help.

Rogaine may help temporarily, but the second you stop using it then your hair will fall out. Best thing to do is take chewable Vitamins including B12 and Biotin. And take a Calcium 600 mg +D chewable.

I lose hair once in a while...shedding.... even though I take Vitamins. It comes back quickly, and I lose it pretty evenly so others do not really notice.

If you do lose alot and have bald spots, then check out a hair powder product on QVC that Joan Rivers endorses. A lot of people have said it works really well with blending in the bald spots.

Rogaine may help temporarily, but the second you stop using it then your hair will fall out. Best thing to do is take chewable multi Vitamin, and B12, Biotin, and take a Calcium 600 mg +D chewable (these are all separate tablets).

I lose hair once in a while...shedding.... even though I take Vitamins. It comes back quickly, and I lose it pretty evenly so others do not really notice.

If you do lose alot and have bald spots, then check out a hair powder product on QVC that Joan Rivers endorses. A lot of people have said it works really well with blending in the bald spots.

I just got a revision surgery from band to sleeve. I asked him if my hair was going to fall out again and he told me to increase my zinc. I told him I got plenty of Protein after band surgery and it still fell out from 4 months post op to one year. He said it's not Protein, it's zinc.

I need to remember to get some next time I am at the store. My hair is still not completely recovered from band surgery over 2 years ago.