Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Birth Control before surgery

Howdie All and Happy Thanksgiving!

I have a tentative surgery date of Jan. 8th. I've been on Depo Prevera for 5 years and was told that I cant get my next shot, which Im due for Dec. 13th. Wondering if anyone else has had to skip their BC before surgery and if I ask them to give me my shot right after if they will do that.

I have my pre-op appointment and bloodwork on Dec. 23rd. (Merry Christmas to me!) and will ask them then, but I thought I would come here and see if anyone else has had an issue with this.

i thought i would have to stop it before surgery and when i asked my surgeon he looked at me like i was crazy lol i even took the pill morning of surgery with a sip of Water. i would think they would want you to continue it though because i heard when you drop weight fast you are more likely to become pregnant very fast.

Birth control containing hormones can increase the risk of blood clots. The risk increases depending on person's size, history, age, etc. I don't know why your surgeon specifically wants you off of it but I can tell you its safer for you. Just use an alternate form of birth control.

My surgeon really stresses that we NOT get pregnant for 1 year post op because of risk to us and fetus, so make sure you use a good alternate birth control until you've met with your surgeon and discussed risks and when you can get back on the depo.

Good luck! :grouphug:

I'd go ahead and get the shot. Depo, especially if you have been on it for a while shouldn't cause any problems -- as it is, you are getting your surgery done "mid shot".

My Doctor told me if I was using the pill or shot I would have to stop but I have an IUD so I have nothing to worry about.

Nothing was ever mentioned to me but when I had my wisdom teeth out at age 23 (nearly 20 years ago) I was told to stop birth control then, due to increased risk of blood clots.

its quite valid advice, but it seems its not given by every surgeon. I have my tubes tied anyway, so it wasnt an issue for me, but I know a young, fit healthy woman who had a stroke due to being on the pill, so if it were me, I think I'd stop my birth control. You can always use a barrier method and get back on it after surgery.

I stopped my birth contol 1 month before surgery. I was told that being over 35 and taking birth control that contains hormones increases our risk of blood clots. That was enough for me to stop. Think about it, it is only 1 month out of your life that you would need to use an alternative method. Would you really rather risk your life just to keep taking your shot for one month? Also, you are paying (or your insurance) a lot of money to this doctor for his expert opinions/skills, why go against him on this? That's just my two cents worth. Good luck no matter what you decide.

wow, today i am having surgery and no one mentioned this to me! i have been on triphasal 21 for years, and i am also 38 yrs.old. hope i don't get any blood clots :blush:

wow, today i am having surgery and no one mentioned this to me! i have been on triphasal 21 for years, and i am also 38 yrs.old. hope i don't get any blood clots :blush:

They will probably give you a shot of blood thinner in your stomach. Good luck on your surgery!

I stopped my birth contol 1 month before surgery. I was told that being over 35 and taking birth control that contains hormones increases our risk of blood clots. That was enough for me to stop. Think about it, it is only 1 month out of your life that you would need to use an alternative method. Would you really rather risk your life just to keep taking your shot for one month? Also, you are paying (or your insurance) a lot of money to this doctor for his expert opinions/skills, why go against him on this? That's just my two cents worth. Good luck no matter what you decide.

Depo isn't the pill. Doesn't work like the pill. It takes a year for it to become effective or ineffective. I'm 48, been on it 20+ years, haven't had a period and probably won't have menupausal sympthoms according to the manufacturer. I am also diabetic and do not have hormonal blood sugar swings.

Possible blood clot vs. menopause/period/PMS? I'll take the blood clot, oh, and by the way one of the reasons I went on the in the first place is that even with birth control, I threw blood clots so bad during my period, my temp elevated,

with gastrointensional sympthoms.

I'll take the possible blood clot.

Besides, it is a non-estrogen birth control method so it does not have the risks associated with birth control pills containing estrogen.

Edited by beaglemom

Depo CAN exacerbate thromboembolytic disorders. Menopause doesn't usually kill you; clots can. It's a personal choice and if in doubt the OP should ask her surgeon what his thinking is. It may be that together they decide she can get it, or maybe not.

I find that really bizarre - risk death rather than PMT? You do realise that a clot can easily KILL you? If medical advice is to stop her shots, she should follow it! Its given for a reason.

I find that really bizarre - risk death rather than PMT? You do realise that a clot can easily KILL you? If medical advice is to stop her shots, she should follow it! Its given for a reason.

It is DEFINATELY a deal breaker for me. I also don't think the doctor or you understand depo.