Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have failed my band - SUPPORT GROUP

Don't be so harsh on yourself. Just figure out why you ate the sweets? Physical pain, emotional pain, jealousy for family members eating them without you. When you do that you can find another way to react for next time.

The one that gets me the worst is Physical pain. So I try to take a hot shower or put the heating pad on, or take some pain meds. If that doesn't work I just go ahead and eat it. The longer I beat myself up over it the more I eat. Strange huh? Then I try to start again as soon as possible. Whether that is my next meal or the next day.

Hope tomarrow is a healthier happier day. We can do this together.

I think this is my first time posting here. I have had my lapband since late June, 2008. I cannot tell you how excited I was to start this journey to find my old body, my energy, etc. I have struggled since early on. I think I have lost a total of 25lbs. That is very disappointing for me. And with that disappointment, it has not made things easy, however, I have not stop trying.

I unfortunately don't know all of the details, I have a large band, which I think holds 14cc, at one point I think I was at 8.5cc....still no results, no feelings of restriction.

Then they got the new machine that xrays the barium swallow....the P.A. decided that I needed a band holiday because my esophagus was dilated. I cried in the office. He put me on steriods and a antibiotic. After about 3 wks, he had me do the barium swallow again and he said the esophagus was back to normal. And guess what, I didn't gain any wt during this period....I think I was to scared to allow that to happen.....the other thing that he suggested was that I had restriction while empty. Huh????....what in the heck was he talking about....I was at a point of using willpower to get me thru this period and I didn't know how much longer I had on that....

So he gave me a small fill anyway, against his better judgment....hmmmmm.....still I felt no restriction. Finally, I demanded to speak to the surgeon....he said fill her up, let her feel restriction....then back it off so that I could consume some calories....I then had to promise to come back in 1 months time.....

No weight loss....

So, I got another visit with the surgeon....after listening to my symptoms, and looking at my xray pics....he suggested that maybe I suffer from a hiatal hernia. But there is no real way of telling without going in....the xray pics show shadows (which suggest a hernia)....in the pre-op phase he thought I had a lazy esophagus...now he said that could have something to do with the hernia...

But this is what happens to me....I never get sick, except when I'm first filled (likely a result of swelling)....I never have a problem swallowing ANYTHING....sometimes I chew enough....but it is not a habit because if I swallow it whole there is no problem. I can swallow horse pills with no problems.....instead my food will just sit in my chest....and at some point later, I will fill some pressure and then a movement (my food going down)....according to the surgeon....there is some theory in the eyes of surgeons that say that a hiatal hernia could thwart weightloss efforts....the way he described it is with a tube of toothpaste....if that were your stomach which is situated below your diaphragm, it is the combination of the diaphragm at the top of the pouch and the band around the center of the tube of toothpaste that work together to provide restriction. If there is a hernia, the stomach will retreat back above the diaphragm and you lose some of the restriction.

I still don't regret my decision for a lapband. I admit some of the failure on my part. But I'm having a hard time considering it a tool over my 2 year experience. I just hope that on Fri that the surgeon finds and repairs any abnormalties....and that I am able to use the band as a tool to get started again.

StrangeDZ are you back on track? I did so bad a few days ago with nachos and Peanut Butter swirl chips that I ate whatever I wanted for a day. Yesterday I started the pouch test that Missy suggested. One full day on liquids. Come on lets all lose this weight together.

Missy how are you doing on liquids? Thanks for you pouch test idea.

Bounser How is the gym? You are going to be the tonest one of us. Go girl.

evil- how are you doing? Have you many an appt with the dr to get rid of your fears and see whats going on? I made a deal with myself that if I didn't lose each week I would go see a different dr. I think it's helping.

One thing I thought of for all of us, is why did we do this in the first place? I was thinking about that and it helped motivate me some. I just couldn't wait for my surgery to start down this road. So maybe we can all list reasons why we did it. My first reason was being afraid of becoming diabetic.

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Edited by 2-Lose-Fluff

StrangeDZ are you back on track? I did so bad a few days ago with nachos and Peanut Butter swirl chips that I ate whatever I wanted for a day. Yesterday I started the pouch test that Missy suggested. One full day on liquids. Come on lets all lose this weight together.

evil- how are you doing? Have you many an appt with the dr to get rid of your fears and see whats going on? I made a deal with myself that if I didn't lose each week I would go see a different dr. I think it's helping.

One thing I thought of for all of us, is why did we do this in the first place? I was thinking about that and it helped motivate me some. I just couldn't wait for my surgery to start down this road. So maybe we can all list reasons why we did it. My first reason was being afraid of becoming diabetic.

