Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Banded 9/24 have not lost!

I was banded on 9/24/08 and have not lost a lb! Pre and post op I lost 20 lbs, I have gained that back. I had 2 cc's at my first fill and 1 cc about a week ago. My Dr. said it takes time. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!!:wink:

O - so sorry to hear that, I know that has to suck. Sounds like you really need to get your fill level straight. Your fill schedule seems a little conservative. My doc says if you are hungry between meals, can eat more than 4 oz or can eat bread, you need another fill.

Do you think you are just able to eat more than you should or are you eating sweets or drinking liquid calories?

Hi omgogal,

I was banded a few weeks after you on 10/13 and I have right about 3.2cc in my 10cc band.

My surgeon is very strict with giving fills and will only schedule new fills no sooner then every 4 weeks (of course you can get an unfill at any time). My next fill is scheduled for 12/29 when are you scheduled for?

A small part might be the fills (as it seems very few of us have difficulty losing weight without proper restriction), but you also didn't put in much information about how you are currently eating.

Have you totally gone back to your old eating habits or are you working the Protein the way we are taught? Even though I was pretty prepared for the surgery, I am still kind of surprised of just how much work the band is. It is not easy to make good food choices every day, and the more you let it slide, the harder it seems to get back on track :wink:

I would suggest going back to basics be making better food choices and eating primarily lean Protein along with fresh fruits and vegetables...boring, I know.

You might also want to look into your support groups or if they don't offer groups, check with other bariatric surgeon's offices.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

Thanks for the reply. I am new at this whole Blog thing and have no idea what I am doing.

I can eat anything with no restriction. I really thought the band would help a little more than this. But, I am not following any type of diet.

Ok-- First- I know it is personal but a lot of us put our weight etc on our signatures because it gives info that helps responses. That way everyone knows where you started, your fills etc. It's your choice but I think it helps give a barometer and info so you don't have to clarify etc.

So- I was banded a week before you and have lost 15 lbs. Basically 1 lb a week. Would be more if I could get my booty to the gym. I can tell you-- the only thing that has saved me from not losing or gaining since being able to eat solid food (week 3 after surgery) is weighing EVERYTHING. I eat 4 oz meals at a time-3x a day only. Usually it is 3oz of Protein and 1 oz veggie. After my 3rd fill it is hard for me to eat first thing in the morning and I was drinking a Protein Shake but when I went for fill #4 yesterday my doc told me to absolutely NOT drink Protein Shakes anymore but wait till I could eat solid food and then try to keep 5-6 hours between meals from there. So I may have 2 meals a day or I might have 3. Then, if I get hungry before 5-6 hours then I need more restriction.

Also-- no drinking 30 min before and after eating--not while eating either. And I really do what I can to take 30 minutes to eat my 4 oz. It really helps you feel full off that amount of food vs eating more quickly.

I really didn't have restriction till fill #3 and now after #4 it is even better. I just really tried to stick to my rules to get in the habit and learn what 40oz keeps me full longest and what doesn't. Drinking warm tea w/lemon gets me thru the day-I drink TONS. The only thing I drink with calories in it is wine (1 or 2 glasses a nite). I have had slip ups and eaten "wrong" foods (piece of pizza, taco) but it's part of the process of redefining my relationship with food.

You probably need more restriction......

This site is great-- make sure to keep coming back! Even if you're having a low point (we all have them) everyone is here to support each other. And tell you how it is straight!

Don't worry-- as many bandsters have said to me-- it is a marathon not a sprint. It didn't take 3 months to gain the weight... :wink:

kimmyv, thanks so much for the reply! I can't add my weight to my info, I would die if my bf walked in or one of my boys and saw it. Maybe something I can do after I start loosing and get courage.

I am not following any type of diet. I think I will get all my info out and re-read everything. You have helped me by reminding me this is a tool not a magic miracle.

Welcome to bandster hell! Most all of us have been there. You have the band in place, but it isn't providing any restriction yet. It's like having a battery that isn't charged.

So you can, for the most part, eat nearly just as you did pre-band. Most surgeons are focusing on healing during this period rather than weight loss.

This is a good time, though, to get focused on better eating habits and proper nutrition. Practice eating small amounts of nutritious foods, in small bites, and chew chew chew before swallowing. Like others said, you'll slip up and fall off the wagon and eat foods you're not supposed to - so what - brush yourself off and get back up on that wagon. The band still takes a lot of will power in order to succeed - especially until you get satisfying restriction. And remember, it may take 2, 3, 4 or even more fills before you achieve that restriction. Just stay focused... And the whole "eat your Protein first" thing... That's instructed because when you have adequate restriction, sometimes you won't be able to eat much and it's better to get your Protein down just in case that's all you can get down. Good luck on your journey.

Brad

Does your surgeon work w/a nutritionist that you can call? My place has 2 on staff and I can call or email them w/these sorts of questions any time I want.

Also there is a cookbook out "Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery" that has really wonderful realistic recipes. I think you need to start following some level of diet modification. Sit down, put some nice music on, and list what you are going to eat for the next week. I know that sounds a little over organized but doing that when your head is clear is great b/c it gives you a path for one week. And you can always change it if you don't want to eat something that night.

I agree with the rest of the posters about fills etc. I'm am still in the beginning of all this - but I really think in my mind that this is the tool that will make the diet and exercise work and stick.

I'm sorry you do not feel comfortable putting your weight down. As you can see there are people of all shapes and sizes on this board and we are a super friendly bunch. I don't think I've ever come across a mean nasty post once. We really do all try to stick together even if we will never meet one another. We are at different mile markers but we are all on the same path and we can all relate. Listing your weight and fills does help people help you.

I hope you work this out. Keep the board posted and let us know how you are doing. There is a lot of help out there so don't give up.

I was banded a couple of weeks before you, but I'm very lucky that my doctor isn't so conservative with fills. Since you're able to eat pretty normally still, and you don't have very much Fluid in your band, it doesn't sound like you have a lot of restriction. It wasn't until my last fill that I felt significant restriction, and I have quite a bit more in my band than you. One thing, I'm self pay, with only one year of free fills, so my doctor is pretty aggressive with fills if we feel like we need them. I got my first two at two-week intervals, but I think my third one (from about a month ago) will take me over the holidays. It may change, but I think I'm very close to the "sweet spot".

Also, we were told after the band not to weigh foods, but to measure them. It's about the volume of food in the upper pouch, not so much the weight. Until I had good restriction I was eating up to a cup of food at a meal, but now I'm consistently eating 1/2 cup portions.

Good luck, and until you have better restriction, you won't appreciate just how much the band helps. I fought hunger all the time on past diets, but now I'm rarely hungry, and never ravenous.