Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things People Pass Off For Compliments and Things Skinny People Say That Piss You Off

some that I've heard

*in 6th grade some kid was behind me and yelled "God I hate it when fat people get in front of me"

*my mom would watch me making Soup for lunch and say how she'd rather have me be anorexic because I'd be rolling to school next year (That's when I was in 6th or 7th grade)

*My brother said I should lift weights because I had manly arms

*My cousins asked when I was in 5th grade why I had such manly legs.

I developed early and was 145 lbs and 5ft tall in 5th grade and with a 34C. Yeah I was awkward.

Also I have a friend who is skinny and always says stuff about how we can go walking together and lose weight. She has 10 lbs to lose, I have 140lbs. Oh and the "Oh you're not THAT big." I hate that.

And the "You'd be so pretty if you lost weight" or "You would have a great body if you lost that belly"

o yeah...and this guy i was friends with was after me and this other girl. he chose her and told me...if I grew out my hair and lost weight...THEN he'd go out with me...well I intend to grow out my hair, lose the weight and tell him what a loser he is. Cuz he told me that when i was 175 lbs. Now i'm 260 and my b/f now has been with me since I was 180. He's never mentioned my weight. I even told him (a 20 year old guy) that after i lost weight I might have saggy skin, and he said he didn't care. he just doesn't want my boobs to go lol...anyway my b/f now is the most amazing guy I will ever go out with...lol

It is so nice to be with people who love you for you. Someday I hope to find that.

I once said to my friends " I know that if there was something you could say that would help me, you would say it. For that I feel blessed. Otherwise most of this talk is often annoying, insulting, or embarrassing."

Some of them never mention it anymore. And, I've accepted that the others are trying not say anything anymore.

I still remember being 13 years old and my mother driving me to ballet class and giving me "the talk". Not the Birds and the Bees mind you, the "you're getting heavy and it's embarrassing me" talk. Never mind that I was half her size, a good foot shorter and much thinner than she was at my age. At 13 years old and a size 6, I was fat.

And she wondered why I got rebellious after that.

i think i've heard EVERY fat comment you can imagine but the most humbling ones came from my son a few years ago when he associated everything with shapes. he looked at my mom & thin friend & told me they were rectangles, my dad was dieting so he said "he is an oval now but he used to be a BIG circle like you, mom!!!" to this day i have pics he has drawn of me---a perfect 360 every time!:thumbup:

My Great-Grandma had cataracts on both eyes & had recently had one eye fixed. At my Aunt's baby shower she proceeded to exclaim, "Jessie! You're fat! (which I have been since age 5)." Then she told one of my Aunts that she had a lot of wrinkles. To which my Aunt replied, "Keep it up old lady & we won't get your other eye fixed!" My family's crazy!! LOL!!

Too funny. Are you sure we aren't related? LMAO

Forgot to quote msg so you would not wtf I am talking about.

LMAO. Don't ya wish that could happen? If I could laugh it off, I wouldn't be planning on having lapband surgery.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Well - one that hit home for me was when my daughter was about 4 (she is 6 now). I had no privacy when my daughters were really small - especially when you tried to go to the bathroom, it's like it was a family event. She came into the bathroom and pointed at my butt and asked, "Mommy, why do you look like that?" I asked her, "Like What?". She said, "Why is your butt so big."...I told her, "That is the way God made me." She responded with her big blue eyes so serious, looking from my huge butt to her little one and said, "God musta messed up, cause I don't look like that". I was floored! I started crying. I look back now and it was kinda funny - she was so seroius. Of course she starts crying cause she made me cry. I don't think I'll ever forget that.

Another one that comes to mind is when one of my co-workers found out that I was banded and I started losing some weight he commented, "Man, you're gonna be a knockout!"...WTH? What am I an ugly fat dog now or something? I didn't say anything to him, I just looked at him.

Well - one that hit home for me was when my daughter was about 4 (she is 6 now). I had no privacy when my daughters were really small - especially when you tried to go to the bathroom, it's like it was a family event. She came into the bathroom and pointed at my butt and asked, "Mommy, why do you look like that?" I asked her, "Like What?". She said, "Why is your butt so big."...I told her, "That is the way God made me." She responded with her big blue eyes so serious, looking from my huge butt to her little one and said, "God musta messed up, cause I don't look like that". I was floored! I started crying. I look back now and it was kinda funny - she was so seroius. Of course she starts crying cause she made me cry. I don't think I'll ever forget that.

Another one that comes to mind is when one of my co-workers found out that I was banded and I started losing some weight he commented, "Man, you're gonna be a knockout!"...WTH? What am I an ugly fat dog now or something? I didn't say anything to him, I just looked at him.

Leslie, I can see why that comment from your little one hurt at the time. Children that age say the darnedest things for sure. I'm just glad you can look back on it in peace now though.

As far as the second story goes, I think maybe you misunderstood him. That was actually a big flirt! You are very pretty now and he's telling you that you are going to be smokin' after!! Can't be mad about that! :biggrin2:

Guest Leslie2Lose

Leslie, I can see why that comment from your little one hurt at the time. Children that age say the darnedest things for sure. I'm just glad you can look back on it in peace now though.

