Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm full, and yet I'm hungry!

UGH, this is so frustrating!!!! :):cursing:

I'm on mushies and currently on Day 20 post-op. I found this really excellent creamy chicken salad at a local deli, so that's what I've been eating for lunch this week at work. I waited until my stomach felt literally empty, and I got my chicken salad. 8 measly bites, and BAM I'm so stuffed I can hardly swallow normally. But I'm still hungry! My stomach is growling, I swear! I guess the chicken salad is sitting in my upper pouch (which is a good thing, because I feel full) but my lower stomach is empty and having a field day with all the gurgling noises. I seriously feel hungry, and at the same time I feel full. I can't stomach another bite without nausea, but I feel like I should keep eating. This is such a horrible feeling!!!! Please tell me this isn't standard practice for the lap band, and that this kind of feeling will go away? :P:cursing:

Sounds like you may be experiencing a little head hunger and physical hunger. I would think if you would eat regularly (if your doctor suggested) 3 small meals and 3 small Snacks that include Protein (don't wait until you're starving and stomach growling) then you probably won't have the physical hunger pangs. I hope this helps.

Well, I guess what I meant was I tried to wait until I felt hungry - which to me is an empty feeling. I never really knew what it was like to be hungry, ya know? I always just ate when I thought it was time to eat.

I had a packet of Weight Control banana bread oatmeal for Breakfast at 9:45a, but it took me until 10:30a to finish it. Then at 12:45p I thought I was feeling hungry again, so that's when I got the chicken salad. Maybe I wasn't really "hungry", which is why 8 bites filled me up? I don't have any fill in my band right now, and I'm pretty sure the swelling is all gone.

Drats, who knows?? This is tough! Figuring out what's real hunger and what's just the instinct to eat?? It's so tiring, I need a nap... :)

I am on a full diet. Banded 9/22 and one fill on 11/11 and I experience the same thing. I don't want to get into the head hunger thing. I'm either hungry (not satisfied) or I'm not. And since I started on the 6 month diet last December I have been hungry most of the time - before and after I eat - yet I can only eat so much with the band. It is a big fear of mine that the banding will produce the worst of both worlds - it won't affect my hunger but I can only eat a little. And by the way, my diet doesn't allow for Snacks - just 3 meals a day. When I was at my heaviest I knew when I wasn't hungry anymore - when I ate enough to be satisfied - now that doesn't happen.

I am not telling anyone not to listen to their doctors, but for this reason is why I am unable to eat just 3 meals a day. I had the same experience in my 1st year. I, right now, eat maybe 6X's a day. I nibble all day. I eat protien for my 3 meals, with some veggies. If I make 1 chicken breast for lunch and I can't finish it, I will nibble on it throughout the day. For those of you who can only eat a couple of bites at a time, it's not like your getting alot of calories per sitting. Your calorie intake is what really counts, not how many times you eat. Of coarse the doctors don't want you to eat full meals more than 3 times a day. This can be difficult because you can't drink with meals, 1hr. before meal, or 1hr. after, but I learned to figure it out. They say that you should only need 3 meals and some say no Snacks, but don't be afraid of tweeking your food and times you eat to your body and lifestyle. When I started to do that I began to be more successful. I truly think that if you are only eating a couple of bites of food for a meal it is not very healthy. I exercise alot and need the energy and stamina food gives me. That is why I think that the anorexic type eating that some doctors promote is not healthy. I personally leave my band on the loose side so I am able to eat over a cup of food for meals. You will find your own way, just don't be afraid to experiment.

I am not telling anyone not to listen to their doctors, but for this reason is why I am unable to eat just 3 meals a day. I had the same experience in my 1st year. I, right now, eat maybe 6X's a day. I nibble all day. I eat protien for my 3 meals, with some veggies. If I make 1 chicken breast for lunch and I can't finish it, I will nibble on it throughout the day. For those of you who can only eat a couple of bites at a time, it's not like your getting alot of calories per sitting. Your calorie intake is what really counts, not how many times you eat. Of coarse the doctors don't want you to eat full meals more than 3 times a day. This can be difficult because you can't drink with meals, 1hr. before meal, or 1hr. after, but I learned to figure it out. They say that you should only need 3 meals and some say no Snacks, but don't be afraid of tweeking your food and times you eat to your body and lifestyle. When I started to do that I began to be more successful. I truly think that if you are only eating a couple of bites of food for a meal it is not very healthy. I exercise alot and need the energy and stamina food gives me. That is why I think that the anorexic type eating that some doctors promote is not healthy. I personally leave my band on the loose side so I am able to eat over a cup of food for meals. You will find your own way, just don't be afraid to experiment.

