Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have failed my band - SUPPORT GROUP

I was banded in 2007 or 2008.. I haven't even kept track because I hate my band.. I wish I had gotten Gastric Bypass because at least I probably would have gotten to my goal weight before gaining all of my weight back.. I started at 320 when banded and got down to 242 before going back up to 292.. Now I am at 288. I hate my band.. I have had so many fills and had to go back the next day for an emergency unfill. Its ridiculous. Right now my restriction is good but I have learned to eat around my band.. Ice cream etc. also my metabolism is so screwed up from years of dieting thats its just pathetic. I guess I just wanted to vent.. I have failed and it was expensive!!!! ugh

I'm w/ u. I was banded in 2004 I think, not sure. I am now 20 lbs lighter than b4 I had the surg. I dont necessarily hate my band but I hate myself for failing. i loved the feeling of weighing less. i would love to be able to start over knowing what i know now. If anyone can help i'm all ears!!!!!

I was banded in 2007 or 2008.. I haven't even kept track because I hate my band.. I wish I had gotten Gastric Bypass because at least I probably would have gotten to my goal weight before gaining all of my weight back.. I started at 320 when banded and got down to 242 before going back up to 292.. Now I am at 288. I hate my band.. I have had so many fills and had to go back the next day for an emergency unfill. Its ridiculous. Right now my restriction is good but I have learned to eat around my band.. Ice cream etc. also my metabolism is so screwed up from years of dieting thats its just pathetic. I guess I just wanted to vent.. I have failed and it was expensive!!!! ugh

I'm not for sure if I'm even quoting this right. Pls forgive me if I mess this up. I too feel like a failure. I was banded in 2008 and I feel like a big fat miserable failure. If anyone has any advice how to start over or what I should do PLS HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm w/ u. I was banded in 2004 I think, not sure. I am now 20 lbs lighter than b4 I had the surg. I dont necessarily hate my band but I hate myself for failing. i loved the feeling of weighing less. i would love to be able to start over knowing what i know now. If anyone can help i'm all ears!!!!!

I'm not for sure if I'm even quoting this right. Pls forgive me if I mess this up. I too feel like a failure. I was banded in 2008 and I feel like a big fat miserable failure. If anyone has any advice how to start over or what I should do PLS HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you have decent restriction? Do you need a fill? Since my last fill I can barely eat and am losing weight like gangbusters. Before that, it was mostly on my will power and excercise alone. I was also banded in 2008. Have you discussed your loss with your surgeon?

Hello All-

I was too tight in August of 2010 and had some fill removed - I was ok with it at the time becuase I had two vacations and the holidays coming up. Well, of course, I gained weight! I feel for anyone who does not want to go to their doctor after gaining weight and thinks- oh, I will wait until I lose a few pounds. That is really silly. I have been there- but it is a BAD idea! I went back to the dr this week and he gave me a 0.6 cc fill. I already lost 2 pounds! I feel so much better....it was nice to eat, but it feels so much better to lose weight!

Thanks for starting this one. I don't hate the band, I hate the way I have used it. Or more correctly, have failed to keep up with what I know. I stopped getting regular fills, eat the wrong foods and don't limit meal time to 15 minutes. I was exercising until I tore a tendon in my ankle. But that has been healed for over 6 months. Finally, when a friend was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and wanted an exercise partner, I have started that back up. Now it is time to get the food choices under control. Like the thread and so many of you have said, the band didn't fail me, I failed the band. This is a tool and, like all tools, must be used correctly if it is to work.

So question, what did you all do to kick start the process? Did you go with the 5 day pouch test, get a fill or just start following the rules again? I'm thinking about a fill since I can eat a large quantity, but may want to go to liquids for a couple of days to relax the stretched pouch because things do get stuck. Suggestions?