As far as the second story goes, I think maybe you misunderstood him. That was actually a big flirt! You are very pretty now and he's telling you that you are going to be smokin' after!! Can't be mad about that! :biggrin2:

Irene, girl you are too sweet! I didn't look at it as a flirt though...I can see where it would be. I don't think I heard the knockout part, just thought man I must look like sh** now. I haven't been flirted with in so long I forgot what it was - LOL

My youngest is still just as opinionated! I'm gonna have my hands full when she gets older. She is too smart and perspective for her own good sometimes.

Oh my, I have so many since I have been overweight since elementary school. My cousin use to sing this song to me when we were little "fatty and skinny laying on the bed, fatty rolled over and skinny was dead". I will never forget her singing that to me one day when we were laying on her bed. Funny thing is she is now overweight herself. LOL One guy in high school told me my thighs looked like a Thanksgiving Turkey. My uncle and cousin pointed out to me at my cousins wedding that I have SUCH a beautiful face (that one really hurt). I can't even count the number of times dh (also when we were just dating) has gotten in a fight over someone saying I was a fatass or something like that. :teeth_smile:

wow all these storys sound so familer in one way or the other once in high school my grandmother told me that if I ordered some cheesecake for dessert I wasn't gonna fit in my prom dress (which I went to alone) oh and for Prom all my so called friends rented a limo and then told me they didn't have enough room for me in there and went on to say that they were having a much skinner person (they said her name not that she was skinny) ride with them instead. I had a now best friend talk about me to another girl in high school and said that if she was ever that big to shoot her....and now she is if not bigger....my brother called me a 200lb baboon...both of them are freakin skinny :eek:....I get the but your "cute" comment all the time which is just annoying. No one expects me to have a significant other EVER when we go out to bars while all taken girls are trying to find the single girls guys i'm usually left sitting at the table drinking by myself because i'm to freakin self concious to EVER put myself out there.....oh and just last night me my brother and parents were ordering pizzas and we orders a large and a medium and when we were discussing AMOUNGST OURSELVES if that was enough (meaning to bring some home for the next days lunch) the waitress said oh I think that will be more than enough for you guys....ARE YOU F*CKING KIDDING ME! :biggrin: and last but not least Me and a friend who is also a big girl were at mcdonalds and she ordered her meal "large" and the guy taking the order said I should have known.

oh oh oh one more when i was younger in high school i had a crush on this guy and i over heard his friends saying "why does it matter you've done a fat girl before" :smile:

AND finally the reason we all remember these things in detail is because they freakin hurt I wish skinny people got that whenever guys are assholes to me about my weight I just wanna be like "I heard you have a small d*ck" I mean thats what bothers guys right! Even though that would just bring me down to their level

oh and if i go thourgh life never hearing the words "you have such a pretty face" again i will die a happy person this includes when I lose the weight... never again:sneaky:

When I first started dating my husband 20 years ago... after meeting his family at a few different gatherings, they told him that I took good care of myself for being big.."She always has her hair and makeup nice and she is so clean!" Of course there wasn't a heavy person in the bunch until now!!!! LOL

Even now my husband will quip... "But, you're so clean!"

You know what's funny, we've all heard the same things over and over again, we all know how ridiculous they are, yet we've all still let them bother us!

I have three stories, the first was when I was about 15 years old. I can remember stepping on the scale in front of my grandma (who was 5'10" and never weighed over 135) and it was at like 132 and she flipped out on me telling me how disgusting it was for someone my height (5'5") to be over 120 lbs.

The second was my freshman year of college, I weighed in at around 125 (yeah, definitely not fat considering I wore a size 2 pants, but I had really big boobs so wore a size 16 top, should've been a guy's dream right?) and my bf at the time told me "my fraternity brothers say you're cute but too chubby" as a reason why he didn't think we should be exclusively dating anymore. Turned out later that the fraternity brother in question actually was trying to date me and was putting that in his head so he would dump me and the other guy could swoop in, both of them...pricks! For some reason I thought I was in love w/the first guy and stuck with him, slowly gaining weight b/c of the low self-esteem I had. Eventually I woke up, saw him for what he was and dumped him when I was about 150 lbs. He called me a few months later and said "now I can only date fat girls though, b/c you ruined me, skinny girls just don't do it for me anymore". Talk about a backhanded compliment.

The third thing didn't happen to me, but to a friend who is a bigger girl too, she came to visit me here in Europe and we went to Paris for a few days. We were sitting in the park beside the Eiffel tower and this beggar woman came up and asked us for money. We basically just ignored her, and she got mad and started saying things to my friend like. "Vous Mangez tout" (you eat everything) and then just started shaking her head in disgust saying "trop gros" (too big) over and over again. Luckily, my friend has a great sense of humor so she just looked her in the eyes and said "at least I can afford my own food".

I've also gotten tons of the "you'd be so hot if..." comments or the "god you're good looking for a bigger girl" ones. For some reason I also get the guys who want to tell me how much they like a girl with meat on her bones, like yeah, that's how to compliment a girl!