Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Things People Pass Off For Compliments and Things Skinny People Say That Piss You Off

I do some consulting work in the horseracing industry, and was working at at race track one day in a booth training some people. I was talking to a co worker, and I hear "Hey, fat girl! Fat girl!" I turn, and it's this older guy in a wheel chair (who had at least 30 lbs on me anyway) and he says "You wanna know why fat girls always hang out with skinny chicks? It's because they know they'll have something left over when the skinny girl is done!" I didn't even know what to say. I couldn't say any of the things racing through my head, because while I wasn't a track employee, I was a representative for another company, so he was by proxy my 'customer'. I suddenly had a very important phone call I had to make and walked away.

Sarah! :eek

goodness... I probably wouldve started crying right there!

He obviously was full of his own pain, so he had to "share" it with others.

God bless him.

All of these stories on here just amaze me. I think the part that gets me most, is that I could NEVER bring myself to say something like that to someone else, be it about weight, race, hair color, ANYTHING! My mom said something to me when I was little, and I really think it's sculpted alot of my life. My little sister did something and ended up stubbing my toe, and I said something to the tone of "can't you be smart?!". My mom briskly grabbed me up and sat me down and explained to me that saying something like that was me telling my sister that I didn't believe that she could be smart. That got my attention, and then she said "If something hurts you, why would you want to turn around and cause them pain? If you feel so bad, why would you want anyone else to feel that way?" So, that's how I live my life. I guess it's a different way of saying the 'Golden Rule' but it stuck with me when she said it that way. So, knowing that, I guess I just can't understand people that do things like this.

Sarah! :eek

goodness... I probably wouldve started crying right there!

He obviously was full of his own pain, so he had to "share" it with others.

God bless him.

I walked away because I didn't want him to have the satisfaction of seeing me upset by his idiocy. To add to the story, my boyfriend works with me, and he was there too. Boy was HE mad!!!

Originally Posted by Marimaru

I do some consulting work in the horseracing industry, and was working at at race track one day in a booth training some people. I was talking to a co worker, and I hear "Hey, fat girl! Fat girl!" I turn, and it's this older guy in a wheel chair (who had at least 30 lbs on me anyway) and he says "You wanna know why fat girls always hang out with skinny chicks? It's because they know they'll have something left over when the skinny girl is done!" I didn't even know what to say. I couldn't say any of the things racing through my head, because while I wasn't a track employee, I was a representative for another company, so he was by proxy my 'customer'. I suddenly had a very important phone call I had to make and walked away.

OMG!!! Well if he was in a wheel chair let's see, he could have always had a freak accident on a handicap ramp right?? What about being a friendly neighbor and um... hitting a big bump or 2 or 3 lol! I am mean I know, but they made me that way.

One of the reasons that I got my band is because I didnt want my kids to have a fat mom. My son who just finished 4th grade has had kids tease him because he has a fat mom. At my heaviest (since my kids have been in school) I weighed 240 which isn't THAT huge. Still though, I am SOOOOOO much happier now, I LOVE the fact that I wear an 18 comfortably and have one pair of 16s.

I have this weird "drive" to get another fill SOON so that I can lose more weight before the kids go back to school. Don't ask me why....cause I have no clue.

Someone tried to tease my son about having a fat mamma, but my boy-oh is the same kid who came crying to me when he realized that one of his little friends would never have a fat mamma. He thought that was the saddest thing in the whole world, not having a fat mamma.

two years ago on Christmas eve we went to the grocery store to pick up some last minute items for the holidays. I was standing off to the side near the front door (completley out of the way) waiting for my husband. This guy out of no where runs into me with his shopping cart and yells "get out of the way fat ass!". I was shocked and the only comeback I had was "merry christmas to you too!" I was so embarrased. Anyway I didn't tell my husband until we were in the car because I knew he would have hit the guy and I didn't want to deal with that on Christmas eve.

It's amazing to me how people treat other people so badly. I can't even imagine being so full of yuckiness that I feel the need to treat others so badly.

Ruthie, I give you so much credit and I wish I could be more like you. I would have turned around and said a few choice JOISEY 4 letter words.

I've been heavy my entire life. In my early 20's I weighed over 300 pounds. I lost 150 lbs and kept it off for 10+ years (mostly by starvation), anywhoo... I have several brothers and sisters, the sister closest to me was over 400 lbs. When we would go out (me being at a healthy weight at that time) I would watch people stare at her, I mean even turn around and give her looks. Can I just say how much this broke my heart. I would watch them, stop dead in my tracks and say "what the *f* you looking at." My poor sister would just die inside but I just couldn't let people do that to her. I was proud of that beautiful woman, no matter what her weight. I am NOW very proud to say that she is dieting and is down to about 280 lbs :D:D:D:D She is struggling but she keeps trying. She is very much in support of me and lapband :) (I won't even tell my mother b/c she just wouldn't understand).

When I was 18 I worked in a nursing home, the kitchen of all places. One woman who I was serving lunch to looked me up and down and said "WOW YOU ARE FAT" The first thing that came to my mind was No *S* Shirlock. I didn't say anything back b/c I was taken off guard, I was a kid. But deep down inside, that nasty remark really cut me to the bone.

Some people will never get it :)

Hugs !!!!

I was talking with 2 co workers at work one day. Lets call one D and the other S. They both owned horses and kept them at the same stable. S only owned her horse for about 3 months. D was telling her that other people at the stable were commenting that S wasn't taking good care of her horse. She said that some were considering calling the humane society. D continued to tell S what she needed to do to care for the horse properly. They were discussing that the horse needed to be exercised daily and S said she didn't have time to do it every day. Then I opened my big mouth and said "I'd be happy to help out and exercise your horse a few days a week". Here response was "I don't think my horse can handle your weight!" I only weighed 175lbs at the time. I was so embarrassed!!!

Well, I went shopping yesterday, and for once people actually helped me and asknowledged me inside the store (I am talking about the sales people). Then someone had to ruin it and say, hey you are really funny and cute for a big girl! Thank GOD I was in a good mood, and said, "wel you are pretty helpful for a scrawny guy!"

I had a pretty good relationship with my boss who knew my weight was a big issue with me. She had made comments a few times "you have a pretty face"

Pretty FACE!!!! PRETTY FACE!!! What about the rest of me.alien.gif I knew she meant well so I never said anything.

Here's a good one! I had worked really hard for a summer with one of my Aunts helping me to lose 100 lbs. I was feeling good about myself & got a job bagging groceries at a supermarket. I had worked so hard this day & it was well past time for me to have had a lunch break. It just so happened that one of the checkers was being trained to be a night time supervisor. When I approached her to ask about my lunch break (with all of the teeny boppers hanging around her mind you) she replied with a sneer, " You don't need a lunch!" That hurt! & I was too embarassed to go to the management.

hmmm. that is rough. But on the other hand, I am so glad that I am not the only one that has ever endured this, and I hope that everyone here can use this as a spill all, and even make "light" of it (no pun intended at all)

I really get frustrated when friends ( best friends even) talk to me about how "HARD" it is for them to loose weight and how unhappy they are with thier weight issues ( like the entire 5-10 pounds they have to loose). When ever i bring up my weight she says stuff like "I know, I have never gotten my pre-pregancy body back. My body is just different. i know exactly how you feel"

I wanna sceam at her - you're a size 6 - you have no f**king clue how I have felt!! She always wants to talk about how hard she is trying to loose weight. I know she doesn't mean it, but it just makes me mad!

Jen

218/192/130

June 16

for some people, women in particular, being 5-10-15 pounds overweight has a more severe impact on them than it does for some of us who are 100 pounds overweight.

Anorexia, bulima, et.al have terrible consequences.

I've watched women in my pilaties class who are just devistated by how "fat" they are, all size 6 of them. In the locker room one day, a young woman was in tears because she'd "gained" ONE pound.

I have no f*ing clue about how she felt.

I've had men tell me that if I didn't loose weight they would leave me. I told them where the door was.

I've also gotten the "you have such a pretty face" I'm like what about the rest of me!! "you'd be so pretty if you'd lose weight" what I'm ugly now?!!!!
So many of us have heard those comments, usually from other women. Now that I'm an old broad I'm not on the receiving end of these catty remarks. But just once I would have loved to have said, "You have such a great ass; you'd be so pretty if you got a new face."