Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things People Pass Off For Compliments and Things Skinny People Say That Piss You Off

A few years ago while vacationing in Spain me and my friend - we are both "thick" girls - were just walking around the city at night we had done our hair and makeup just to look and feel cute. as we were walking up the street we saw a bunch of guys standing outside of a bar and they were all staring at us as we were coming up the street. as we passed by one guy had the nerve to say "you can find something special in all women except those two" none of his friends said anything because i think they were embarassed. once we turned the corner we just stop because we were both just so hurt and shocked at what was just said. I felt like I had been stabbed in the heart. another time while vacationing in Dominican Republic while we were laying on the beach just relaxing not bothering anyone 2 guys walking down the beach made the usual beached whale comment.

what i find funny is that in both cases the guys that made the comments were american and we were in countries where the local guys were all over us because they like women with curves and meat on their bones!!!

:faint:

I've also gotten the "well it doesn't matter that you're fat because you're beautiful". I don't usually let it get to me. But one day a friend (who probably weighs 100 pounds fully dressed and soaking wet) asked me if I thought she looked like she'd gained weight. I said "first of all, NO, and second of all, probably not a good idea to ask a fat girl if she thinks you've gained weight when you only weigh 100 pounds yourself".

She felt really bad!

Wasn't sure what to make of this one:

Co-worker pre-banding (skinny) said, "Wow, Shannon, you're going to look like a totally different person!"

What's that supposed to mean?

My former neighbor is the queen of backhanded compliments. One of my favorites is "you dress really nice for a "big" girl" to which I must reply "I dress really nice, period..." Her other favorite was she thought our neighbor was cute and if I lost some weight, kept exercising he might be interested in me. What???? Who said I was interested in him? She did crack me up...

She is in her early sixties and weighs about 130 and is obsessive about her weight. She also has to "grade" someone's looks when she talks about them...I had lunch with So-and-So, she's not really pretty but she drives a nice car, or So-and-do is cute, but really overweight, she'd be so cute if she could loose weight.

So glad she is a FORMER neighbor. I have been able to surround myself with extremely supportive people (in both my personal and work life)

In the not too distant past, my co-workers and I were having a meeting. After all the important things were discussed, and as it usually does, the conversation went off topic for a few minutes. One of the skinnier young ladies here asked everyone if they watched (I think she said Dr. Phil) and mentioned it was about overweight people.

She said to everyone, "Some of those women were over 200 pounds! I can't believe anyone would let themselves get that big, can you believe that???!"

I was so mortified by that, and no one else said a word. I hope they weren't NOT saying anything for my sake, since I was the biggest person in that room, and I am wa-a-ay over 200 lbs. Something tells me they were... :tired Uggh! Anyway, she is a really nice person, and I don't think she realized it until after, when she suddenly became mute and the meeting was soon over.

How embarrassing!!

I used to work in the front reception area for an accounting firm. One day, an older lady who owned a modeling agency came in. We were talking about other things when another employee (a very thin, attractive woman) from the back office walked through. The lady turned to me and said, "The ladies here get thinner and thinner!" Then, she looked me up and down and said, "It would be for you, too, if you backed away from the table once and a while."

I was a bit upset and replied, "Well, since I left my feed bag at home I have to use to trough." She didn't say anything else, and our relationship was strained ever since.

Why do some people think fat folks just sit and graze all day? I eat less than some people I know who can't put on weight. I used to work with a lady who had MS and was, maybe, 80 pounds. She tried hard to put on weight, but couldn't.

I've been made fun of since high school, when boys thought it was fun to say, "Grab the harpoon! It's moving!" So, I've grown accustomed to making fun of myself before others do it first. But, when I'm not expecting it, someone will surprise me with how rude they can be.

Ms Modelling Agency is one rude bitch, isn't she?

Oh, yes...that was the first infraction...I think she took my comment back as an attack on her! She was always nasty to me when she'd come in after that. One year she didn't come in and I it was because she had passed away. I'm not normally nasty, but I just couldn't bring myself to go to the funeral w/my coworkers. Afterall, I'd be waaaay too fat to sit in the chairs and then I'd have to see all her "thinner and thinner" chicks? No, thank you.

Hahahaha. Yesterday I was at Target looking for some yoga pants. In the Women's department. There was a not thin, not fat lady ahead of me poking through some clothes that were hanging on the wall. She had a kid in her cart distracting her. I wlked by and was looking on the other side of her, and she says, "Oh! I didn't realize these were the really big sizes." Then she looks at me, gives me that up & down look, turns red and says "Sorry I didn't see you there."