Thanks for starting this one. I don't hate the band, I hate the way I have used it. Or more correctly, have failed to keep up with what I know. I stopped getting regular fills, eat the wrong foods and don't limit meal time to 15 minutes. I was exercising until I tore a tendon in my ankle. But that has been healed for over 6 months. Finally, when a friend was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and wanted an exercise partner, I have started that back up. Now it is time to get the food choices under control. Like the thread and so many of you have said, the band didn't fail me, I failed the band. This is a tool and, like all tools, must be used correctly if it is to work.

So question, what did you all do to kick start the process? Did you go with the 5 day pouch test, get a fill or just start following the rules again? I'm thinking about a fill since I can eat a large quantity, but may want to go to liquids for a couple of days to relax the stretched pouch because things do get stuck. Suggestions?

I got a fill and just started following the rules again. After my fill, I did 2 days of liqiuds, 1 day of mushies, and 1 day of soft foods. I keep a log of everything I eat, and try not to go over 1400 calories ( I am 5ft 6in and weigh 192 lbs) . I exercise for at least 30 mins a day, 5 days a week, and I drink 64 oz of Water. I have lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks. Not a whole lot, but I am estatic. We fall down, and we get back up and try again. This is what life is about. None of us are perfect and have all the answers. All we can do is keep trying, and ask for help when we need it, and that includes getting our fills. So let's go. Let's kick butt for the summer. I plan to be down 30 pounds by October when I turn 40. Who is with me? We have each other.

I have done the 5 day pouch test before and it does help- but, the most important thing is going to the fill doctor or surgeon! Everyone who said that this is a tool is correct. Also- I will say that Ihave NEVER kept this much weight off for this long. Ok, so, I had a setback, but I am bouncing back. My real problem is exercise - I hate it - really, really hate it, but I also know that I have to- anyone on here who wants to kick my butt- I am sticking it out for the kicking. I bought a wii fit and have barely used it - I have like 4 programs for exercise and still...AURGH!

I have done the 5 day pouch test before and it does help- but, the most important thing is going to the fill doctor or surgeon! Everyone who said that this is a tool is correct. Also- I will say that Ihave NEVER kept this much weight off for this long. Ok, so, I had a setback, but I am bouncing back. My real problem is exercise - I hate it - really, really hate it, but I also know that I have to- anyone on here who wants to kick my butt- I am sticking it out for the kicking. I bought a wii fit and have barely used it - I have like 4 programs for exercise and still...AURGH!

Can you please tell me what the 5 day pouch test is??

Thanks,

Mona

Can you please tell me what the 5 day pouch test is??

Thanks,

Mona

Basically, it is a 5 day program to see if your pouch is ok or to get yourself back on track.. 2 days of liquids, one day of soft Proteins like tuna or eggs, a day of more firm Proteins like ground meet and then a day of regular Protein. I have no idea if it is endorsed by any doctors. When you search on Google, it is on most of the weight loss surgery forums. Here's website I found elsewhere here. http://www.5daypouchtest.com/plan/theplan.html

Basically, it is a 5 day program to see if your pouch is ok or to get yourself back on track.. 2 days of liquids, one day of soft Proteins like tuna or eggs, a day of more firm Proteins like ground meet and then a day of regular Protein. I have no idea if it is endorsed by any doctors. When you search on Google, it is on most of the weight loss surgery forums. Here's website I found elsewhere here. http://www.5daypouch...an/theplan.html

Thanks for the info,

Im ot sure what my problem really is, I got banded 10/2007, and I have lost like 75 pounds, I would like 25-30 more, but there are days I can eat, then there are days I can't. There are days I can eat something w/out any problems then if I go eat it another day, im running to the bathroom, so not sure if maybe a need a little unfill, or did it slip (i heard that would be painfull, and I have no pain). I ate more healthy b-4 the band, with salads and veggies, I dont eat veggies, and only once in a while I can do a salad, what is really strange I can eat better at lunch than for dinner...

Also I have been living on Tums lately, and never had to b-4!!!

Hi Mona Patty:

I had a slip that was not painful. I don't know when it occurred. I noticed that I could eat more and that my scale was creeping up so I went to get a fill and when he did the barium swallow he saw the slip.

You should probably get checked.

Good luck!

Sue