Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Thanks.

There should be a blue bar above the top of the messages on the page that says "stop watching topic" - I would guess you would click on it - hope it works for you.

From Emotional Eating to Emotional Understanding

• Avoid labeling yourself (or your client) “an emotional eater.” Labels become self-fulfilling prophecies. Instead, identify the behavior since unlike personality characteristics, behaviors can be explored and changed. Examples: emotional eating, eating when I feel stressed, using food for comfort, eating as a form of entertainment, etc. .
  • Get back to the basics. To identify emotional triggers, ask “Am I hungry?” whenever you feel like eating. If there are no physical signs of hunger, it’s likely that the urge to eat was triggered by environmental or emotional cues.
  • Leave judgment at the door. Guilt and shame feed the eat-repent-repeat cycle and close the door on learning.
  • Have compassion for yourself. When you eat for emotional reasons, you are simply trying to take care of yourself. What could you do that might work better?
  • Respond instead of react. Realize that a “trigger” is just that—a coping mechanism that you can choose to pull or not. Choose how you'll respond to your triggers instead of reacting automatically.
  • Read the need. Your desire to eat when you aren't hungry is a doorway into your underlying feelings and needs.
  • Cravings can be clues. The food you crave may give you insight into the underlying emotion or need, i.e. comfort food.
  • Avoid labeling emotions as good or bad, or positive or negative. All emotions are information that you can use to better understand your interpretation of an experience and help you recognize your true needs.
  • This too shall pass. Ride your emotional waves as if you were floating on a raft. All emotions come and go. It is futile to resist the ones that feel unpleasant; resistance only adds to your discomfort. Likewise, it is pointless to cling to the emotions that feel pleasant; just enjoy them while they last.
  • Create a self-care buffer zone. Caring for your body, mind, heart, and spirit builds resilience to the stresses of life. When you practice regular self-care, you will be less likely to turn to food to manage your emotions.
  • Ask for help when needed. Reach out to a counselor, coach, pastor, or Am I Hungry? Facilitator to help you understand and cope with emotional eating.

Hey gang bad news! I have a retirement party (not mine, LOL) on May 14!! Unless we are walking in the early AM, I can't make it :-( I don't remember when we were going to walk, but I would have to be back here in Santa Rosa by 1 pm

what is alltogether up with this little itty bitty text . . jeez I'm really starting to feel my age here!!

Love this Riley Jane! It all makes sense.

Hi Y'all Hope everyone is doing well.

I finally got back on track today. I had a rude awakening when my daughter asked me to come to her parent luncheon. Within the same sentence that she asked me to attend she stated "some of the boys at my school are mean" I quickly asked her what are you afraid of? She said nothing so I asked her "do you feel they will make fun of me?" She said yes and "mommy that would really hurt my feelings. While she still insisted that I come, I gingerly told her I have interviews to conduct yesterday in order to avoid going. So that was my cue from God. I have been praying for a some motivation and not understanding why I was self sabotaging.

So I went on the Atkins website and decided to start their Phase 1 today. So far so good. I know my body does not process carbs like others and that it is almost toxic to my system. The problem is I was reading Pat's response about seeing a therapist and I really feel I am ready to face my demons. SO does anyone know a good therapist at Kaiser South Sacramento? I really have to do this not only for myself but for the kids.

Love you all

Reggie:rolleyes:

