Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things People Pass Off For Compliments and Things Skinny People Say That Piss You Off

I was told, "At least you have a wonderful personality". Or, what about when people know that you are coming over to their home and they give you the special/different chair??!!!!

This thread has entertained and disturbed me. So many similar stories, so much pain, and yet we have all survived the thoughtless words and actions of others.

I too have had decades of 'You would be so pretty, if you lost some weight" "You have such a pretty face" etc...

The most recent example: the receptionist here is very thin. She is thin by both nature and by her lifestyle choices - and that is fine by me. She sincerely complimented me on my recent weight loss (thank you), and then finished it with 'when you get older like you though, weight isn't as important'.

Where to begin...being overweight is acceptable once you reach a certain age? OLDER??? I'm 50 not 95.

I really hate when people see you coming and move out of your way excessively! Like, do you really think I need THAT much room? People can be so rude sometimes!

I don't hate people moving out of the way excessively as much as I do the people who won't move AT ALL just to watch you try to squirm past them or wait until you say Excuse Me like you were some kind of slimy lower life form asking for a favor from the ever-so-condescending Lord or Lady Bony Butt!!! LOL, Ok, I've said my piece.

Hugs!

Donna

lol These are crackin me up.

I did have someone tell me that he liked having friends like me because your kind is always jolly. *gasp* WHAT?! like Santa Clause?

I was shocked for about a minute...Then looked him in the eye and said yeah but my kind dosent like elfs. and walked away. (he was a little short.not too bad just shorter then me)

I had more hateful things said to me as a thin person than I ever did at this weight or at 300. People would make fun of me and call me anorexic... toothpick... they would be like, "gross you are too skinny" and act like it was a compliment... they thought I wanted to hear that. Women hated me.. treated me like crap. The only time I was ever prejudiced against as a larger woman was when I was in my 190's (which isn't even big) this guy wouldn't stay with me because he thought I was too fatm but he liked size zero women.. other than that.. people have always been nice to me...

Well count yourself lucky. you somehow missed the snide comments.

When I started to work at the company I am at I worked out in the factory. Our line was made up of 9 people only one of them was a guy. the team leader and her 2 best friends would throw screws at me and laugh when I turned arround. They would put notes on my back and be basicaly hateful to me. I had just started working their so it was not like I was mean to them or anything. they were so mean to me I would cry on my lunch hour. But I knew I couldnt quit because I needed the job.

I heard more fat jokes the first month of working with them then I did growing up. And when I said something I would get the whole "stop budding in our conversation we were not talking TO you"

It still hurts to remember that time.

Well count yourself lucky. you somehow missed the snide comments.

When I started to work at the company I am at I worked out in the factory. Our line was made up of 9 people only one of them was a guy. the team leader and her 2 best friends would throw screws at me and laugh when I turned arround. They would put notes on my back and be basicaly hateful to me. I had just started working their so it was not like I was mean to them or anything. they were so mean to me I would cry on my lunch hour. But I knew I couldnt quit because I needed the job.

I heard more fat jokes the first month of working with them then I did growing up. And when I said something I would get the whole "stop budding in our conversation we were not talking TO you"

It still hurts to remember that time.

That is so terrible!! :thumbup: I'm sorry you had to go through that. People can be so evil and nasty... WHY? That story just upset me really bad. I wish I was there, they'd get a screw aimed right at their noggins!

Yeah, I am the non-violent type so I dont really throw things. But now that I am a little more secure in my job I would definitly of loged a complaint. Not that anything would happen for it. Because size discrimination is the last form of acceptiable discrimination out their.

Anyway, I would definitly retaliate if it happened now. Even though she was my team leader.

I quit smoking a year ago. I'd say it's still acceptable to discriminate against smokers. Smoking is still legal.

Crystal I've seen women be very rude to other women they thought were thinner, prettier, dressed better, etc.

Fat people, myself included, aren't the only ones who suffer from others thoughtlessness.

