Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel like a failure after lecture from doc yesterday..

I am 6 months out and have lost 38 lbs. I had one fill in April and I was supposed to go see Dr. Bertha one month after. Unfortunately I never made it and yesterday was my first visit to see him since February. Good news I am 16 lbs lighter since then, bad new he was not happy that I never made my fill follow-up. He said he cannot tell if the fill worked or not, when I lost the weight, etc...

Then I was lectured on how I am not eating the right things. I am only eating "band-friendly" foods and not the Protein I am supposed to be eating.

No fill for me - he wants me to see the nutrionist and go back to him in a month.

Now I do feel like the majority of my loss happened in the beggining my recently I have lost 6 lbs - I have had a few up and down moments but the I am happy with my progress.

He actually told me that I could be one of those people who fail with the band!!

Gosh - I thought I was doing good!

Oh and he thinks that my fill is just about right. I have a very hard time with meat and bread and it gets stuck so he says that is restriction

Lauren

Gosh Lauren!

NO FILL????

I couldve seen him give you the fill AND recommend you to the nutrionist....

-37 pounds IS good. But he just expected more. Dont get discouraged! The nutricionist will help you - NOT hurt you! Just think of this as a great opportunity to "start over". And in a month, you will go back to Doctor Asshole, and get that fill!!!!!!!!

So Sorry this is happening to you. I dont have any wise words ...I would be extremely angry in your shoes. I hope you get it worked out.

I agree with Paula why did he not even give you the slightest fill then have you see the Nutricionist. However it is a chance for you to get some new insight what else you can eat to help you in your journey. Don't be hard on yourself just run with it.. You have done a great job:)

And in a month, you will go back to Doctor Asshole, and get that fill!!!!!!!!
HAAAAA!!!! Very funny! Now THAT should make you laugh about this Lauren! Chin up, you are doing great! Work with him, he can get you what you want...in one ear and out the other, girl!

I've heard many good things about this doctor. I think he is practicing what he thinks is 'toughlove' on you, in hopes that he'll see you succeed. It is true that many people THINK that because they have trouble forcing breads/meats down they turn to easier foods which basically go around the band. Not good. The whole idea is to restrict our intake and practice/learn better eating behaviors, ie hard Proteins vs soft/higher calorie/carb loaded foods (which got us here in the first place). It's better to start out working with that instead of heading in the other direction. I don't think you have to starve yourself or even deprive yourself all that much, just think of it as practicing the 'bandster' way of eating MOST of the time. If you focus on the hard proteins, the rest will take care of itself. I think this all comes down to that 'head' thing - us thinking we NEED those other foods (me included). When really, it's quite a relief to just eat a chicken breast and some veggies. Now, if I could just find a 2x4 big enough to make that stick... sigh... :D You can do it. Great thing is, the band doesn't go away. Everyday you can start over. You're weight loss is actually right on target for the time you've been banded, don't let him get you down, just go back next time and prove that you're doing all the right things. :)

I am 6 months out and have lost 38 lbs. I had one fill in April and I was supposed to go see Dr. Bertha one month after. Unfortunately I never made it and yesterday was my first visit to see him since February. Good news I am 16 lbs lighter since then, bad new he was not happy that I never made my fill follow-up. He said he cannot tell if the fill worked or not, when I lost the weight, etc...

Then I was lectured on how I am not eating the right things. I am only eating "band-friendly" foods and not the Protein I am supposed to be eating.

No fill for me - he wants me to see the nutrionist and go back to him in a month.

Now I do feel like the majority of my loss happened in the beggining my recently I have lost 6 lbs - I have had a few up and down moments but the I am happy with my progress.

He actually told me that I could be one of those people who fail with the band!!

Gosh - I thought I was doing good!

Oh and he thinks that my fill is just about right. I have a very hard time with meat and bread and it gets stuck so he says that is restriction

Lauren

38 pounds is great! I GAINED 17 pounds my first six months! If you can afford it, get another opinion!

Hey, now, Dr. Bertha is the BOMB!! Lauren, he's lectured me on occasion too and I know how easy it is to take it personally. But you're doing GREAT and Dr. Bertha is really just trying to make sure you take being banded as seriously as he does. I know he wants all of his patients to succeed and that involves a lot of personal commitment. Personally I'm very impressed with the amount of followup care Dr. Bertha et al. provide, and when patients don't show up it seems to indicate, well, you know. The practice is very big on taking a team approach, and that means both parties have to do their share.

Great thing is, the band doesn't go away. Everyday you can start over. You're weight loss is actually right on target for the time you've been banded, don't let him get you down, just go back next time and prove that you're doing all the right things.

Leatha is exactly right. You're doing wonderfully!! I hope you'll come to the support meetings Dr. Bertha's office holds--those can also be a big boost when things like this get us down.

Okay, okay, I hear Dr Bertha is great, too. But, the Dr A$$hole was SOOO funny!!

Alex is right, Lauren. Work with your doc. Mine is clear across the country in Mexico. You are fortunate if you have the support of your insurance company and your Doctor's practice to make this band journey a success. Don't let his "speech" discourage you, but charge you up to do even better!!!

Hi Lauren,

Sorry you didn't get the feedback you wanted from the doctor but hopefully he and the nutricianalist give you something to work on to improve. You have done a wonderful job and you will continue to do well. Just drink that Water and focus on the Proteins. I tend to like salads topped with hard boiled eggs, chicken, cheese, etc. I eat a lot of barbeque'd meats all summer too. Keep up the good work, Teresa

Don't get discouraged, everyone is right about him just having your best interest at heart. Sometimes we don't like what our doctors tell us, but that is why they went to school all those years they know what's best. I was upset with my doctor because as you all know when I got my tt two weeks ago, (My ps is my band doctor as well) so I wanted a fill before I came back home, but he said I had just had surgery and needed to not be more restricted so that I could eat well and my body would heal good. I didn't understand at first all I could think of was, there it would be free and here I'll have to pay $300. After speaking with him again regrading this, he convinced me that this was the safest thing to do and I know he's right, but its still frustrating. I want to hurry up and lose weight and I forget that I will be healthier if I don't deprive my body this way. Well wishing you continued success, because you have already lost alot more than most of us. Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged.

I think you are doing great. As long as you feel good about what you are doing then I wouldn't worry. I do think if you would get more Protein in you would see a big change in yourself....

Hang in there!!! Keep up the good work.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!!

You changed your original post after I posted my reply! YIKES!!!!

PLEASE disregard my reply!!!!!!!

I was recently in my surgeon's office two weeks ago with the same type of lecturing on portion sizes, calories, etc.

I asked him if he ever struggled with addictions of any sort, and he had to "think about it." If he had to think, then he has no idea what it's like to be in our shoes. After I had the nerve to ask him that, he listened to me at a different level, almost as if he respected the thinking behind my obesity just a little more clearly than he used to.

Just because someone's a bariactric surgeon, doesn't make them an expert on obesity. Maybe I missed the point, so my point is Please Don't Feel Bad!

wow. I didn't realize that dr.s could hold fills over your head like that!!!

Did the fill natzi ask you for your journal to see how you are doing on a day by day basis? (do you keep one?)

As much as I have had the greatest of intentions with just my pre op liquid Protein diet I have fallen off the wagon and dusted myself off and got back on. Keep your chin up and if you haven't started one-start a journal; write your meals and exercise and Water consumption along with the emotions you are feeling. Its also a great place to document your personal victories..like "yesterday I almost lost my watch cause its getting to be too big for my wrist."

" Life isn't a destination- it's a journey. We all come upon unexpected curves and turning points, mountain tops and valleys. Everything that happens to us shapes who we are becoming. And in the adventure of each day, we discover the best in ourselves."