Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 month bandster struggling

Hi All, I haven't posted before as I hadn't realised this forum was here and was posting on the main one. However support from UK folks would be great when it comes to discussing food and Vitamins etc.

I had my band in on August 18th this year and did really well to begin with. I lost a stone and four pounds in the first five weeks and now have a minimum of two stones more to lose. I had no restriction at all after five weeks and got my first fill of 3.5cc at 6 weeks, I still had no restriction and had lost no more weight so went for my second fill of 2cc 3 weeks ago(total 5cc in a 9cc band) where I had only lost 2 pounds more.

I have restriction now but am really struggling to eat anything that I would consider normal food, i.e not sloppy or liquid.< /p>

I get stuck most times I eat solid food and am feeling quite frustrated. I don't know if I need to sort my head out or my band out? I think I have some really bad food behaviours that got me to the size I am now and I know I rush at food and eat to much at once but I'm almost getting to the point of thinking I can't be bothered to eat anything solid as its too much trouble and am finding that junk goes down much easier. I am of course not eating anything like the quantities of food I used to eat what ever it is I'm eating but I don't want to keep or further develop my bad eating habits.

I never expected it to be easy but I don't relish the thought of having to vomit stuck food back up every day and I'm feeling really fed up. My hairs falling out too and that certainly isn't helping.

Any advice from you experienced bandsters would be really helpful, sorry to make my first post here a moany one.....I promise they'll get better :smile2:

Hi there :)

What are u eating at the moment can u give us a run down of your typical day menu ?

Sounds like u could be too tight , not chewing enough or bad food choices .

I at the moment was how you was , no restriction and waiting my first fill , everything I do now is on pure will power , its very hard but Im damn sure Im not gaining the weight ive lost (we have worked to hard for that)

Although my band still does its job and curbes my hunger , I had a bad few days where I grazed last week .

So this week Ive have got back on track and Im following the hospitals diet sheets .

Were u given any ?

S x:thumbup:

Hi, I've been trying lots of differrent foods to see if any are better and unfortunately I don't have a very regular pattern of eating due to work which is very pressured at times and often means I don't get lunch. I called the nutritionist on Monday and she suggested that if I'm not eating during the day my band may become tighter so even if I only manage to get some Soup which she wouldn't normally recommend, it will help me to eat later on. I wasn't eating Breakfast but having a very milky coffee and then coming in from work hungry and trying to eat whatever was available (usually not a good choice of food either).

The nutritionist suggested I take something like crispbreads with some Protein like wafer thin ham to work as that won't be as likely to get stuck and will at least ensure I get something in during the day. She also suggested Cereal in the morning as a minimum which I have been managing. I went to the shops and picked up these few bits for myself and seem to have done better since. In fact strangely I have actually had hunger pangs again today between meals and the band seems to have losened up as I have been able to eat more with nothing getting stuck. I did have a bit of a stomach bug at the weekend and was also really struggling with time and pressure last week at work (being away and having to eat at hotels is not helpful) but thats also slackened off this week so I don't know if the two are related but I have read that stress can tighten the band up. I'm sure a stomach bug wouldn't help particularly if there was some irritation to my stomach.

I did get a few menu ideas but nothing particularly inspiring and as I'm dairy intolerant many weren't any good for me.

You are dead right too, I'm not putting any weight back on and I think you can get past these phases but when you are right in it it's hard to know what to do.

3 months in and I feel like this is the time when I am learning the most really.

Thanks for the reply and good luck to you with your weight loss, you sound like you are getting back on track yourself.

Rx

:)

I'm sure you may have settled a bit with your band now, well I do hope so.

I have been banded for two years now and there are still times when I get things wrong with the usual consequences.

It is so much harder in the 1st year as you are learning to live with your band, but it does get better.

I shall say now that there could be times when you hit a plateau and you think your never going to get over it. You will! I had one for about 5 months and then suddenly woosh it all seemed to disappear in a matter of weeks and people really started to notice that I had lost weight, I had virtual strangers, who I didn't even know coming up to me and telling me I looked fab! (that was really bizarre). Only took 1 year and 6 months lol.

