Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kaiser Richmond Pre-op

Medifast is a program in which you don't eat regular food - you eat there shakes, bars and they have some other things like cheese curls and crackers. It is not doctor monitored - you can order the stuff on the internet and it is expensive.

The Kaiser Medical Weight Management program uses Optifast and it is only available by prescription and is medically monitored. I am only eating 4 products a day and starting next Wed will on all regular food - although I can have an Optifast product for my three Snacks if I want. I just had my last lab work - they did 18 different tests and all of my came back normal. I see the doctor on Tuesday night.

I am so happy to see all my "old" band friends back on here -

Tina - did you talk to Michaela? I probably shouldn't have looked at the obituary this morning - made me cry at work and now I can't get the picture of her playing her guitar out of my head.

Oh my gosh who passed??? Didi miss something.

Pam how is that diet working? Im just going back to the basics... :)

The 13 yr old daughter of one of my friends at work hung herself.

The program I am on is working - I will be happy to be on all regular food here soon - it will be a 1200 cal food plan so I should be able to lose.

evidently they are now pushing the sleeve. Telling people that the success rate is not good with the band, which Im kinda starting to believe. But it really pisses me off, not that I would have gotten the sleeve cuz I dont know. I just think that they shouldn't be flip flopping on what they tell people. It's all about the money. They dont' want to tie the surgeons up with giving fills and maintenance just get em in and get em out.

I think if I just do what the heck Im supposed to Id be ok...thats the hard part.

Hey Lee I walked lake merit this morning.

In the end it is always about money...............which is disappointing in the end. But the sleeve is being pushed and the band is being phased out by default no matter what they say. At least Fremont is honest about it....

The sleeve is the band just your at your sweet spot walking out the door................

I cancelled my last fill ...........so no fills for three months. I am kinda done with fills ...........i am tired of the ER visits...............if I could convert to sleeve I would and than just be done with the fills for good. Or maybe just take out the band and be done with the surgery stuff. I am back to working this on my own. My band is a tool..........but one I can't really use for whatever crazy reason my body has for deciding it can't handle fills..............I am done fighting the fill and restriction battle.

For now I am just doing my own thing and trying to stay on the1200 cal protien plan........

I don't like the flip flopping either Jes. Just tell me straight. Either they don't like the band or financially they don't like it. I could live with the truth.......if there is medical problems they are seeing with the band or they are having to take them out..........slippage, erosion.......I want to know that too even if it would scare me. AT least I would know what to watch for................

Edited by swrktp

If you have the band you NEED insurance........I would be very scared of my band if I had no insurance and no one to take care of me if the band ever has problems. But again RNY and Sleeve could be really scary with no insurance too............All three seem to involve possibilities for problems later on...............what do you do without insurance if something goes wrong............

I know the regular ER's don't know what to do with us when we have complications.................they just say "go to Richmond".................

I fear being without an insurance in case something needs to come out or be adjusted..................

Edited by swrktp

Hi Nicole,

The Sleeve is a new surgery for Kaiser. I think they were doing it in experimental stages before but didn't start to offer it as an option until this year. Dr. Baggs told me in December that he had done 15 of them up to that point. I think they're still waiting to see the results of us that have the Sleeve. The Sleeve has been very popular in Europe in previous years and many people went to Mexico for the surgery in the last few years. So far the results seem to be comparable to the RNY in the long run.

Jes, darn! The one day I don't walk the lake and you do. I wish I would have seen you.

Yesterday I went up to Pt. Reyes and did the 8.2 mile hike out to Arch Rock. It was a goal of mine for this summer to be able to hike it, regardless of how long it would take. The guidebook said to allow 2 miles per hour for an average hiker. I did the first 4.1 miles in 1.5 hour so I felt very above average! I loved doing the entire hike with all the hills in a total of 3 hours.

My son goes back to NYC tomorrow morning so I'm losing my personal trainer. I was so happy that I got to do the hike yesterday and also pleased that he enjoyed it as much as I did. Now I'm on my own to continue with all of my workouts.

I'm always up for walking buddies! Hint hint hint.....

When I originally looked into weight loss surgery almost 3 years ago I was all for the band. I never liked the idea of RNY and god never attended for our digestive to run that way. What I liked about the band was if something went wrong it could be removed taking my digestive system back to stock. I also liked that it is adjustable. I then read about all the problems people have had with the band. I then heard about the sleeve and how the results so far are close to RNY. The only thing that gives me any worry about the procedure is how new it is. I don't think kaiser would be doing this procedure if they think there would be any bad long term effects.

When I had my appointment with Dr. Baggs I thought he was going to push the RNY because my BMI was over 50. When he instantly agreed with me for the band I was happy.

WELL.. if i could do it all over, i woulda just stuck with the preop diet and not gotten surgery. I have no insurance, and i am screwed. Basically no Fluid, but instead of pbing i VOMIT... like from the pit of my bottom stomach. IT really pissed me off today. Anyone try spirulina????

OH! And if you ever loose kaiser they dont give a crap about us anymore. I will get to goal but it will not be due to my band.. thats for sure...:cursing:

So onto a better phase.. hows everyone food today??? :) Im abou tto go to the fair. Im gonna try doing the slim fast diet for two weeks for a detox off of carbs..:)

Why dont we do a recipe of the week thing?? maybe make dieting more fun?

Hi everyone. glad to see so many posting!!! Positive inspiration...I so need it.

Reggie, Jess~Hi ladies....I'm here with you. Struggling too. I would do so much better if I just followed the rules. I'm coming around.

Ash~You go lady. You have passed me up now. I'm stuck at 191lbs. I plan to break into the 180's this week.

NEWS!!!! I BROKE MY DAMN HAND FRIDAY NIGHT! I was stepping over a chair and to keep from falling..... I hit my hand really haed on the seatback!!!! I'm in a cast and boy, oh boy I'm in so much pain... Living on Percocet!!!!

Congrats Andrew on the good apt! you can do those 12 lbs. no sweat!!!!

Lee, good to see you back on here!

Jess, thanks!

Mo!!!!! We NEED to get together asap J Sorry to hear about your hand! My loss is slowing down some so catch back up to me and we will hit the finish line together lol!

Hope you feel better Mo................

I agree with Audsmom if you lose your insurance Kaiser isn't allow to work with you anymore. I went through all that back in March and it is true they can't see you anymore. I was told you go on a list of patients with no insurance they hold for a month or so than close out.

But any insurance would do the same. Mexico people and self pay have to find their own doc and pay for all their treatment. MOst bariatric doctors won't see you if they didn't do your surgery. It is easy to end up in LAP-BAND® la-la land........................

I know alot of people like their band and that if you don't like yours more often than not people blame the person not the band........"your are failing your band, not your band failing you"..........but I dont' always think it is that simple.

I think I am getting moved to Health Net insurance in October if I still have a job. I am hoping they can find me someone to work with me................or revise me!! LOL

Edited by swrktp

Nicole, Tina and Ashley, thanks for the well wishes.

Ashley-I'm going to call you tonight.....Preparing for a nap... TTYL