Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

why did you go lapband over bipass?

I guess Im feeling pressure to do bipass over lapband... I know why I want lb over the other, but why did you choice it over the bipass?

I chose (suregry date is in Feb) becuase of the absorption problems that people can have with gb. To change your physiology that much just does not seem natural. So for me, lb seemed to be the best thing.

I am choosing the Band of the Bypass for a couple reasons.

1st it is less drastic surgery than a bypass.

2nd Malabsorption with bypass

3rd I have a good friend who had a bypass and due to her not following strict rules she is in worse health now than she would have been obese. She actually has to have blood transfusions because of her Iron level. But as I said she didn't follow the rules. She didn't take supplements, wasn't making sure her Protein levels were high and she made poor choices in her diet after her bypass.

Also, the band is reversible, if needed.

Well it was easy - they dont really do bypass here and if they did, no way no how was I obese enough to qualify for it.

What would concern me about a bypass is the malabsorption issue and regain over the long term. Imagine having half your guts removed and nowhere to go from there and starting to regain weight. It would be heartbreaking.

I simply didnt have a large enough weight problem to justify so drastic an action. I saw the lapband as much less drastic and for me, it has proven to be so. I was prepared to take the risk of anaesthetic - which lets face it, at a BMI of 35 and good health wasnt a large risk - but not to actually change my workings or risk malnutrition in the future.

I know someone who had the GB and the gas problem is almost unbearable!

I would not be able to deal with that. Not only the gas, but when she uses a bathroom, it's a nightmare to go in after her. She won't use public toilets to BM because the smell is now so noxious.

Aside from which, I like the idea of losing slower and being able to adjust the band as needed.

I was leaning toward the gastric bypass as my answer.

However, my paperwork got submitted to insurance while I was still agonzing over which procedure to do. The insurance company sent a letter approving the lap band, I took that as a sign, and was scheduled for surgery in 14 days!

So far, I love my non-decision. I can have a revision if necessary, but no surgery will "fix" my obesity, I have to fix that myself. I eat for other reasons than simply being hungry.

Edited by 2GoodDogs
correct word

I chose the lapband over bypass because of the malabsorption, the hospitalization. I hate being away from my kids. Because of the problems my sister had with the bypass. I loved how the band was adjustable, so if I started gaining back (like my sister did with the bypass) they just tweak the baby. It was just an all over better fit for me. Plus financially I couldn't afford to buy new clothes every other week. The band allows room in my budget to get clothes less often.

teri

I chose lapband because it is reversible. I also didn't like the drastic changes of my anatomy for gastric bypass. I have a family memeber that has had gastric bypass and didn't really do well. I didn't want that for me. As a matter of fact, when I first started checking on lapband. My insurance didn't cover it. I waited two years for my insurance to start covering lapband rather than have gastric bypass.

I wanted the less invasive surgery. I also wanted something that could be adjusted or removed if necessary. I admit I liked the quicker weight loss with bypass, but having the band for just over 6 months I am happy with my weight loss. Slow but in the right direction. Can't ask for anything more.

I have a good friend that had GB and did great and looks great after PS. Her 21 year old son just had GB this past Thurs and he will too need to have PS when he gets done.

I wanted to lose slower, giving me time to work out and pray I don't need PS. She looks great but the scars are so bad down her arms and legs. The Tummy Tuck ones is covered by most clothes but she likes to dress like she is 20 now and some low cut jeans show it.

I read that you will lose slower with LapBand but in a 3 year time frame you would be the same as GB. The whole surgery and healing time just sounded so much better too. My friend keeps trying to talk me into just getting GB, but I have really did my homework on this and will stick with LapBand.

I just can't wait to get approved, I'm calling them daily and it is stressing me out.

I chose lapband because I wanted something that would teach me how to live a healther lifestyle. I wanted to lose slow and I wanted to make sure I physically helped my body. I didn't want a quick fix I wanted a tool. I've worked out hard to lose the weight I have lost and I like knowing that. Working out makes me feel better, makes things tighter and mentally I think it helps me keep up with the weight loss.

I really researched both procedures, but when it was all done, I selected the Band.

1. Less evasive
  2. Quicker recovery
  3. No cutting of the stomach
  4. Reversible
  5. More control with the fills
  6. No issues with malabsorption
  7. Slower and gradual weight loss

Lapband because it is less invasive and has an easier recovery. Despite the recent death, my surgeon has never had a death result from the lapband surgery, unlike with gastric bypass.

Having a piece of me removed just seemed too drastic!

Edited by Betelnut
Spelling

I chose Lap-Band for many of the same reasons above...less invasive, less down time, no malnutrition issues, didn't want my innards rearranted and affordability of LB over GB. I also read all the time about GB patients regaining their weight and having more serious complications.

On top of that, I knew five people who went in for bypass. Three of them died within four weeks of their surgery from complications, all of them were young (under 40). Granted, all of them were in much worse health than me and far more obese than me. But it frightened me away from GB all the same.

I researched the LB for two years before taking the plunge. So far, so good. I am glad I did it.