From Emotional Eating to Emotional Understanding

• Avoid labeling yourself (or your client) "an emotional eater." Labels become self-fulfilling prophecies. Instead, identify the behavior since unlike personality characteristics, behaviors can be explored and changed. Examples: emotional eating, eating when I feel stressed, using food for comfort, eating as a form of entertainment, etc. .
  • Get back to the basics. To identify emotional triggers, ask "Am I hungry?" whenever you feel like eating. If there are no physical signs of hunger, it's likely that the urge to eat was triggered by environmental or emotional cues.
  • Leave judgment at the door. Guilt and shame feed the eat-repent-repeat cycle and close the door on learning.
  • Have compassion for yourself. When you eat for emotional reasons, you are simply trying to take care of yourself. What could you do that might work better?
  • Respond instead of react. Realize that a "trigger" is just that—a coping mechanism that you can choose to pull or not. Choose how you'll respond to your triggers instead of reacting automatically.
  • Read the need. Your desire to eat when you aren't hungry is a doorway into your underlying feelings and needs.
  • Cravings can be clues. The food you crave may give you insight into the underlying emotion or need, i.e. comfort food.
  • Avoid labeling emotions as good or bad, or positive or negative. All emotions are information that you can use to better understand your interpretation of an experience and help you recognize your true needs.
  • This too shall pass. Ride your emotional waves as if you were floating on a raft. All emotions come and go. It is futile to resist the ones that feel unpleasant; resistance only adds to your discomfort. Likewise, it is pointless to cling to the emotions that feel pleasant; just enjoy them while they last.
  • Create a self-care buffer zone. Caring for your body, mind, heart, and spirit builds resilience to the stresses of life. When you practice regular self-care, you will be less likely to turn to food to manage your emotions.
  • Ask for help when needed. Reach out to a counselor, coach, pastor, or Am I Hungry? Facilitator to help you understand and cope with emotional eating.

Oh Reggie...I'm so sorry and so happy for you all at the same time!!! I hate to see anyone feel that way but sometimes (as they say) it takes an act of GOD!! :) I am really struggling too...I did so well at the beginning that I now have picked all my bad habits up again....I recently gained 4 pds...it scares me...I eat whatever I want!!! I feel like I don't know where to begin again!!!! I called Kaiser and talked to Robyn a while back...it helpeed for a minute but now I'm back to it!!! I need my act of GOD :)

Love this Riley Jane! It all makes sense.

Hi Y'all Hope everyone is doing well.

I finally got back on track today. I had a rude awakening when my daughter asked me to come to her parent luncheon. Within the same sentence that she asked me to attend she stated "some of the boys at my school are mean" I quickly asked her what are you afraid of? She said nothing so I asked her "do you feel they will make fun of me?" She said yes and "mommy that would really hurt my feelings. While she still insisted that I come, I gingerly told her I have interviews to conduct yesterday in order to avoid going. So that was my cue from God. I have been praying for a some motivation and not understanding why I was self sabotaging.

So I went on the Atkins website and decided to start their Phase 1 today. So far so good. I know my body does not process carbs like others and that it is almost toxic to my system. The problem is I was reading Pat's response about seeing a therapist and I really feel I am ready to face my demons. SO does anyone know a good therapist at Kaiser South Sacramento? I really have to do this not only for myself but for the kids.

Love you all

Reggie:rolleyes:

I am right there with the rest of you. Reggie I have had the same happen with my daughter so I hear you. Funny but the kids comment to my daughter when I lose or gain. Statement I guess about how our kids are programmed in our society.

But ya I am doing my best but the further out you are the harder it gets to lose motivation and for real life to take over.

I think Pam knows and thearpist ast South Sacramento. Maybe she will come on later.

Call me if you wanna get together sometime or just talk. I am in the same place and joined WW which helps with the logging of food. But it is still an ongoing struggle.

We are all in the same place.

And my body SO CANNOT handle carbs or sugars at all without the weight coming back.............I am not lean, green carb machine!!

Thanks Ladies! Tina I am sure Pam will hopefully chime in.

This weightloss thing is nightmare. I know I have to take a day at a time. Those of you who doing well please your success and has worked for you we can all take pointers especially me at this time.

Making a food log has been the thing that helps me..................and keeping busy!! The food log has been the one thing that I find successful when I am on top of it. Simple but true.

I think we should pull out the orignal rules again. I will have to find them. But for me a good one would be only eat in the kitchen at the table. Cause the eating in the car or in front of the TV is mindless eating for me.

I lose track of what I am doing.........I just don't have control or pay enough attention when I do that..

And stress. If I am stressed out I crave sugar. Or if I eat sugar............I crave it like crazy for a few days.