I did have a woman approach me once in after a meeting, I'd never met her, and she said "I used to weigh three hundred pounds, but I had lap band surgery, I can't reccomend it enough." I replied, "Too damned bad they couldn't make you smarter, too."

Damn that pissed me off.

Talk about family feeling free to give you insults and advice because after all they are family and you shouldn't take it personally (and be too sensitive - I was always told). I have struggled with my weight all my life and have been fat and thin.

My grandmother once told me when I was a child that it should be easy for me to learn to swim because fat or blubber would rise to the top and float.

My aunt who is always pushing food, will go around the table and offer cake for dessert. When she gets to me, she will offer me fruit because I am naturally on a diet.

My father, who is 80 and not senile. He always thinks he is funny. I told him that I recently lost 25 lbs. He said, my aunt would say (but she wouldn't and he did). When you are 500 lbs, 50 doesn't really show. Needless to say, I will not discuss my diet or tell them that I have a lap band. My children and husband are my support system.

Yeah, I am the non-violent type so I dont really throw things. But now that I am a little more secure in my job I would definitly of loged a complaint. Not that anything would happen for it. Because size discrimination is the last form of acceptiable discrimination out their.

Anyway, I would definitly retaliate if it happened now. Even though she was my team leader.

Yeah, I hear you. I'm not violent at all either, but I would sure have though about it! :thumbup: Remember that saying that went around for awhile back in the day "Mean People Suck"? They really do!

I firmly believe, what you do comes backe to you three fold. Good and bad.

So I try to have my good deeds and thoughts out weigh the bad.

Not saying I am always nice...Just that I try to be more nice then mean.

I've been a high school teacher in the past. High school kids can be so cruel. I had just finished talking to the principal and was coming out of his office. Three boys were in the hall discussing the tests I had just given back. One of them was cussing and said, "That f***ing, fat, nasty cow. I was one point away from an A. You think that oinker could have cut me some slack and given me the point." The other two boys saw me coming up behind him and their eyes got real big. I paused, and folded my arms until he turned around. When he saw me the color drained out of his face. I told him "it was safe to say that an A would NEVER be in his future if it now depended on me cutting him some slack." Like he was cutting me some slack? Little twit.

After my recent 50 loss, I was feeling a little better about myself and was desperatly needing a new bra. My old ones are falling off me. I have been SO SICK of white, tan and black bras that I thought I would treat myself to Victoria's Secret. I heard they had started making a little bit bigger sizes, and they now had what I currently wear. I was SO EXCITED. I wanted to prance around and show off for my husband. I got there, told them what I wanted. They handed me a box of sample bras to try and left it at that. They wouldn't even help me. They just left me in the dressing room. I asked for her several times when she came back to help other, young, sexy, thin people, and she always said, I'll be back in a second. She would never show up for me, just ushering new people in the dressing rooms and bringing them bras to try. I was there for an hour with no help. I finally started to cry, got dressed and walked out. Sure burst my bubble!!!!! I gave all my coupons and gift certificates to my son's girlfriend. I'll never set foot in that place again.

I had more hateful things said to me as a thin person than I ever did at this weight or at 300. People would make fun of me and call me anorexic... toothpick... they would be like, "gross you are too skinny" and act like it was a compliment... they thought I wanted to hear that. Women hated me.. treated me like crap. The only time I was ever prejudiced against as a larger woman was when I was in my 190's (which isn't even big) this guy wouldn't stay with me because he thought I was too fatm but he liked size zero women.. other than that.. people have always been nice to me...

OMG I so agree with this. I havent been "hated" or treated like crap but women are so jealous - not in younger circles like at uni where everyone is thin and gorgeous but in older circles, sure. Everyone watches what you're eating (in the staffroom at a school I'm currently doing teaching rounds), makes snide remarks about why are YOU dieting and gets defensive and shitty becuase they're eating a huge plateful of something fatty!

I always get into this argument here, but fat prejudice against thin is just as alive and well out there as thin against fat!