Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this has been addressed, but I am frustrated

Hi there,

I am only 4 weeks post op and feeling pretty good but have very very little restriction. I know this is normal but the weight loss has stopped and I can't get a fill for 5 weeks. I have gained and lost the same pound over and over, like a lot of us. What do I do, eat 1200 calories or what. Sorry, just venting a bit. I am happy with my 13 pounds loss but just don't want to gain until I get my fill. I do wait until I am hugry to eat but it is pretty often now.

Are you drinking while your eating? if you are, don't!

that's my only advice, I am only 1 week post-op, so I haven't hit this road block yet. Good Luck!

Im a bit suprised you have o wait 5 more weeks for your first fill?? I got my first fill at 6 weeks. and from here on out i get one every 6 weeks until im satisfied. Every dr is different though. Alot of people say you dont get really good restriction until around your thrd fill. I just got my first one and i can barely tell the difference but it is some. Be patient and hang in there. Dont eat carbs..they will make you hungrier!! High Protein, low carb diet and stop as soon as you arent hungry. Good luck.

Hi there,

I am only 4 weeks post op and feeling pretty good but have very very little restriction. I know this is normal but the weight loss has stopped and I can't get a fill for 5 weeks. I have gained and lost the same pound over and over, like a lot of us. What do I do, eat 1200 calories or what. Sorry, just venting a bit. I am happy with my 13 pounds loss but just don't want to gain until I get my fill. I do wait until I am hugry to eat but it is pretty often now.

Hi Mgirl,

I can SO feel your pain and i'm a month post op as well.

When I hit a plateau a few days ago ,what I did was increased my calories some and it did the trick ,plus another suggestion would be to walk a few minutes everyday. I spoke with my dietician and she said when someone loses weight,things shift so the scale may not show weight loss but for example,your pants feel looser. The Dietician also recommended that we measure ourselves with a tape measure so we can see the other positive results besides what the scale says.

You're doing great :tongue2:!

Get the hell off the scale. (She says with a big smile.)

You'll be okay. The weight loss will come. Eat well, exercise a what you can and stop stressing about your weight.

Congratulations on the weight you have lost. Finding out the amount of calories you should be eating everyday is very important. I know what you mean by gaining and losing the same pounds. I am over 2 years out and I still do that. I feel for you cuz I know how hungry you can get when there isn't any fill in your band. Just stick by the rules, even though it may be hard, and the weight will follow. Maybe the scale messes with you like it does with me. I will go up and down the same pound a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden I lose 3-5lbs. Which is still on track of 1-2lbs per week that they recommend. Good Luck and we all understand your frustration, we have all been were you are at. IT GETS BETTER!

I also feel your pain. I am 2 months post op and have had only 1 fill. I manage to keep my self full by drinking lots of Water and eating high protien foods. There are some special bariatric diet foods out there (not sold at normal stores though) that are very filling. www.bariatricchoice.com

This might be helpful if you can find a local person who sells it. I go for my second fill in January and can't wait! Good luck and it's a bumpy road but it'll pass...:thumbup:

Hey Mgirl;

You shouldn't have to wait another 5 weeks that's way too long. Like the other people, it was 6 weeks after surgery. That is more than enough time. You have the right to call your doctor and let him/her know what's going on.

Good luck to you.

Hi there,

I know, I should get off the scale, but it is hard not to. I have limited myself to weighing in only 2 times per week. My doctor didn't want to give me a fill over the holidays because they are going to be closed, just in case I had any problems. Maybe I'll call and see if I can get in anyway. Thanks for the suggestions.

Hi everyone, I just joined this blog because I too need help. I already feel like a failure and don't like it one bit. After reading through some of these it doesn't sound like I'm alone and I pray this will get better. I had the band 6 weeks ago (Oct 24th). I've had one fill and go for another Dec 15th. I would love for them to just shut it down. I would rather have too much than not enough. I don't like that I can eat just like I could before and no weight has come off because of it. Sorry if I'm feeling sorry for myself but honestly if I could do everything that the DR says I'm supposed to I wouldn't have had the surgery. I did expect it to be almost a cure all. Is this really that normal in the beginning? I pray I'm not one of the statistics that doesn't make it, not to mention I financed the whole thing. Thanks for listening. I'll continue to read and share for any glimmer of hope.

I was banded on Oct 29 and just had my first fill on Dec 5th. I still feel very little restriction. From what I have read on here it is a gradual process and can take a few fills until we are at the right restriction. You don't want the band too full or you will be vomiting and have alot of discomfort. I think we have to be patient and remember the band is a tool, not a cure all. I also financed my surgery and have the same fears as you. Try to stay positive. We will lose the weight :thumbup:

I second that motion. Be patient, eat a low carb, high Protein diet, walk everyday and drink lots of Water. Im right there with ya. I was banded on October 23rd and just had my first fill. I can tell a slight difference and i get stuck on food if i eat too fast ..especially bread. Hang in there ...your tool will work for you. Stick to the rules and be patient with yourself. Best of luck!!

I also feel your pain. I am 2 months post op and have had only 1 fill. I manage to keep my self full by drinking lots of Water and eating high protien foods. There are some special bariatric diet foods out there (not sold at normal stores though) that are very filling. www.bariatricchoice.com

This might be helpful if you can find a local person who sells it. I go for my second fill in January and can't wait! Good luck and it's a bumpy road but it'll pass...:tongue:

Thank you for that website! I ordered lots of stuff to try! I have trouble getting in my Protein, I'm scared to death of losing my hair!!! Thank You Thank You!:sad_smile:

Hi everyone, I just joined this blog because I too need help. I already feel like a failure and don't like it one bit. .

When I start not losing weight for a week or so, I bake salmon, its the only fish I can eat plain, just baked with spices and I nibble on it all day and within 2 days my weight drops. fish oil is good for you and the high Protein pushes me back into losing. Im sure others have their own tricks.

I never count calories and I havent been real good even about following rules, but I do try and push the Protein and Iv cut carbs/sugar down to as close to nadda as I can get. I snack on rolled up lean ham for instance, or scramble an egg. Sugar and me are enemies, so if I watch sugar I lose .... well Im also walking about 3 or 3.5 miles a day to burn those calories.

Im 58 years old, and have as many excuses as anyone else but I just got busy and am going to do this. I think the band helps some with appetite, but since I was a nibbler, Im not sure the band helps me, but Im still going to reach goal. You have to want it.

You work so hard to get the band that once the surgery is done you think "alright I've got the band so now I can sit back, watch what I eat, and let it do it's magic." Well long term - that don't happen... I remember the day of surgery it took me all day to get down one of those little Jello cups... LOL... Then, five days out - the lion showed back up. The surgery swelling was gone and I was HUNGRY. Not only that, I was physically ABLE.

The band and fills can be fickle. I didn't have any restriction until my second fill - and then it only lasted a short time. It wasn't until my 3rd fill that I got some meaningful restriction - and 4th before I felt satisfied with the restriction. The bad thing is that was four months post op - and many have to wait longer than that.

Just be patient, do your best to make good food choices, and stay on your doctor about making fills agressive enough to control the hunger. Then, get exercising - intense exercise - the kind that keeps your heart in the target zone for a good period of time. Use the band to control your hunger - and exercise to burn the fat. Good luck and stay focused!

Brad