I had to get all my lap band books out and review them. That helped with my motivation. I have been doing that gain lately.

The one thing that is REALLY HELPFUL has been going on to youtube and typing in successful lap bands or something like that. It really helps me to listen to people and see what is working and also to watch people just starting out!! Makes me feel motivated. Since our group fell apart I am finding that I need to hear from other people who are doing well with the band so I don't give up on my tool!!

I would love to hear ideas too. The hone thing I notices is that people who are doing well with the band don't post enough!! I guess they have lost the weight got the routine down and moved on. But the ones that to post stuff ...................give me very good ideas

I also am staying away from any neegetive band talk. I just don' t want or need to hear it.

I still am determined to make this work and thank goodness my band won't let me gain more than a few pounds before it tighttens up again.

I don't watch the you tubes of band diasters or problems...........I see those videos but I don't watch them they just make me feel like a failure or like it can't be done. That is what I mean by avoid negetive band talk!!

There is crazy stuff out there and I DON"T wanna hear it I need to feel postive about my band!!

Hey I thought I'd chime in! I'm a RNY patient and am 2 years out next month. Most of you don't know me, but a few do. I got down to 170 with the RNY but am up to 190 after nearly 2 years. My pouch isnt as sensitive as it was, then again I've always been hungry. I think Kaiser needs an accountability program for all bariatric patients! But I'm determined to lose 20 lbs in the next few months. :) Just thought I'd say hello! Hit me up on Facebook (facebook.com/passionbysheena)

Hey I thought I'd chime in! I'm a RNY patient and am 2 years out next month. Most of you don't know me, but a few do. I got down to 170 with the RNY but am up to 190 after nearly 2 years. My pouch isnt as sensitive as it was, then again I've always been hungry. I think Kaiser needs an accountability program for all bariatric patients! But I'm determined to lose 20 lbs in the next few months. :) Just thought I'd say hello! Hit me up on Facebook (facebook.com/passionbysheena)

Hey Sheena

Good to hear from you!!

I agree Kaiser needs some kind of aftercare. I think we all agree with that. I did talk to Dr. Baggs about it once and he said that that at this time Bariatric clinics don't have the aftercare requirement. I was saying it should be required and he said it was a good idea but not required and not enforceable. So I think in the end it is maybe just financially not fisable to provide long term, ongoing aftercare. I think they figure that is our responsibility. I haven't felt much support in the aftercare but I don't expect much in that regard anymore.

I work with Kaiser alot at work. Social workers that work for Kaiser have told me that the psychological services offered by Kaiser are not adequate and that they don't offer what most people need. I was told it was set up for crisis management not long term psycholocially services. I know they only offer group therapy and once every three month counseling visits for teens. My daughter is in their mental health program and that is all she can get. They are just to busy and it is to expensive. Kaiser social workers told me that Kaiser is not big on mental health services and other insurances do better.

But I did take a group therapy class with my daughter that was six weeks long that we both really liked. I found it very helpful. I have a couple more that I would like to sign up for.

I think aftercare might be controlled more by CEOs than by the clinications. THey see charts and money not the peo0ple coming and going.

THe aftercare issues is nation wide is what Dr. Baggs said..........it can't be required for any clnics yet anyway. It might be offered in one form or another but it can't be required. So you know CEOs might see it as optional and not fisically sound.

I was told that we are all suppose to be going in at least once every six months for up to five years with the band for checkups. Pretty sure that isn't happening. Well I know I haven't been in every six months :-)

Hello,

What Kaiser does offer are twice a month support group meetings. The people who continue to come appear to be pretty successful. It's a great bunch and there's a lot of accountability. If you're on Facebook, you can look for the Richmond Bariatric group. People post there looking for, and giving support.

They keep saying that people who attend groups tend to be more successful so I've been going 2x a month for the last 16 months and intend to continue. I'd love to see more people there. I know it's too far for many of you, but if you're close enough, give it a try.

1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month. Sometimes we have a speaker and it's fun and informative. Third floor conference room.