Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things People Pass Off For Compliments and Things Skinny People Say That Piss You Off

I can't tell you how many times I've been in the "normal" size section of a store only to have a skinny salesgirl tell me I'm in the wrong area and point to where I should go. Hello...Like we don't shop for other people!!

Shopping with my friend this weekend we went into Victoria secrets. I am a large chested girl and can not fit into their bras. I know this I was not shopping for myself. While my friend was trying on bras she asked me to find her a pretty set to try on. I am picking out a few and the sales lady came up to me and said "Our products dont come in your size" My mouth dropped open and I was so stunned. When my friend came out of the dresssing room I told her what the sales lady said My friend was pissed off and made a HUGE scene in the store and even called the GM while we were in the store and told the GM that she was prepared to spend a few hundred dollars today. But because of the rudeness of the sales lady to her friend (me) she would not do business in that store ever again. and Our frinds and Family would not be shopping ever again and It would be posted about on the internet about how rude sales people were in Victoria Secret.

I love my friends.

Shopping with my friend this weekend we went into Victoria secrets. I am a large chested girl and can not fit into their bras. I know this I was not shopping for myself. While my friend was trying on bras she asked me to find her a pretty set to try on. I am picking out a few and the sales lady came up to me and said "Our products dont come in your size" My mouth dropped open and I was so stunned. When my friend came out of the dresssing room I told her what the sales lady said My friend was pissed off and made a HUGE scene in the store and even called the GM while we were in the store and told the GM that she was prepared to spend a few hundred dollars today. But because of the rudeness of the sales lady to her friend (me) she would not do business in that store ever again. and Our frinds and Family would not be shopping ever again and It would be posted about on the internet about how rude sales people were in Victoria Secret.

I love my friends.

I am a class room mom at my daughters school.

I was there one day helping out when the kids started a who is the tallest in the class discussion. The teacher finally said ""No I am the tallest."

Just then one of the children pointed at me and said

" And she's the fattest."

Before I could control myself I blurted out "And your are the rudest."

Part of me felt like yea I finally said what I think to someone that hurt me!

The mother part of me felt ashamed that I said something hurtful to the kid. :)

There is always a war going on inside of me to do the right thing. I lost that battle.

Man it's hard not to fire back at people that hurt your feeling.

At the end of the day my daughter said to me "you told him Mom!. "

I know that my being over weight is hurting her. That's what make me cry! :)

Here is hurt feelings that unfortunately I did to myself. I was in a department store recently and I was looking for pants. I have gone down to the smaller sizes in the plus section so I figured maybe I should look at the biggest sizes in the regular section. As I was shopping the racks in the normal section I felt like women were looking at me like "you don't belong here". I am not totally sure if it was real or my pathetic self esteem giving me bad messages but I had to leave the store. The worst feeling is it may have been all me!

One day I picked up my daughter at daycare and went to my car. I was already inside the car and this man parked right in front of me where I didnt think I could pull out without hitting him. I rolled down my window and said excuse me you are blocking my car. He said "if you would lose some weight then maybe you could squeeze out" I was livid and lost control and just hit the gas while screaming curse words at him. Fortunately my angels must have moved his vehicle some because I didnt hit his car. I saw him several other times in the parking lot and I just gave him dirty looks. I now use another daycare. There are alot of jerks out there!!

Not me I would of pulled up and blocked his car. and sat their for the rest of the day. with my doors locked and read my book. I would of called into work with a "sick" day. yep. I am that much of a witch I would of gone out of my way to get him back.

My aunt, who I can't really call my aunt because she is just newly married.. Anyway, this lady that claims to be married to my Uncle for a second time was looking at old pictures of our family. My cousin, who has up and down weight loss and thinks she is better than everyone. (we all have those in the family) Well this lady states "wow, you have lost a lot of weight in this picture. you are so skinny now" And then there's this awkward silence and I know it must be a picture of me. "When were you this skinny? Several years ago?" I knew she meant to say man, you have gained weight! Of course, my mother heard this and in my defense said, "I'd rather be heavy than look like an old lady like you!" Needless to say, Thanksgiving wasn't very much for my emotions. Sometimes I really hate people!

Here is hurt feelings that unfortunately I did to myself. I was in a department store recently and I was looking for pants. I have gone down to the smaller sizes in the plus section so I figured maybe I should look at the biggest sizes in the regular section. As I was shopping the racks in the normal section I felt like women were looking at me like "you don't belong here". I am not totally sure if it was real or my pathetic self esteem giving me bad messages but I had to leave the store. The worst feeling is it may have been all me!

All of these stories deal with the pain and marginalization that society - and even our loved ones - impose upon us. The above quoted story displays how we end up by internalizing this and then we find that we are dishing out this same crap to ourselves. This is a very interesting and valuable thread.

Whenever I visit this thread I am left with the impression that we are very brave people.

