Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cali Bandsters Unite!!

Cool Beans looking forward to it. Where are all the other SoCal Bandsters?

Penni,

As you know I am in for the 30th. Tracy

Hey Tracy what time is good for you?

Michelle what time is good for you?

Christine what time is good for you?

VikkiAnn what time is good for you?

Lori what time is good for you?

OK you guys report in.

I just pray that it will all be worth it in the end. I still fear that I am going to be the one person in the whole wide world of bandsters that this isn't gonna work on!! I'm really working on having a new mindset that food isn't going to be a major factor in my daily life now. I can now eat to live instead of living to eat.

I worried about the same thing and now I weigh 129 pounds. My normal weight is 125 but a gained a few when they took all my fill out for a revision surgery. But I'm losing the extra pounds fast and will be back to my "normal" 125 in no time.

Have hope! If you work with your band, it will work for you!

Thanks for your reply Muffin,

I've seen your before and after pictures. You are a personally a great inspiration to me. I can't imagine being down to 125!! You're AWESOME!!!

Muffin and Primadonah can you make it to the get together on Aug 30th?

Muffinbirdie how long did it take you to get to goal...I have lost quite a lot but some how it seem slow...I know it's not...but it seems that way some times. 86 pounds and you think I would be happy...go figure

I have recently deceided that I am going to have weight loss surgery. A couple of my doctors are pushing for me to get the lapband, which seems safer, but I am just not so sure rather I want to risk having that done over the RNY (scared I won't lose weight for some reason). I'm looking for support and encouragement from people who have had the lap band done. Please HELP!!! Also, I live in San Diego, and I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of any great surgeons out my way who perform lap band surgeries? THANX!

Penni,

Unfortunately, I won't be able to join you ladies this time around. Maybe next time. Thanks for the invite!!

I have recently deceided that I am going to have weight loss surgery. A couple of my doctors are pushing for me to get the lapband, which seems safer, but I am just not so sure rather I want to risk having that done over the RNY (scared I won't lose weight for some reason). I'm looking for support and encouragement from people who have had the lap band done. Please HELP!!! Also, I live in San Diego, and I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of any great surgeons out my way who perform lap band surgeries? THANX!

Welcome,

I would encourage you to do lots of research and ask lots of questions. The boards are a great source of information. I am newly banded and so far have no regrets. I don't have a lot of personal experience but I'm a nurse and would be happy to share what I do know about it.

What part of town do you live in?? I'm in Chula Vista!!

I'm afriad I'm packing to move to Anaheim that week AND preparing for out of town guests (yes, I should have planned better)!!!! Otherwise I would!!!

Thanks for your reply Muffin,

I've seen your before and after pictures. You are a personally a great inspiration to me. I can't imagine being down to 125!! You're AWESOME!!!

Thank you! :rolleyes: All I know is if I can do it, ANYONE can do it!!!

Muffinbirdie how long did it take you to get to goal...I have lost quite a lot but some how it seem slow...I know it's not...but it seems that way some times. 86 pounds and you think I would be happy...go figure

Ugh, I typed a whole long answer to this and then it didn't post right. Here I go again...

It took me nearly four years to get to my thinnest point. The third year I lost the last 10 to 15 pounds, but it took the WHOLE year. The fourth year I didn't lose a pound but everyone kept commenting on how I looked like I lost more weight. I could really see the difference in my face even though my weight hadn't changed.

For me the secret is taking short cuts when ever possible. I eat light or fat free substitutes for everything I can. Except on Friday nights I splurge and allow myself to eat WHATEVER I want for dinner with as much fat as it has and also allow myself a dessert that is full fat and not reduced in any way. I am able to say no to a candy bar mid week much more easily knowing I have Friday night to allow myself either the candy bar or some other fattening food. But during the week I eat low cal ice cream with only 70 calories per serving or fat free chips and dip so I still don't feel the least bit deprived, but save a lot on calories.

Also, I want to add that somehow the band gave me the ability to control my cravings more (since I wasn't hungry all the time after the band) and that is how I am able to make the right food choices and choose low fat and fat free items where I never used to be able to diet succesfully. I don't feel like I'm dieting now even though I choose to make healthier low calorie foods. Its an odd switch that got turned on - or off I guess depending on how you look at it! :rolleyes:

The lap band is safer then RNY by a long strectch and doesn't have many of the horrible side effects that RNY can sometimes give people. Plus, nearly everyone I know who has had the RNY surgery has started to gain their weight back and they are either terribly depressed or NOW getting the lap band.

There is not the control over your weight loss with RNY like there is the lap band. This sounds crazy to someone trying to lose weight, but there are people who lose TOO MUCH weight with the RNY and they can't stop it or do anything about it. My cousin got the RNY and he is soooooo skinny now. Too skinny. Plus he has suffered some major medical problems because of the surgery.

I personally don't like how the RNY surgery takes so much control of my weight away from me. I like control of my body and hunger that the lap band gives me that I would not have gotten with the RNY. I was planning to get the RNY orginally but after nearly six months of in depth research I changed my mind and decided to go with the lap band and take my chances at only losing 75% of my excess body weight instead of 85% that is the norm for the RNYers. But with the right support group (like this board) I think you could easily lose more then the 75%. Knowing how to work with the band to maximize its benefit for you makes all the difference in the world. As does an experienced surgeon who knows were to place it.

Hope this helps.

Mae