Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

FREE Nutrition advice

I'll bite!! I'm fairly careful about following the plan. I originally had surgery on Dec. 12, 2007 and had 3 fills. I subsequently had 2 slight unfills, with today being my first fill in 6 months. I workout at least 45-50 minutes 5 days a week. I watch what I eat, and yet I'm not losing many pounds. (I'm down about 75-80 now...) Ideally, I'd like to lose another 45-55 pounds. I expected to struggle with the LAST 10 when I got close, but this doesn't make sense. I do build muscle easily, but my workouts are almost entirely cardio now to avoid building muscle. I thought this would all be a simple mathematical equation--I eat less than I expend and I should lose weight. I should mention that I went about 2 months before losing much weight initially. Please, tell me that as long as I keep at it, the weight will start to come off again? I'm working so much harder at this than most of the people I know, and I just want this to work. What can I do to jump start the weight loss again? (I went for a fill because I had little to no restriction for a while....) Suggestions, please?! I've tried changing up my workout, increasing Protein, even liquids for a few days here and there. I lose 1-2 pounds, but seem to gain it back on. I've been at the same weight--within 5 pounds or so--since August. Help, please.... :cursing:

Congratulations on losing 75-80 so far. That is a big accomplishment in itself.

First, I need to know what kinds of cardio you are doing 5 days a week. Also, please give me 3 days of exactly what you are eating.

You are able to lose the weight. It just sounds like your body is leveling out and needs a good kick in the ass. I can tell you exactly where to kick it, when you provide the information requested above.

Good job so far! :cursing:

I am newly banded since Nov. 20th and all though I have not been hungry at all, I am drinking the shakes with Protein in them and also now adding mushy foods to my diet. However all my friends keep expressing concern over how little I eat, saying it can't be healthy and that this seems very unhealthy for me. I am also taking a multi Vitamin daily. Am I getting enough nutrition? And what can I say to my friends who are constantly expressing concern over the small amounts I am eating? I feel great and have energy!:cursing:

I am newly banded since Nov. 20th and all though I have not been hungry at all, I am drinking the shakes with Protein in them and also now adding mushy foods to my diet. However all my friends keep expressing concern over how little I eat, saying it can't be healthy and that this seems very unhealthy for me. I am also taking a multi Vitamin daily. Am I getting enough nutrition? And what can I say to my friends who are constantly expressing concern over the small amounts I am eating? I feel great and have energy!:cursing:

I would count your calories for one day to make sure that you are getting at least 1200. If not, I would add in more Protein. I find the chili at Wendys (beans, meat, ect) goes down easily and also makes you feel full. It carries about 190 calories for the small and 280 for the large while the Protein Shakes tend to carry around 180 calories. Also having scrambled eggs is a good source of protein. I would really try to stick to mushy foods that are high in protein. You can check the internet for a possible list (high protein foods).

How much weight have you lost since the 20th?

As for your friends, tell them you have a personal nutritionist (me) and that she said you are right on track! B)

It really alarms me how little fruit and veg bandsters eat. In Australia, the recommendation is 2 fruit, five veg every single day and I try my best to do that. How can Protein be more important than EVERYTHING else? I see people post that they've eaten loads of eggs, cheese and deli meat and nothing in the way of fresh food in a day or worse, they live on Protein Shakes, which I see as a manufactured processed food and therefore not really that good. How can this be good for you long term? I see it as you may get enough protein but your teeth are going to fall out from scurvey, not to mention all the saturated fat, erk. I also find I really NEED my complex carbs - a small serve of good organic wholegrain bread or a Cereal like good muesli or oatmeal daily to fuel myself, I run daily, and I'm active in general. I've also lost all of my excess weight. I'm quite comfortable with my eating habits and we dont focus as much on protein in Australia, but we argue this endlessly on this board and I'd really like to hear from a nutritionist as to what your views are on it.

I have had my surgery, on Nov. 20th. I have lost 13 pounds. I don't have just Protein Shakes, per say. I usually make mine in a smoothie with fresh fruit, lowfat yogurt, and orange juice for sweetner. Because I am on the mushy phase, so I am now having potatoes, mushy vegetables and so forth.

