Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have failed my band - SUPPORT GROUP

Hi Jmcambra,

Glad to do it...it helps ME, too! Thanks for the compliment...now I really GOTTA work this out, cause my fellow banded folk are watching! LOL

Have a wonderful evening - and check in periodically - let me know how you're doing, and I'll do the same. :thumbup:

Well I'm back. I was on the forum about two years ago, back when I was still trying to work with the band and "being good" most the time, but having a hard time with fills and with my patronizing doctor. After he over-filled me and then took half of it out in 3/08, I pretty much just stopped worrying about the band.

I started drinking soda again when I found it didn't bother me. I ate and drank at the same time, constantly. Sometimes I would feel some restriction and PB and other times I could eat four slices of pizza. I lost faith in the band to do its job. And I didn't contact my doctor, whose after-care program consisted of nothing more than a nutritionist referral. I was "done" with him.

Two years later, I am back up to my pre-surgery weight (maybe even 5-10 lbs over). Definitely the heaviest I have ever been. And recently I had been having reflux issues, and other weird sensations. I wasn't sure what was going on, but I started to worry about pouch dilation and slippage issues.

I decided it was time to find a new doctor. I knew the search might be difficult because I had always been told, "once one dr touches you no other one will want to because of liability issues." Now I realize how naive it was to believe this. A LAP-BAND® is supposed to last a lifetime, and surgeons retire and such; certainly someone else will pick me up.

I searched around and found a dr in this area who advertises on his website that he performs revision surgery. Figuring that he's not advertising that he simply fixes his OWN mistakes (lol) I emailed the office staff. They were very friendly and welcomed me to come in and get a fluro to find out what is going on. However they asked me to get as much medical information as I could from my old doctor before I came. Ugh. I was hoping never to have to talk to him or his office staff again.

So I sucked it up and called his office number. Disconnected. Hmm. Did an internet search. Looks like he packed up shop and moved to California. Interesting. Couldn't find an accurate office number for him. Called the surgery center he is associated with in CA and they gave me his sister's number (they work together). Called her and left a message, and didn't hear jack crap back from her. Wow. Finally I called the surgery center where I had my surgery done here in Texas and they offered to send me what records they had, but it doesn't sound promising that I will ever get my complete medical record (with history of fills) from my former dr.

Yesterday I went to my appointment with my new dr and saw his assistant. She did the fluro and agreed that I was having reflux issues. She said my esophagus was on the verge of dilation. She informed me that soda is bad to drink not only because it makes you feel uncomfortable but also because it can dilate your pouch! Who knew! She said, however, my pouch looks good and band position looks good. She said their office recommends all bandsters get an EGT every two years (think camera down the throat under sedation) to check for erosion since you can have an erosion without any symptoms.

So, she completely unfilled me. She said I only had 1cc in my band. Huh? That's less than my original fill and I had 4 fills. Did the stuff leak out or something? Then we took another fluro picture. Barium went through nice and easy. That was encouraging at least.

But now I'm in wait and see mode. She wants me to start taking Pepcid AC twice a day, thick liquids for a week, then wait a month, and hope the esophagus problem corrects itself. Or else I might end up having to get a removal. :smile2: Probably end up getting that EGT done in a month too. I asked why this happened and she said she couldn't really tell me. (I had been real honest with them about my poor behavior lately by the way.)

I can't help thinking it's because I've been eating too much for the past two years. I guess it's guilt that makes me want to blame myself for whatever went wrong. She didn't say it was my fault, but why wouldn't it be.

So I'm drinking thick liquids and Soups. I had two Protein shakes yesterday and then had horrible gas pains in the evening. There's a lot of air in shakes. I'm trying to figure out what to do about that problem now.

So that's what's been up with me. :party:

Well I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I was banded in November 2006 and initially lost 80 lbs and took me 2 years to do so. Then I met my now fiance and got comfortable and went out to eat a lot and here I am 14 lbs less than I was at surgery and have nobody to blame but myself. I'm glad I found this thread and look forward to talking with others.

