Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things People Pass Off For Compliments and Things Skinny People Say That Piss You Off

What has anyone said to you that they meant in the best way possible, but it actually hurt in the long run. An example of what is always told to me is "you are sooo pretty to be your size."

Another thing a skinny girl once told me, not realizing my weight and state of depression, was that she would kill herself if she ever weighed 200lbs, then asked me "wouldn't you?" And I was thinking, I'm still alive you scrawny b****. I can laugh now, but it kept me depressed for years, oh Lord I have some stories of the goofy things people say to me, not realizing my position.

When I was in high school I had a huge crush on this one guy. He told a friend of mine that I had a really pretty face and if I lost weight he'd go out with me. At the time I was like, OMG, how sweet - I'll have to lose weight (ended up bulimic several months down the road and struggled for years to overcome it).

Then I grew up and took him for the jerk he really was... haven't looked back since.

lol, my ex has a cousin that is like the perfect girl, she is gorgeous and STUCK-UP and she never failed to ask him "why are you and that fat girl dating?" and also "if she would lose weight she would be so pretty." This is so horrible because I have known her for longer than I have known him and now I am just the "fat girl", what is hilarious is that she has forgotten where she has come from, before her mother was knocking down 250,000 a year, she wasnt making anything and this girl was "fat" and her mother is aneorexic and all she ever does and still does is rag her about her weight, while she does the same to other ppl, and my ex would feel sorry for her!!!! Well that's why he's my ex right?

Guest Loobie

It's funny, most of the comments I've had are off people who are just as heavy, if not heavier than me!

One day I was explaining to a girl who I worked with (who was quite a bit heavier than me) that I had had a body massage and that the masseur had really dug her fingers in when massaging and it hurt. The girl at work said "that's because you're fat". I was gobsmacked, as she had said in front of a lot of colleagues and I was rather embaressed. Bearing in mind I was about 180lbs at the time and she was at least 250 :speechles But she was one of these people that thought she was better than everyone else and seemed to take pleasure in making me feel bad about myself. I was only 19 and it did really make me fell upset at the time, but now I see that she was just trying to make me feel bad.

One woman who was at least 500lbs once told me I was a fat moose!

I can honestly say I have never made hurtful comments to anyone about their weight, as I know how much it hurts, so I do not understand why they did it to me. I have had a few more experiences like this, but I have come to the conclusion that they are now insignificant to me.

My Great-Grandma had cataracts on both eyes & had recently had one eye fixed. At my Aunt's baby shower she proceeded to exclaim, "Jessie! You're fat! (which I have been since age 5)." Then she told one of my Aunts that she had a lot of wrinkles. To which my Aunt replied, "Keep it up old lady & we won't get your other eye fixed!" My family's crazy!! LOL!!

Well, I just went through a similar experience when I went back to Texas for my ps. My aunt who is overweight, said she didn't understand why I was putting myself through all of this, I was always a pretty fat girl, not sloppy or anything and since I am such a good dresser, I looked pretty that way. I just think she's jelouse that I was able to do this for myself. I asked her, (she used to have a really nice body when she was young, I remember her always wearing daisy duke shorts and two piece bikini's when we went swimming when I was a little girl) Don't you wish you had the same good body you had when you were younger??? Don't you wish you could still wear those little short shorts and your two piece bikinis??? She responded that she's old already and the times pass and she had her day. Well, I told her, your only 45 that is not old and I bet you anything that you'd give anything to look and feel the way you used to, that shut her up. I love her and I know she means well, but it still pisses me off. They don't understand why my husband would let me spend money like that, why would he pay so much money for the band and then for all my ps??? Well, probably because he loves me and wants me to feel good about myself, and I'm sure getting there. It has taken a lot, but I think I'll finally be in a skinny bitch.

I had plans to go out with a friend to a club...she invited another friend of hers to join us. This was no problem with me as I always enjoy meeting new people. After about 2 hours of hanging out in this club, this new person looks at me and says, "can I ask you a question?". Well, of course, I said "sure, no problem". She said to me, "why would such a beautiful women like yourself let yourself get so fat?". Talk about a compliment with a slap on the face!!!!

Ha, see I knew I wasn't the only one who has to hear all these types of comments! Do you all know how many little kids ask me if I am having a boy or a girl?? Thinking that because I am big, that I am pregnant????LOL!! Oh YEAH!!

I was babysitting a few weeks ago for my ex's boss and coworker. They had two little 8 year old girls who are just hilarious anyway. Well I took them to the lake to swim, and as we were leaving I noticed some weird footprints, it was a relatively small foot with a HUGE big toe (like they had dug that one in on purpose playing around) and I pointed it out to the girls. One of the said "OHHH It must be big foot" and the other one said "No goofy, it's just a fat person's foot." At which I promptly told them that not all fat ppl have big feet, and told them to look how small mine are (I still wear children's shoes). Then they both said "Miss Jodie you ARE NOT FAT!!!" And proceeded to tell me I was too fun to be fat, then I took them to the pool that night and they were playing around on me, like jumping on my in the pool, and I would take them down to the deep end and that kind of stuff, all of a sudden I hear "MISS JODIE YOUR BUTT IS LIKE A TRAMPOLINE!!!!" I am usually self-conscious about my MEGA REAR but I couldn't help but laugh soooooo hard I thought I was going to drown.

ok, I just had to add my "fat story". I was at DisneyWorld with the kids and we were standing in line with my 3 kids (then 8, 7, and 3 year olds). Myoldest said, in a rather loud voice "MOM, I don't think you will fit on this ride".

To this day, I have a fear the bars on rides will not go down !!

Alexandra, I thought u were from New Jersey?

I've lived in New Jersey since 1992, but I was born and raised in Manhattan and lived there and in other boroughs until I was 30. My farm-fed looks have baffled many a fellow. :)

Wow, that's harsh coming from your own kids.

It might sound that way, but it's not. Kids just say what they think and it was probably a fact. At storytime my daughters always make a big show of moving aside on the pillows we sit on, so there's room for "Mommy's big butt"! They used to have to move a lot farther apart, though. :)