It's ok lady, I'm PROUD of the sz 18 I pulled off the wall! (People assume you have always been as fat as wheneve they see you)

Today a guy at the grocery store told me I looked like "the modern day Mona Lisa." And I'm thinking... umm... a gender neutral person with no eyebrows?!?

I have so many of these stories, I don't even know where to start. haha.

When I was about 20, my grandma decided she wanted to buy clothes for me and my cousin for Christmas AND that meant she had to measure us. I was dreading it. My cousin was probably about a size 3 at the time. I was about a size 18/20. After she finished measuring me, she said "Well for someone who is as big as a cow, you have good measurements since there is 10 inches between your waist and hips." Right in front of my skinny cousin. Niiiiicccceeee. Then again my grandma isn't known for her tact, therefore she knows nothing of me being banded.

A couple of years ago I had to have an ingrown toenail removed and so went to see the podiatrist. He asked me if I'd ever been any smaller than I was (size 24 at the time) and I said yes I'd been much smaller at one time. He said "Wow you must have really been a knockout. Such a shame. You have a pretty face. You should try to get small again." WTF?? He was supposed to be looking at my TOE!! What the heck did how I look have anything to do with it? Geez.

I had a (now ex) best friend who was obsessed with talking about people's weight and how HUGE they were and I'd see them and they were smaller than me. Gee thanks. I found out from another friend that she'd said behind my back that I'd just given up and let myself go and didn't care what I looked like any more. That really hurt.

I was a vegetarian for several years and when I was in high school I once had a guy ask me how I could be a vegetarian and still be so fat. I was only 165 lbs at the time anyway but I pointed out to him that vegetarians do eat more than just bean sprouts and carrots.

Just remembered another one...

When I was about 19/20 I was working in a fast food place that sold burgers as well as around 20 flavors of ice cream. A co-worker of mine was also overweight and we both happened to be working the front counter that day. A man walked in and he stood back a little ways from the counter and said LOUDLY in front of everyone "Well I can tell the food must be good here from the looks of the employees." Then he said to me "You must have test tasted all of the ice creams...which one is the best flavor?" Talk about total humiliation. Of course me and the other girl both just laughed along with him and acted like it was all cute and funny. But I was dying of embarrassment.

I love this thread...It's a little theraputic for me.

Grandma's:

I had the same situation. My uncle's 3 daughters are about a size 3-5...they take after their mother. My grandmother used to crochet the 4 of us the same pattern sweaters. I was about 10-15 and I could never fit what she made me. At Christmas we'd open the gifts and have to try them on in front of everyone. How embarassing!!! I hated it. I think my Grandma took some sick pleasure in that...But that could be my own twisted thought!

Doctor:

I went to a back doctor because I had a lump on the base of my spine. It took him 5 seconds, he looked at it, felt it...then sat down and started writing on his pad. I asked what it was and he barely looked up at me to tell me it was a fat deposit from me being so overweight. His recommendation was to lose weight. While I'm glad it was *only* a fat deposit, it was very embarassing to sit there in the room, in all silence while he's scratching on his pad: FAT DEPOSIT. :eek:

Just remembered another one...

When I was about 19/20 I was working in a fast food place that sold burgers as well as around 20 flavors of ice cream. A co-worker of mine was also overweight and we both happened to be working the front counter that day. A man walked in and he stood back a little ways from the counter and said LOUDLY in front of everyone "Well I can tell the food must be good here from the looks of the employees." Then he said to me "You must have test tasted all of the ice creams...which one is the best flavor?" Talk about total humiliation. Of course me and the other girl both just laughed along with him and acted like it was all cute and funny. But I was dying of embarrassment.

That's the worst...having to laugh it off when you really just want to tell someone to go to hell.

I just remembered something too...

Awhile back my Hubbsy and I drove down to visit his Dad & Wife (Not his Mom). While we were there it was just FIL/SMIL and myself sitting in the livingroom. They noticed my minute weight loss and commented on it, saying I was looking nice. Okay, I can take that - but then FIL had to follow it with "You should keep it up and get skinny, I want to see my Son with a thin, beautiful woman on his arm. Don't you want to be thin for him?"

Then SMIL agrees!

I never told my hubbsy that. I'm still too embarrassed to this day... :eek: