Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Hey Ladies!

I have less than 2 weeks until my surgery! I'm so obsessed. All I can think about is surgery/recovery/my future body! Agggghhh! Seriously. Today I kept thinking... "2 weeks from today I'll be discharged from the hosptial and drive home from SF..."

I've missed seeing everyone, so I'm thinking about hosting a brunch in a month or two (Once I'm on solid foods again!) What do you think? I've so missed our get-togethers. I'll

send details later, but I'd love to see y'all!

Hey Ladies!

I have less than 2 weeks until my surgery! I'm so obsessed. All I can think about is surgery/recovery/my future body! Agggghhh! Seriously. Today I kept thinking... "2 weeks from today I'll be discharged from the hosptial and drive home from SF..."

I've missed seeing everyone, so I'm thinking about hosting a brunch in a month or two (Once I'm on solid foods again!) What do you think? I've so missed our get-togethers. I'll

Heather

I have been thinking of you - I am so happy for you. You deserve an award for perserverance!!! I know you will be successful - just be patient - it sure is a journey!! Do you have the cd to listen to to prepare for surgery? They really helped me to calm down - I put them on my iPod and listened to them when I went to bed.

All

Sorry I didn't get the pics posted until now of our 5/14 walk. It was a small group but so good to reconnect with Analyn, Jess and her cousin, Kim, who I had never met. (Kim is having surgery the same day as Heather I think.!) I've been busy as Nate graduated from High School on 5/27 and we had a huge party on 5/29 - all of my sisters and brother came from out of state so it was really special. Family all left on Monday so I am trying to get back to business. I am applying to graduate school. Not sure how the money is going to work out given no job and Nate also going to college, but maybe the angels will smile down on me :) I am really excited about it - definately ready for a change. When you shedd a lot of weight and work on the emotional stuff that it represents, amazing things happen in your life!

Hugs to everone!

Ok - couldn't figure out how to copy / attach picture in my post, so I created an album with 2 pictures from the walk. Anyone that is my friend can see.

Heather, congratulations! I've been following you over at verticalsleeve talk, so I know how excited you are! I couldn't be happier for you as you have waited longer, and been put through more hoops, than any of us. Keep on fantasizing because what's ahead of you is simply fantastic.

What date is your surgery? I'm going on vacation, returning on June 27th. I'll be around for any Sleevie support and to answer any questions that you may have, if you're looking for that. Just remember to sip sip sip, walk walk walk and know that everything is going to be just fine. During the first few days I had a lot of phone calls so I got up and walked while I was on the phone. It took my mind off any little pains that were there. During the first few days I had lots of Dreyers No Sugar Added popsicles to help get the fluids in and it felt good on my swollen Sleevie. I kept a glass by the sink and threw the sticks in so that at the end of the day I counted 2 oz of fluids for every stick. A lot of people find it hard to get down plain Water, I used a lot of warm herbal tea in the beginning. Crystal light has just been too sweet to me. Now I can tolerate the Peach tea flavor of Crystal light but only in small quantities. Sobe 0 Fugi Apple Pear flavor was my fav drink becuase it was like diluted apple juice without the calories. Be ready for your taste buds to change. Everything is so sweet in the beginning. Kaiser Richmond doesn't recommend any shakes, but I know that SSF does. Beware that shakes may cause lactose intolerance in the beginning. I had the runs something fierce while on full liquids until I discovered the culprit and went to Muscle Milk Light which has no lactose. GNC has a lot of good brands with enzymes that counteract the lactose in the whey Protein. sleep raised up on pillows those first nights. I never had heardburn a day in my life until day 3 post op when I slept on 2 instead of 3 pillows. Woke up with a mouthful of acid and learned my lesson. The PPI's will kick in soon enough and you'll be able to sleep laying down.

Be excited, be happy and wait for the beautiful changes that are about to happen for you. :)

Anyone going to the Santa Rosa support group this morning? I'm going to be there as I want to hear the Plastic Surgeon speak. Please say hi if you're there!

HEATHER==been counting down the days with you. You so deserve this.....................too bad Kaiser Richmond didn't see how motivated you were. Their loss!! ;-)

So is everyone going to the next and final West Pointe meeting? IF so I will go to. Last few times I went I didn't see many people I know and it seems like it was more a sleeve and RYN group. Sorta got bored with the meetings.

I am really busy. I am not losing or gaining. Eating healthy just to much. I guess for me that is the magic of the band huh? I know I need a fill but I have been debating. I got a fill over a year ago. It was to tight and had to make an umplanned trip to Richmond the next day. Third time I got to tight so I sorta gave up on fills got discouraged with the whole thing. I think I need to only get .25 fills at a time not .5ccs. Seems like my magic spot is hard find. I have been at 5cc's for a year. I am afraid to go higher but I am not losing or gaining. Seems that is a sign it is time. I can't eat unendeing amounts, but I can eat more than 1 cup easy. bread is not a problem either anymore. I know it is time. So one of these days I will call Kaiser for a fill. I figure it will take awhile for me to get in so the sooner the better. I guess it is time to go just a bit tighter. I am being lazy not using my band as well as I could since I am not getting the regular fills.

CHRISTINE:

I was also told I could get fills even if I lost Kaiser. Liz told me that. Dr. Baggs said no. LOL. He was right in the end. I went and got a fill with Dr. Alchurlez in Novato through the fill center awhile back. I Liked her. She was more willing to talk and it was a slower visit with more time for the psychological issues. You have to sign up with the band center which I did. What I like is that she still calls me every six months to check on me and I only saw her twice. She thinks I need to come in for a fill ever 3-6 months or at least a check in. I haven't been doing that. But Kaiser never calls me so I sorta felt shocked and special that she still calls me to check in with me. I can give you the information if your interested. It was only 2 miles difference from RIchmond. Same distance and time to get there but nicer area to take a road trip.

So one reason I am hestitating to call Kaiser? The last time I talked to the consultant they told me "you have been dealing with this for a long time now, you would think you would have gotten it by now. Whats wrong? Why aren't you getting it? ." I didn't like the attitude or comment. I have struggle alot with fills and it not my fault I have ended up in the ER three times really sick with the band now. Never been to the ER in my life before, and afraid to have to go back. Doesn't help when your struggling to hear that kind of response. I got off the phone beating myself up thinking, "yea why can't I get it." I realized later that the comment was imappropriate and I should only beat myself up if I didn't KEEP trying to figure it all out. I don't plan to do the diet consult again, just to schedule an appointment. I honestly don't really need that part of the follow up anymore at two years out and I am hard enough on myself without the consult and inpatient attitude. If that happens ever again I will stop and confront the issue head on. I don't want to let the negetivity prevent me from wanting to follow through. I know from other people I can skip the consults and just get the fills. Thanks CANDRA!!!

Right now my port is swollen and very, very sore. It has been tender for three weeks. So I am going to call Richmond and try to get in this week just so they can poke around and see what is going on. I saw the PCP here and she said to watch it call Richmond if it doesn't stop hurting. I am hoping it is just a passing thing but I would rather be safe. It sorta feels like it has moved further up my stomach closer to my ribs. Is that possible? It feels like it is moving around in there. I was hoping it would stop hurting on it's own. But ah well maintenance check ups. It is time for one.............more than a year is a long time!! LOL. If it did move I hear it is a very easy fix in the office. Maybe even the same day with a couple of stitches.

Happy Weekend all. I am playing all weekend having fun with my daughter :-) A couple years out the band is not the focus or an obession like it was the first few months but now it is truely just a tool in the process and a way of life.

Glad to see some activity on here. I am excited for you Heather - you will rock it. I would love to see everyone again. I have been following the 17 day diet book - I lost 14 lbs the first 17 day phase - haven't weighed since I started the second phase last Thursday as I went camping. It has been easy to follow and is similar to band diet without the bread which I shouldn't be eating anyway. I am just happy to be losing again. I see my psychologist this Friday - haven't seen her since last August.

Congrats Heather, you will do great. I met a lady today who got the sleeve last year,I attended meetings with her previously and couldn't recognize her today . She looked great! I ambeginning to think people are having more success with the Sleeve.

Good luck and I would love to meet at your home in a couple of months. Heal first.

Hey Ladies!

Ok Lee you are one of our successful sisterhood, what is your secret and what is working for you?

Thanks for all the encouraging words. I'm nervous for sure.

I had my pre-op appt on Tuesday, I woke up the next day with a major cold! I'm home sick today and just trying to take it easy. I'll call SSF again on Monday (as they suggested) but I'm scared this will delay surgery. I definately don't want to have surgery if this could be dangerous.... Ugh, so frusterated!

Oh no Heather. Make sure to get lots of fluids and lots of sleep and hopefully it will be okay for you to have your surgery. Crossing my fingers for you.

I had my pre-op appt on Tuesday, I woke up the next day with a major cold! I'm home sick today and just trying to take it easy. I'll call SSF again on Monday (as they suggested) but I'm scared this will delay surgery. I definately don't want to have surgery if this could be dangerous.... Ugh, so frusterated!

Oh no Heather! We are suppose to be room mates. You will shake this cold before Monday. I know will!

Heather & Kim I'm sending well wishes and positive thoughts your way. I know you have mixed emotions right now but rest assure things will be just fine and you will be up and abut before you know it.

whoot hoo!!! Dancing_wub.gif

It's official.... surgery is postponed for me. Dr Alami doesn't want me to have anasthesia if I'm still sick. What a bummer. My new surgery date is July 20. Four more weeks. Ugh.

No worries.Heather youve waited this long and you are so deserving of it....:lol: Wow Heather I cant believe it you going to actually get it done..hurray for you whoo hooo!!

For those of you who have not heard of me i dont doubt it.. I dont log in much .. heres is a lil about me..I had my Surgery 11/18/2009 and Ive lost a total of 68 lbs..yeah I know not much but it's been a struggle..this is definatly not a quick fix..its a LOT of work on your part. You can either work the band or go back to where you started. I am choosing to work it baby so yes after being in hibernating mode I'm back to what I need to do. I just kept hiding.. I dont know why but I can go on but y'all dont have the time or probably the interest in my problems so all im going to say is.... I'M BACK ! Wish me luck and need all the prayers I can get. :D

Maria