Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

lap bands in pennsylvania

Guest naomi

Hi everyone I'm also from PA. Im from Somerset County in Somerset. So I'm near you StephC. I actually will be having mine if I get my insurance to pay for it. In Cleveland Clinic, Ohio just because I was already being seen by my endo up there and she refered me to have it done. Its a long ride up there so I probally will stay there for a week after at my reletaves so I won't have to come the whole way back up in a week. If I could just convince them to let me stay in the hospital the whole time. Get pain meds through IVs and get waited on and make sure im comfy and see all the soctors I need to see for the whole week. but hopefully we can stay at my relataves there or they have a guest house on campus that they can help with staying there for the week. Im nervious but excited and I really want it done right away. But I don't even know if my PA assestance will cover it. But I have not even seen any docs yet I just sent in my survey and questionarre. Its always nice to meet others in PA.

LEsherick2007-

If you have it done in Ohio would will do your follow up care? I am without a doctor now and have been having a hard time getting a doc in PA to take on another doctors lapband patient. Will you go back to Ohio for fills?

Welcome to labandtalk. Having my lapband changed my life...I could not be happier!!!

Hello All-

:clap2:

I'm new to this board and excited to be here! I am in the Pittsburgh area... actually I live near Greensburg, about 30 miles east of the city, and I work downtown. I am interested in the lap band procedure and have tried a couple times to register for the informational seminar at AGH with Dr. Colella. No one ever answers the phone and no one calls me back. Oh well. Still trying. Not set on who I woudl want to go to either so recommendations are much appreciated.

Anyhow.. I know I would like to have this done. I've done all the research, done the diet thing as we all have and been jealous of, but very happy for, the wonderful people who have lost so much with the lap band!

My main question is this: I have a family doctor but I haven't been to him in a few years. I would ideally love to just make an appointment with a lap band surgeon and go in for a consult and just have it done.

Do i NEED to be supervised by a family doctor? Also, do all surgeons require the 6 month waiting period? I have thought about this for a long time.. and if I would have just taken the steps back then, I would have gone through the 6 months many times over! I just want to have a consult and if I decide to definitely go through with it, schedule the testing and surgery.

IS THIS POSSIBLE or do we all have to wait it out?

Thanks so much for this wonderful board!

Best... MJ :help:

welcome mj-

is insurance going to pay for the band? if so you may need to be referred by your regular doc...check with your ins company. the same thing with the 6 month wait. sometimes it is not the doc but the ins company that says you have to diet for 6 months first (like we all have not been dieting our whole darn lives!!)

i did not have to do either (although i did discuss with my doc cause we get along very well) i can tell you that it is the BEST thing i have ever done for myself...i COULD NOT BE MORE PLEASED. it changed my life..i am living again. don't wait any longer...make a appt today!!

just my two cents : ) good luck!

Hello All,

I'm from southcentral Pa. and plan on having my surgery in Denver . Insurance won't cover me so it's cash all the way. I'm scheduled for Oct. 4th and would like to hear from others close to Bedford.

:faint::help:A wast of time. My BMI 37. I had 6 months of supervised diet and exerise.I took of 8lbs it took 6 monthes .Ilost some BMI Makeing me less candidate for coverage. So i was under my BMI I WAS Denied twice. ''I have sleepapena,diabete,backpain,I get shotes in my back so i could walk a walk some what.arthrites fatty liver. reflex.Get this i was denied twice. I go to the YMCA every day. My doctor is Carol Mc,Clo:mad:skeyM.D. she from Magee . I don:help::cry't what to do.

LizMoore,

sorry to hear about your bad news. my doctor is also carol mccloskey. i have 3 more months to go in my supervised weight and exercise program. can't the dr's office write a letter to the insurance co. you seem to have alot of other illnesses. you would think those would help you get approved for the lapband. i hope things get better for you.

Hey Liz,

It's time to grab the credit card and head out of Pa. I knew I would get the same hassles so I saved some money and did my research. I was headed to Dr Ortiz in Mexico when I discover Dr Kirchenbaum in Denver who will band you for under $10,000. He's a godsend for those of us that have no co morbidity factors. Check that your insurance will cover any complications and you're on the road to surgery. I know it sounds expensive but you could choose a new car for twice the price or a new life. It's worth it to me

I don't know if you found a Dr. or not yet but I like near Ebensburg, PA. Thats kinda in the middleof Altoona, Johnstown and Indiana. My Dr. is Dr. Newline from Altoona but I know that Dr. Marley from Windber also does the Lapband. If you need more info, let me know.....

I have heard very good things about both Dr Marley and Dr Neulin. Marley is out of Windber and has banded 2 close friends of mine. They love him. Dr Neulin is out of Altoona and highly recommended by the trauma docs I work with. Dr Marley charges about $14,500 for everything and Neulin is reasonable but Altoona Hospital charges about $17,000 for the use of their facilities. I thought that was ridiculous for a self payer like myself so I'm headed out of the area where I have a great doc that charges $9950 for everything. My aftercare and fills will be done by Dr Brinkley in Frederick Md. She does fills for out of the area banders.

Hello everyone. I am new to this board. Have a few questions. I went to first visit at the Weight Loss Clinic in Harrisburg. Sent all the paperwork in about a month ago and still do not have an appointment. To think I have 3 more before scheduling surgery! I really want to get this done. Anyone have any idea of what the wait is like?? I am also considering Dr. Kirshenbaum in Colorado because of the price. Would like to know if you know of any fill doctors who will do fills for someone who was banded out of state?? I live in Allentown.

Any help is appreciated!! Hope I can say I am a bandster soon! I am self pay. ..........so price is also a consideration.

Welcome Lachanga,

I was banded oct 4 by Dr Kirxhenbaum and I loved him and his staff. He was wonderful, He even gave us his cell no# in case we had a question when we got home. There is a fill USA in NJ and a Dr Brinkley in Frederick Md that does fills. I am considering going back to Dr K because I liked him so much.

Today I got a second appt with the Weight Loss Center and Natalie called me from Dr. K to set up my consultation for November 5. Now my decision will be up to just plain scheduling. I have received so much positive feedback about Dr. K I have no doubts now. I just want to get this done in December because I can take some personal leave and not have to take alot of no pay days at work!!

How are you feeling? How did you feel flying back to PA since it is a long trip! Would it be advisable to take somebody with me? I am 43 years old and really am tired of being tired! I just have to do this now or after my kid leaves to college I probably won't be able to afford it!

Thanks so much for your reply. It is greatly appreciated. I just love that we all have the strength left over to support each other thru this BIG decision!