I am so glad I found this thread...I'm 7 months out and I feel as though I've been struggling...I don't want to be a failure. I have only lost 35 lbs...I see other people on here that have lost that much in only a few months. I'm totally discouraged ...I know I need to make better choices and exercise. Its so hard to get back into the Bandster mind set.

Good luck to you all :smile:

Hi everyone - It's Tabitha here. I started this thread over 2 years ago, and just when I was much closer to my goal, I quit coming here because life happens. Needless to say, I am back, because I need to recommit.

There is good news, however. The past two years I saw many challenges with regards to my weight. I actually went back up to 274lbs. The good news is that today, I sit at 244lbs. Only 10lbs heavier than where I was at my lowest, when I last posted here, and also 55lbs lighter than my surgery weight. Given that, I have to admit that while a part of me still feels like a failure, I am happy that I have been able to somewhat maintain or control. Every year since starting this thread, I have become a year older weighing less than I did the year before. I take pride in that.

But there is still a lot of work to do. I need to get to my elusive goal. I figure that even if I lose 20lbs while on here, then it will be 10 lbs lower than i remember being a long time ago, and if i can maintain that for another 2 years, I would be so proud.

so here I am ladies & gents - Back on track.

What I will do differently is this:

a) I hope to make a close accountability partner on here, who ultimately can exchange phone #'s with. I hope that when I stop appearing on here, which is the #1 sign I am slipping, they can call me and have me come back and post. This accountability will help me stay on track. I will do the same for them. I know it will take a few months of messages and slowly building trust, but like alcoholics, I hope i can get a lapband sponsor/accountability partner.

:smile: This time, I will work out. I have worked out 5 days int he past 7 days. I have found out that waking up in the AM makes it doable. I always have excuses in the PM.

c) I will make short term goals.

My goal for the next one week is to work out 4 days.

Will you do this with me? Can we do it?? I say that WE CAN and WE WILL~!

Let's be each other's accountability partners.

I look forward to breaking barriers with you and achieving out ultimate goals, together.

Here's to success!!!

Edited by Tabithan

Hi Tabithan!! Since you posted your latest post here I have gone back to page 1 and have been reading everything that you posted. I have been reading via my Blackberry which I cannot post from so I decided to jump online and say hello. 10/1 was my 1 year bandiversary. I have lost 62 lbs. YAY:thumbup: but, I haven't lost anything in over a month and I am noticing bad habits coming back and eating around the band by drinking with my meals etc. I will admit that I have not exercised at all since being banded. I have taken maybe 4 20 minute walks thinking I was finally going to get going and nada. A lot of people on here have talked about the 5 day pouch test but when I visited the web site it looked like you had to buy something and I havent wanted to by anything. LOL!! Is it basically just liquid/post op plan that my dr. gave me? Also, until the past week I haven't counted Protein grams or calories at all. I still don't count my protein, but I have been hit and miss with the calorie counting for the past few weeks. I would LOVE to be your new Buddy and help push you back down the scale and I would love to have your support too. How have you been this last week?

Hang in there it takes time! Try try try.pray pray pray.one day at a time.obesity weight isssues is a life time of struggles.the emotinal scares and self images are deeply embeded.it's a constant struggle for me

Hello Everyone:

All I can say is Thank God for this thread. I can relate to almost all of you. I was banded on October 16, 2009, yes my one year anniversary is coming up. However, I've only lost about 28 lbs. I am struggling as well with the emotional issues of eating and not exercising (because I hate it). Things haven't been great in my life and I eat as a result. Although I have cut down to about 1200 to 1300 calories per day, I am still not losing. I am 5'1" and 185 lbs.

I hope we can all be of help to each other.

All the best,

Renee

Hello Everyone:

All I can say is Thank God for this thread. I can relate to almost all of you. I was banded on October 16, 2009, yes my one year anniversary is coming up. However, I've only lost about 28 lbs. I am struggling as well with the emotional issues of eating and not exercising (because I hate it). Things haven't been great in my life and I eat as a result. Although I have cut down to about 1200 to 1300 calories per day, I am still not losing. I am 5'1" and 185 lbs.

I hope we can all be of help to each other.

All the best,

Renee

Hi Renee,

It looks like you and I need to get our butts in gear:tt2: I commit right now to walk for 20 minutes a day 4 days out of the next week. I will post my success with this goal next Friday. What do you commit too?

Hello everyone xxx

I am really glad to have found this thread, I am currently trying to get back into control of things and be more responsible with my band.

I have done so many things the wrong way and hoped for the best or felt doomed to stay half way and this week , I found this site and now this thread too!

It's so wonderful to not feel isolated and ashamed that I have let myself down.

I hope I can get to know all of you and help you as well with anything I can x

Hugs from the UK x

Been Looking at all of the comments on this support group. I am stubburn so I kept trying to find excuses why i did not need this. I do need this support becasue I, like many of you have gone thru too much not to succeed. I am so looking forward to talking it out with all of you.

I started this morning with a honey bun.. I know :) that was the last one. I am ready to continue even after my little road block

starting now.. I will succeed

I too have failed! Good for u for trying to change it now~! I am trying, but almost as soon as something goes in my mouth - I get rid of it! The only things I keep in are drinks and some soups... But I too have a dialated esophagus! I'm kinda just ridin it out now...

I too have failed! Good for u for trying to change it now~! I am trying, but almost as soon as something goes in my mouth - I get rid of it! The only things I keep in are drinks and some soups... But I too have a dialated esophagus! I'm kinda just ridin it out now...

I have a plan,first I have to call my dr. and ask if he will adjust my band 1 c. that will take me to 8. I feel like I have no restrictions at all.

I will commit to walking 30min a day for 3 days out of the week. Starting today. tue oct 18 2010. Tues/Thur/Fri. I will write down everything that I eat. and check back with you all next week with the results of my first mini goal.

We can do this! we will find other ways to handle the stressors in ourlives.

I am trying to get back on track. I have yet to start couting calories. I am at the gym I am making a conscience descision to eat right. I need help and support I refuse to fail. I will not fail.... i started out at 337 mae it to 247 back up at 263 i really want to make it to the 100lbs mark..I CAN DO IT

I am glad to find others that are looking to recommit and get back to losing. I was banded in June of 2008 and lost 50 pounds and had another 40-50 pounds to go. I hit a major plateau. I was eating right but my weight wasn't budging. My doctor teased me about having maintenance down pat but I arrived there a little too soon.I kept at it but wasn't losing and like the past I gave up and went back to the attitude "Why bother it isn't going to work for you." I ended up gaining back 15 pounds. I was terrified of hitting 200 again and that was enough to get me started eating right again. I shutter to think of how bad the last year could have been without the band. I do have restriction, but I chose to eat around it. I gave up the Bagels, chips, ice cream and candy that my husband continually brings into the house.I have asked him not to eat those things in front of me and to hide them. Out of sight out of mind! I knew I needed to get off carbs to get rid of the cravings and be able to get back on track. I started on October 12. The first few days were miserable with headaches and irritability but now I feel calmer, the bloating is gone and so is the first 5 pounds of the 15 pounds that I had gained. I am working to get my Water intake up and to work out again on a consistent basis.

I also found out that when I switched to a new GYN and a new pharmacy the end of 2008, my HRT RX was reduced by half the dosage. I had a total hysterectomy. It was a different formulation so I didn't realize it. I started back on a new dosage three weeks ago. My GYn doc told me my numbers had crashed and they thought it was from the different formulation(cream instead of gel) and wanted me to switch back to old pharmacy and go back to gel that is when I discovered the gel I had in the past was dispensed at 60 ml per month and new cream was same dosage but 30 ml per month. They told me it would have made weight loss even more difficult for me.

So here we go again with renewed hope that I will finally get rid of the last 50-60 pounds.