Can I just say how much I LOVE this thread? Thank you thank you thank you all! :frown:

I've got several stories, but the one most prevalent in my mind is about a year ago at church this woman came up to me and handed me a card- she said she had found some miracle weight loss juice and that it was recommended by someone she knew at church (cause that makes it better, right?) and she encouraged me to buy it and I could come over to her house and would I mind if she called me... blah blah blah! I was in shock- I spent the next two hours (because my husband was teaching) in the car crying to my sisters. And since that day, every Sunday I avoid her. Sometimes I can tell she'll see me down the hall and come towards me to talk, and I turn the other way. Kind of mean, but I don't even care!

Once I was standing in a mall and a man handed me a weight loss card and said I should look into it. I don't know what it was advertising- I tossed it in the trash. How rude that strangers come up and say things like this! I don't go up to smelly people and hand them soap! I don't give anorexic people a brownie!

One last one- when I was a kid, around 12, I liked this boy and was telling my dad about it and I said I think he liked me, you know because boys like curves. My dad said, "Not those kinds of curves." *gasp*

Okay, the end. Thanks for listening... sorry I went on and on. :tt2:

I read this thread, and laugh, then cry, then laugh, then cry again. Wow!

Once a kid at the pool (about 8 years old probably) told me I looked just like Ursula from the Little Mermaid movie.

My little girl, when she was about 5, would tell me she didn't want me to lose weight, because she liked my comfy pillow belly, and that if I lost a bunch of weight I wouldn't be the mom she knows and loves so much any more.

My son, now 16, tells me rather regularly that soon I'll be so skinny, and I am obviously losing lots of weight. Mr Charm :frown:

Edited by Freetofly
because I can't freaking type hehe

Can I just say how much I LOVE this thread? Thank you thank you thank you all! :biggrin:

I've got several stories, but the one most prevalent in my mind is about a year ago at church this woman came up to me and handed me a card- she said she had found some miracle weight loss juice and that it was recommended by someone she knew at church (cause that makes it better, right?) and she encouraged me to buy it and I could come over to her house and would I mind if she called me... blah blah blah! I was in shock- I spent the next two hours (because my husband was teaching) in the car crying to my sisters. And since that day, every Sunday I avoid her. Sometimes I can tell she'll see me down the hall and come towards me to talk, and I turn the other way. Kind of mean, but I don't even care!

Once I was standing in a mall and a man handed me a weight loss card and said I should look into it. I don't know what it was advertising- I tossed it in the trash. How rude that strangers come up and say things like this! I don't go up to smelly people and hand them soap! I don't give anorexic people a brownie!

One last one- when I was a kid, around 12, I liked this boy and was telling my dad about it and I said I think he liked me, you know because boys like curves. My dad said, "Not those kinds of curves." *gasp*

Okay, the end. Thanks for listening... sorry I went on and on. :thumbup:

You know, if you have other things you want to tell, we have no problem with you going on,and on, as you put it!

Let it all out----let it go! Those experiences do not define you, they define the rude people behind them. Sometimes verbalizing them, or writing them out, allows you to finally see them for what they were, an action of a rude person, and no reflection of YOU! Let them go.

In the end---we will still be who we are inside, while being much smaller on the outside. And they will still be who they are--rude, mean, inconsiderate people.

Sometimes that is hard to say, when some of the most hurtful comments come from family! But as much as I do love my MIL, she is full of mean comments concerning my weight loss---she used to be very different, I chalk it up to her turning into a grouchy old woman. She is rude to others about other things---so it isn't just me!

Hold true to yourself.....there are times I see someone, I truly want to inform them about Lap Band and what it can do. But I would NEVER!!!!!

Hang in there, and vent as needed!!!!

Kat

I had a doctor once ask me "Did you ever think of losing weight?"

Like I was supposed to go "Wow, I never thought of that - would that help?"

Needless to say I never went back to him.

The rudest thing I ever had happen was shortly after we moved into a new house, new area, new Church, etc. We had been going to this new Church less than a month when a couple about our age invited us over for dinner after Church - thinking great we are meeting new people in our new area. Well we got there for dinner and it turns out they are selling weight loss products and while we did eat dinner it was one big sales pitch -- we never bought anything and we kept our interaction with them to an absolute minimum after that. Turns out they did that for everyone they saw that were overweight.

Edited by mnn2501

When I was in middle school and had to ride the bus, there was a group of boys on there who called me "Big Momma" and would poke me in the behind with straight pins to see if I could feel it through my fat.

My ex-boyfriend once told me I was a pretty girl, but if I would lose some weight, I would be a damn good-looking girl. So I did - after we broke up!

My son told me once when he was younger (he's almost 18 now) that he was glad I was fat because when he was sick, I was nice and comfy to lay on and snuggle with. If I was skinny, it would be like lying on an army cot! Somehow, I couldn't be offended by that reasoning!