Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I left my band in TJ...

Darcey, I am so glad that you were well taken care of. This has really shaken me because I am 6 weeks post- banding and I am going to be filled next week. But my appetite is out of control and I'm eating way too much. I don't even know that I have a band.

I'm worried I am only 4 days post op...beginning to feel nauseated...the patch has worn off. I believe I am drinking to fast....I didn't realize how hard a habit that is to break....haven't pb'd yet...sure hope that doesn't start....will say a prayer for you Darcey...I worrya bout not getting enoough protein....should I use a child's sippy cup to help me slow down, comments please....

DeeJay, I was surprised, too at just how small a sip had to be. Don't worry, you will be able to guzzle again soon enough. Just give it some time. A sippy cup will work great! Or you could just use a small liquid med cup. Holding that little thing helps you to remember to slooooow down!

Darcey, how are you? Feeling okay? I, like others, am concerned about my own risk for slippage. Anything you can post here would be SOOO appreciated! Right now, my fill is pretty tight, even after my unfill. It's $200 for another unfill, so I'd rather avoid it. So my plan is to just eat around the band for a little while longer, like doing mushies and soft solids for a few more weeks until things loosen up a bit. I keep trying to eat like a big girl bandster with my solid protiens and end up stuck or PBing. Too tight!!! I know that things loosened up post-surgery enough for me to need a fill, so I'm banking on the same happening with this fill. But your slippage DOES have me concerned for myself. I'd much rather spend 200 buckaroos on another small unfill than to lose my band by not thinking with my mind, as you said, and letting the band bite back several times a week with a good PB. I dunno.

Hanging on your every word and any piece of advice you want to pass along for us!!

My prayers Darcy that your stomach heals and you will have the choice to be rebanded or left unbanded..

Okay...hope this helps. No, I was never a "good little bandster" and following all the rules. I think I tried to get away with as much as I could and lean on the band too hard (letting it give me a hard stop instead of listening for the soft one). I was reluctant to have unfills if I thought I could get by for a little while (please be careful with this one Kathy).

I also think that some of it may have come from the fact that I do have irritable bowel syndrome, I am 45, divorced and my hormones are whack anyway, and then I try to "do it all" by changing careers, job schedules (to nights), graduate a kid from college (and now move him home) and remodel a bathroom all at the same time. I can never seem to take things one at a time...all or nothing. I am doing well (thank you for your thoughts, prayers and good wishes).

Think my frustration is at least here in Oregon, there are very few people to turn to. The Bariatric Center in Portland would not call one of their doctors to talk to me(even though it was an emergency) because I wasn't their patient. The hospitals here had no clue what to do with me (and even told me that my band had NOT slipped and was in place). The other doctor in Portland lost his insurance so that hasn't been an option (I had wanted to get in with him before the insurance thing...didn't happen). I thought I had my bases covered.

I believe the lapband is a wonderful device. At the hospital I was rehydrated here, I met a receptionist that had an RNY and she had 2 surgeries after...one for blockage and one for perforation. At least my band could be taken out and I'm not just patched up.

Anyway...I'm rambling and I'm sorry. I am NOT sorry I got the band. I has given me a big boost in the right direction and some very good lessons on how little we really need to eat and keep going and how to really enjoy the food we do eat.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Thank you. God bless.

Darcey, I'm going to ask, but please don't answer if I'm treading on personal matters, okay?

Just for the record, weren't you one of the really well-behaved bandsters that followed all the rules? The only reason I'm asking is because people often look for someone or something to blame, but these things can happen no matter how careful we are, right? No matter how well you take care of your band, bad things can happen to good people.

Yes, you're right Lisa....sometimes bad things do happen to good people. And we are good people! I don't blame anybody (even though I probably should blame myself more), but I refuse to waste good energy on something that I can't change at this point in time. All I can do is learn from it and press on.

Darcey, with that attitude you're a total success. :) I hope you heal up quickly and continue looking forward on to brighter things.

Darcey, thanks for answering, but I still don't think there was anything you could have done to prevent your slippage. Somebody else could act exactly like you and still have their band in place. Take me, for example. I've got anxiety disorder and always run in 100 places at once on 2 hours of sleep, so I abuse caffeine. I drink booze and carbonation. I eat beyond (way, way beyond) feeling the hard stop at times. I realize I'm not following the rules, but if I were able to follow dietary rules and guidlines I'd never have needed the band to start with. I'm insane, food, drink and booze is what I do, my drugs. So I've probably "tested" my band way beyond anybody else, and mine is still in place (I live just for today.) I don't think you could have prevented it.

I've said some harsh things about Ortiz in the past, but maybe it's time I apologize to him for taking such good care of his patients. I'm in the same boat as you where nobody in Vegas will touch me. The fact he ran to your rescue is very admirable.

Please don't feel like you're on a soapbox - this is your forum - what you've posted already saved me this morning. We ordered huge take-out last night, and first thing this morning I was going to have some but I managed to avoid it and went to the grocery store for some canned Protein shakes instead (blender broke.) I'm having a tub-o-Water waiting for one to chill. Thanks for the inspiration.

Darcy I'm sorry I getting to this thread so late. I really hope your doing better and you are very lucky you got this taken care of as soon as you did. I hope some time soon you will get your band back but if you don't you have done so well and you should never give up. Your health is so important you have learned so much and I'm glad to hear you say even without your band that you won't give up!!!! ((((HUGS))))

I think I tried to get away with as much as I could and lean on the band too hard (letting it give me a hard stop instead of listening for the soft one). I was reluctant to have unfills if I thought I could get by for a little while (please be careful with this one Kathy).

Thanks Darcey. I will, and I have been since you posted all of this! I was always fighting my band, trying to get down food and pushing the kinds of food I'm eating. I will be much more careful. You noticed your symptoms at month 4+, right? After a fill? It just never got better? I am almost at 4 months, have 1 fill and here I am pushing my band. You might be saving my life! I will back off. I will go easy on my band. I will watch my calories and fat and drink my Water and get my protien in, even if it's in CIB's and Boost and not hard chicken just yet. I did do well on a Lean Cuisine entree at lunch. The chicken in that is always very very tender and always has some type of sauce or gravy. That's the chicken I can do, not the grilled kind with no sauce. So I'll be extra careful. Thank you so much!!! You have a great attitude that will serve you well these next months. I hope you will choose to be re-banded when the time comes. I will be interested in keeping up with how you are doing without it though. Keep us posted!!

Thursday, he had started surgery. Apparently my band had slipped enough that it was strangling my stomach. He said it was violet/purple and as soon as he cut the band, my stomach started turning pink again. He said if I had waited until Friday (when somebody could have gone with me), I would have had a perforated stomach.

Thank God that you are okay! I can only imagine what else might have gone wrong had you waited.

So thankful that you are okay.