Hi I am a dietitian also. Did you have the surgery? If so when, and how has it gone for you? Thanks a bunch

I had the surgery on 11/21, but my situation is a little bit different. I had a kidney transplant in 1995 and the medication that I have been on for years (prednizone, ect) overrides the Grenlin in my body that is suppose to tell me when I feel full. So I could continue to eat and never feel full. ( I started as a size 3 and ended up a size 16). I know that isn't that big, but when you are a size 3 for you entire life it is a big shock. I have been dieting for years and I finally realized that I needed something else to help overcome not feeling full. The band has been that extra thing I needed and I should be able to get back to my size 3 by next June. I find it embarrassing to tell people I am a dietitian when I am overweight. You tend to lose credability.

So far in the past two weeks I have lost 10lbs. The band is definately worth it for me.

I have had my surgery, on Nov. 20th. I have lost 13 pounds. I don't have just Protein shakes, per say. I usually make mine in a smoothie with fresh fruit, lowfat yogurt, and orange juice for sweetner. Because I am on the mushy phase, so I am now having potatoes, mushy vegetables and so forth.

Sounds like you aren't losing so much that you should be alarmed. I have lost 10lbs since the 21st. I would still count your calories for one day just to have a better idea of where you are at. I our eyes can deceive us on whether we are eating way to much or way to little.

I have a question ... i am allergic to milk and so i am eating my Protein powder rather than drinking it ... also i am a vegetarian ... am i doing right by eating the powder and give some good suggestions so that i can get my Protein from my deit

They have lactose free milk, soy milk and goat's milk. Even if you are a vegan you should be able to use soy milk mixed in with your powder. There is also a lactose free yogurt that you can buy that you can mix in with the powder. Just eating the powder does give you the same nutrients, but that has got to taste like crap????

Here are some examples of vegetarian foods with high sources of plant protein:

PROTEIN IN LEGUMES: Garbanzo Beans, Kidney Beans, Lentils, Lima beans, Navy beans, Soybeans, Split peas

PROTEIN IN GRAINS: Barley, Brown rice, Buckwheat, Millet, oatmeal, Rye, Wheat germ, Wheat, hard red, Wild rice

VEGETABLE PROTEIN: Artichokes, Beets, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Green peas, Green pepper, Kale, Lettuce, Mushrooms, Mustard green, Onions, Potatoes, Spinach, Tomatoes, Turnip greens, Watercress, Yams, Zucchini

PROTEIN IN FRUITS: Apple, banana, Cantaloupe, Grape, Grapefruit, Honeydew melon, Orange, Papaya, Peach, Pear, pineapple, strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon

Also, which stage are you in with the lap band (liquid, mushy,soft foods?)

I have a question about calorie intake. Can you really put your body into starvation mode if you eat too few calories? If it is true and you can, how long does it take for that to occur (i.e. 1 week, 2 weeks on fewer than 1000 calories)? Thanks!

It really alarms me how little fruit and veg bandsters eat. In Australia, the recommendation is 2 fruit, five veg every single day and I try my best to do that. How can Protein be more important than EVERYTHING else? I see people post that they've eaten loads of eggs, cheese and deli meat and nothing in the way of fresh food in a day or worse, they live on Protein shakes, which I see as a manufactured processed food and therefore not really that good. How can this be good for you long term? I see it as you may get enough Protein but your teeth are going to fall out from scurvey, not to mention all the saturated fat, erk. I also find I really NEED my complex carbs - a small serve of good organic wholegrain bread or a Cereal like good muesli or oatmeal daily to fuel myself, I run daily, and I'm active in general. I've also lost all of my excess weight. I'm quite comfortable with my eating habits and we dont focus as much on protein in Australia, but we argue this endlessly on this board and I'd really like to hear from a nutritionist as to what your views are on it.

I'm interested in this as well...do you recommend an Atkins like high protein diet (less fruit/veg and of course carbs), or a more reg. balanced diet?

I have a question about calorie intake. Can you really put your body into starvation mode if you eat too few calories? If it is true and you can, how long does it take for that to occur (i.e. 1 week, 2 weeks on fewer than 1000 calories)? Thanks!

Whenever you have less than 1200 calories in a day your body goes into starvation mode. It takes probably 2 days. That is why I don't agree with fasting because you are only losing the Water in your body and then your body will start using your muscle as fuel if it isn't getting it in the proper form of food. :whatchutalkingabout