I did 3 days of liquids but I was supposed to do a week. I feel more restriction and am watching my portion sizes however it is that time of the month so I haven't seen much movement on the scale. I'm going to start eating a lot of fish and veggies for a jump start and hopefully will start to shed some pounds. Good luck on the liquids. They are no fun. I love solid food so much now after all liquids:thumbup:

I'm the biggest failure here.

I was first banded January 2007 and lost almost 90 pounds and those were some happy days. In May of 2010 we discovered that my band slipped. How did we discover it I was slowly gaining weight and with the first couple of pounds I just kept telling myself that I can take it back off. July 2010 I had my slipped band replaced, and I have had to fills since, but I don't feel any restriction. So I find myself eating all the time whenever my head says to eat I'm right there with it. I haven't lost weight since the new band, but I can tell you that I have still gained though. I am up 32 pounds from the weight that I was before my slipped band. I stopped exercising because I just want to curl up and die. I started exercising again and it has been a slow road to even find that motivation but even with the exercise I still get up every morining to stand on the scale and see that it weights more then the morning before. I'm tired of it all I want my body back, I want my band to work, and I want to be able to have restriction. Oh hell at this moment I would take an eating disorder...one other then the overeating one that I have. I cry every morning because my scrubs don't fit for work but I squeeze my thighs and hips into them and pray that I don't have to bend over to much. I can't wear my normal clothes either, so I have started just wearing my stretchy yoga pants. I refuse to buy bigger scrubs or jeans because I'm afraid if I purchase the bigger size I will just continue to get bigger and then have to buy the bigger size again. I just keep saying that I will get back into my clothes and they make me feel bad about myself, but that is the one thing that has motivated me to exercise again.

I eat really good at work, like yesterday I had a side salad and my Protein shake, I get all my Water in even...I get home and that's when things change. Last night after being so good at work my husband decides to buy pizza and wings for him and the kids...I had 5 boneless hot wings. Of course he (hubby) keeps telling me that I'm not eating enough and that is why I'm still gaining weight.

As hard as it is for me to admit this, I havent been back on track. I cut out the high calorie drinks, but am still munching on cheese, chocolate bars and ice cream... ugh. I've gained 4 pounds in a week! First I had too much in my band and lost 13 pounds in two weeks and had some taken out, now I dont have enough in my band and can eat whatever the heck I want! :)

As hard as it is for me to admit this, I havent been back on track. I cut out the high calorie drinks, but am still munching on cheese, chocolate bars and ice cream... ugh. I've gained 4 pounds in a week! First I had too much in my band and lost 13 pounds in two weeks and had some taken out, now I dont have enough in my band and can eat whatever the heck I want! :)

Before you were unfilled were you too tight? Sounds to me that you need another fill. How much did you have in there and how much do you have now?

Before you were unfilled were you too tight? Sounds to me that you need another fill. How much did you have in there and how much do you have now?

Yeah, I was too tight. I couldn't even keep down liquids. I could only eat a few bites and was stuffed. Sounds great, except I was sooooooo thirsty! They put .5cc in and I had them take out .25cc three weeks later. I guess that was too much to take out.

I have 8.25cc in a 10cc band. I know I need a fill, but my doc wont be in town until the end of January, so I just have to hang in there.

I drove 8 hours for the unfill because I had to, but cant justify driving another 8 hours a few weeks later to get some put back in.... I wish I could tho! I dont want to gain it all back!!! :)

Thanks 2 Lose Fluff

I've been doing good at the gym I went 4 days this week miss 1 day cause I wasn't feeling well due to a cold.

My reason for getting the lap-band was to get healthy. I wanted to get off my meds I was taking, 13 pills a day. Now I only take 4.

Way to go Bounser. Keep those gym seats warm for all of us!!! Ha ha. Hope your cold is better soon.

StangeDZ does your band adjust tighter when you have a cold, fly or you swell from salt? Mine does maybe being filled so close, all you need until your dr is back is a little more salt. Or if it was so tight and you had a cold or inflamation in your system that's why it's so loose now. On a rainy day my band is too tight. So I just try to do the best I can until the sun shines then it's too loose. It drives me crazy. Try to cut out one type of food at a time and then the next day another. I get so overwhelmed when I stop, fat, sugar and various junk all at once that I normally continue to eat more than I should. You can do it.

Confused - Is your hubby jealous that you are losing? Try to reassure him that you are under Dr's care to do this and the amount you eat with your Vitamins and Calcium is healthly for you. Ask him to help you get on track not undermine your progress. Some hubbies just like to hear that we still love them even though we weigh less.:(

Ok I've been really good all week so I weighed myself Friday and gained 2 lbs. I was so pissed and wanted to give up but didn't. I weighed myself again yesterday and lost 7 lbs!!! I had to weigh 3 times to believe it myself. Trust me if I can do this anyone can:thumbup:

Hello Everyone-

I am a VERY sporadic person to this site, but I saw your heading for the support group and knew that I needed to post.