So just remember through the tough times, you will reach your goal, it's not a race, just a slow, gentle stroll to permanent and healthy weightloss.

xxxxxxx

Hi Liberty, thanks for your reply, its funny isn't it but I've been on a few ups and downs since that post. I finally got moving on the weightloss after the band slackened up really quickly and I ended up with another two fills. I have just lost another 6 pounds after my last fill three weeks ago and feel that i got really close my sweet spot with this fill. It seems to have slackened again now but I won't be looking for another fill until at least 3 weeks after xmas, the last week the loss has slowed down but I'm OK to wait for a while, as long as I'm not going up in weight I'm quite happy.

I found it odd when I was getting things stuck but was still feeling hungry but I think I've figured out it was just bad habits....eating too quickly and making bad choices.

You do get to know your band though, I can feel that it's slackening off now and can guarantee I will need a fill in a few weeks but I think you are right.....taking it steady is no bad thing.

You must be really pleased with your weightloss, you've done brilliantly. I have another 26 pounds to go to be in the right weight BMI category and so to say I have lost two stones in 4 months is good going when I have less than 2 left to lose.

Well done to you, I bet it feels great to be there doesn't it! :ohmy:

Edited by weightinggame

banded in oct and only lost 10lbs im not sure if i have made the right choice in spending all this money I am not very active due to suffering with oesteoarthritis and 3 other muscle and joint problems although i try and keep myself active as much as i can. I am not that good in which foods i eat but do not over eat, i am only having 2 meals a day and feel bloated I am late having my 1st fill due to weather can anyone give me some advice may help me feel more positive.

banded in oct and only lost 10lbs im not sure if i have made the right choice in spending all this money I am not very active due to suffering with oesteoarthritis and 3 other muscle and joint problems although i try and keep myself active as much as i can. I am not that good in which foods i eat but do not over eat, i am only having 2 meals a day and feel bloated I am late having my 1st fill due to weather can anyone give me some advice may help me feel more positive.

I was banded 15/10/10 and got my first fill on 3rd Dec. I have lost about 15lb post op and about 32 in all. After my first fill I was tight and could only eat about half as much per meal but that has settled now and I feel little restriction. The band has really helped me with portion size and physical hunger....still have to fight head hunger tho. I have arthritis too especially in my knees and the weight loss has really helped so hope u will feel the benefits as ur weight goes down. I think the next fill will really help, from what I have read in these forums this period between banding and fills can be very difficult. Are you eating enough, my doc advises 3 small meals and 2 Snacks, out of curiosity where were u banded?

I was banded 15/10/10 and got my first fill on 3rd Dec. I have lost about 15lb post op and about 32 in all. After my first fill I was tight and could only eat about half as much per meal but that has settled now and I feel little restriction. The band has really helped me with portion size and physical hunger....still have to fight head hunger tho. I have arthritis too especially in my knees and the weight loss has really helped so hope u will feel the benefits as ur weight goes down. I think the next fill will really help, from what I have read in these forums this period between banding and fills can be very difficult. Are you eating enough, my doc advises 3 small meals and 2 Snacks, out of curiosity where were u banded?

thank you for replying gives me some hope. Having my first fil today so fingers crossed. I am sure that I A am sure that I am eating enough because im not hungry. I was banded in belgium Dr chris beruyne. Please keep in touch with your progress wishing you all the best. x

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR X X X X

thank you for replying gives me some hope. Having my first fil today so fingers crossed. I am sure that I A am sure that I am eating enough because im not hungry. I was banded in belgium Dr chris beruyne. Please keep in touch with your progress wishing you all the best. x

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR X X X X

Got 2nd fill on 27th jan & hoping for some restriction because 1st fill had none. fingers crossed

2/2/11 UP-DATE

Had 2nd fill on 27th JAN, much more restriction only able to eat liquids and mushy food but still having hunger pangs. Any suggestions on foods to eat, and will the band ease as time goes on ?

exercise limited due to disablility can't wait for the warmer weather which makes life so much better for me.

Any advice would be grateful x x x x