Laurigee - what you are saying makes alot of sense. It also sounds like even if you are trying to eat 3 small meals a day and you cannot finish one of the small meals, then you should make time to get it in - even if that makes it 4 small meals - it's the same amount of food - just stretching out the time it's eaten.

jmegirl-I wish I had your problem. I hardly ever feel full from my meals and I know I'm eating at least a cup of food at sitting. In the morning I don't eat so much but at dinner time, I have to stop myself from eating.

Hi i am one week out from banding, i know what you mean about head hunger. I am not hungry but i really want food. I am still on liquids and seem to spend most of my time in the bathroom as soon a i take anything out it comes.Really not looking forward to thanksgiving.

I dont feel like I am doing so hot. I have recently had my first fill and have gained some weight. I know right. Its like what the heck????? I dont have any energy and Im starting to kind of get depressed. Any advise or information? Help I dont want to be the me I used to be I want to be the new me ;-)

I dont feel like I am doing so hot. I have recently had my first fill and have gained some weight. I know right. Its like what the heck????? I dont have any energy and Im starting to kind of get depressed. Any advise or information? Help I dont want to be the me I used to be I want to be the new me ;-)

When I'm really tired a lot, I drink a protien shake in place of eating a meal and it helps a lot. It keeps me focused on the reason I had the LapBand in the first place, losing weight and being healthier. My doc. told me at the very beginning that if I feel I have no energy, it's probably lack of protien so drink a shake and see if it helps. So far it has.

I get this feeling often when I've let myself get too hungry, I do like laurigee said and eat smaller amounts more often and it doesn't happen near as much. It's a very odd feeling to be full and hungry at the same time huh!

i did really good over thanksgiving, pureed the turkey added gravy a small amount of mashed potatoes and i was set. try to think positive thoughts, think ahead to good health. I lost 10 pounds in two weeks and that is something to cheer about for me, don't know how i will feel in 6 months.

UGH, this is so frustrating!!!! :thumbup::cursing:

I'm on mushies and currently on Day 20 post-op. I found this really excellent creamy chicken salad at a local deli, so that's what I've been eating for lunch this week at work. I waited until my stomach felt literally empty, and I got my chicken salad. 8 measly bites, and BAM I'm so stuffed I can hardly swallow normally. But I'm still hungry! My stomach is growling, I swear! I guess the chicken salad is sitting in my upper pouch (which is a good thing, because I feel full) but my lower stomach is empty and having a field day with all the gurgling noises. I seriously feel hungry, and at the same time I feel full. I can't stomach another bite without nausea, but I feel like I should keep eating. This is such a horrible feeling!!!! Please tell me this isn't standard practice for the lap band, and that this kind of feeling will go away? :lol::cursing:

I still struggle with this. Its a very odd sensation when your large tummy feels hungry but your pouch is at maximum fullness. Sometimes I think a lot of it is psychological w/me and wish I had been better prepared for this. It will get better.:thumbup:

I have very bad head hunger. Before I was banded. I literally ate a portion controlled meal with my family. I would measure it all out. example: a 6 oz chicken breast, 1/2 cup of starch, and veggies. I would clear the table, we would be sitting down in the living area, and I would feel like I was starving.

I have it still now..........I don't think it is that bad. But I have talked with my Nutrician and she told me not to eat 3 meals a day, but 6 small meals. She gave me some great examples too.

I know what you are going through. I don't have my first fill yet, and I am hoping that this will relieve some of that head hunger. But After reading alot of the posts after there first fill.........I am not that encouraged.

I hope you can get some help and have you talked to your nutriciast. Maybe they can help with some training technicquies.

Keri