Reading through the many pages, I can only say how much I was glad I was NOT the only one going through my problems. I failed my band miserably. I was originally banded in June 2008. By June 2009 I was at my goal weight. By December 2009, I had gained half of my weight back due to complications that required I have Fluid removed in significant amounts.

In June 2010, I was back at my original weight pre-surgery. They removed all of my Fluid for two months. I stated my fills again in August and was slowly....very slowly getting back on track. I had three fills up to two weeks ago, were I went for a barium swallow and found out that I had over stretched my pouch. They took out half of my fluid and told me to go on liquids for a week, then mushies, then regular.

Ha! After almost two weeks of pigging out, I forced myself to go on liquids today. I had kept my appointment for the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Knowing that I was going to have to weigh in and have another barium swallow, I kicked my butt into gear.

I am constantly berating myself for my failures. I literally had thrown away all of my original clothes, so I have about 5 outfits I can wear to work. I had made it to the promised land and ate my way back into hell. I ask myself Why? all the time. But, I know why. I love food and I like to eat.

I am hoping that with your support and my own lousy will power, I will get back on track. Please pray that I can make it these next 10 days on liquids only. I will try and post every night on my lead up to my fill. Then, I can only pray that they can give me a fill and that my esophogus is back to where it should be.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. - Raquel in Texaws

Hello Everyone-

I am a VERY sporadic person to this site, but I saw your heading for the support group and knew that I needed to post.

Reading through the many pages, I can only say how much I was glad I was NOT the only one going through my problems. I failed my band miserably. I was originally banded in June 2008. By June 2009 I was at my goal weight. By December 2009, I had gained half of my weight back due to complications that required I have Fluid removed in significant amounts.

In June 2010, I was back at my original weight pre-surgery. They removed all of my Fluid for two months. I stated my fills again in August and was slowly....very slowly getting back on track. I had three fills up to two weeks ago, were I went for a barium swallow and found out that I had over stretched my pouch. They took out half of my fluid and told me to go on liquids for a week, then mushies, then regular.

Ha! After almost two weeks of pigging out, I forced myself to go on liquids today. I had kept my appointment for the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. Knowing that I was going to have to weigh in and have another barium swallow, I kicked my butt into gear.

I am constantly berating myself for my failures. I literally had thrown away all of my original clothes, so I have about 5 outfits I can wear to work. I had made it to the promised land and ate my way back into hell. I ask myself Why? all the time. But, I know why. I love food and I like to eat.

I am hoping that with your support and my own lousy will power, I will get back on track. Please pray that I can make it these next 10 days on liquids only. I will try and post every night on my lead up to my fill. Then, I can only pray that they can give me a fill and that my esophogus is back to where it should be.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. - Raquel in Texaws

Raquel-I feel your pain. I love food more than anything and I too have gained almost all of my weight mostly due to getting comfortable when I met my fiance and going out to eat alot etc etc. I finally got to the point where I was like OMG why do I keep doing this to myself? I paid $12k for this surgery and you think that would have been enough to stick with it. I lost 80 lbs before and I can do it again only this time around I WILL stick to it. I too had a stretched pouch and went on a three day liquid diet and can feel a little more restriction. Trust me the liquids will shrink your pouch and you will feel alot better. We are all in this together and we WILL succeed. :)

Missy You are doing great girl. Keep it up.

Raquelin You should be proud of yourself for trying to shrink that pouch. I'm struggling too but logging in and seeing how others are struggling makes me try a little harder. I've lost only 8.5 lbs since I got back to tracking my meals and exercising.

Today I am finally 1/2 way in my weight loss journey, AGAIN. I have to quit beating myself up over the fact that I had lost 90 and put 32 of it back on. Today is a new day and I am only concerned about today. If I do the right things it will come off again.

Missy You are doing great girl. Keep it up.

Raquelin You should be proud of yourself for trying to shrink that pouch. I'm struggling too but logging in and seeing how others are struggling makes me try a little harder. I've lost only 8.5 lbs since I got back to tracking my meals and exercising.

Today I am finally 1/2 way in my weight loss journey, AGAIN. I have to quit beating myself up over the fact that I had lost 90 and put 32 of it back on. Today is a new day and I am only concerned about today. If I do the right things it will come off again.

Fluff congrats on the 8.5 lbs. It's a step in the right direction:biggrin: we can all do this if we stick to our band guidelines and have each others support!:thumbup: