Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OT: Need medical opinion re:testosterone?

Okay Nurses and other medical types...this is about my Dad.

He's 66 years old, 6' tall, and weights around 270lbs. He's been really trying to watch his diet and lose some weight but is very discouraged because he seems stuck. But 6 months of watching his food hasn't resulted in much happening. He is NOT banded. He's fairly sedentary, as you can imagine, and uses a CPAP for sleep apnea. He also works odd hours. He's self-employed, is an amateur astronomer, and can't take the heat/humidity outside so he does alot of staying up all night working and star-gazing, then sleeping in the daytime. He's single. (!) He takes meds for high cholesterol, high blood pressure and a diuretic. He's a smoker.

So he goes to the doc for his check-up and all is well. His blood pressure is good, cholesterol 167, heart is in good shape for his age/condition. Lipid profile was normal. All other CBC numbers in the normal range. His fasting blood sugar was 110.

So the nurse calls him on a Saturday to let him know his testosterone level was 1.2, which is very low. He askes if this is a bad thing, and she lets him know that his sex drive is probably not good. It's not. Dad commented that he's not married and isn't concerned with that issue right now and at his age.

So, Dad's question is: would taking the testosterone injections help him with his energy level and, therefore, motivation to get up and do things? Will it help him with his metabolism so he can diet, maybe even have the energy to exercise a bit (translate to "walk the block" not "join the gym"), get some weight off and feel better? He just doesn't feel good. Ever. Although the CPAP machine has made a world of difference over the past 6 months. What other benefits/risks would he have if he decided to take the testosterone injections?

He asked me if I knew any nurses...Hellooooo!...so I thought I'd post his personal life here. hehe! Any advice/suggestions/feedback/opinions??

Thanks everyone.

Here are some things he is most likely already experiencing with the low level of Testosterone.

Symptoms of Low Levels of Testosterone:

• Decreased mental sharpness
  • Decreased energy and strength
  • Decreased muscle and increased fat
  • Decreased sex drive
  • Decreased sensitivity to stimulation
  • Decreased strength of orgasm
  • Decreased erectile function
  • Depression and/or loss of eagerness and enthusiasm
  • Irritability (20-25% of men – heard of “grumpy old men”)
  • Increased risk of cancer (low testosterone levels increase risk)

Here is something I found that was interesting.

Effects of Testosterone Therapy

• SEXUAL POWER Increased sexual potency and frequency.
  • CHOLESTEROL Lowers cholesterol levels.
  • ENERGY Increased energy, stamina and endurance.
  • MEMORY Improved mental functioning and ability.
  • MOOD Improves mood and feeling of well-being.
  • HEART Protects against heart disease.
  • CONCENTRATION Improved concentration and focus.
  • MUSCLE Increased muscle strength and mass.

This site is very useful. IT explains the Testosterone therapy in depth.

Testosterone Info

I'm not a nurse - or medical person - I'm a CPA! But my husband found out his testosterone level was low and has been taking shots for about six months. I encouraged him to get the first one but now I never have to remind him. He can really tell a big difference in his energy level and he enjoys his work a lot more too. The doctor said he could take a pill instead but he sees really quick results from the shots. My husband's 52 ... not as old as your dad ... but maybe this will encourage your dad to give it a try!

Thanks Laura! I called my dad with the list that Penni posted above and I knew he would be floored. He has been complaining about his memory, lack of motivation, scattered thoughts, low energy, etc for a good while now. Now it all makes sense and he was eager for me to e-mail him the info Penni posted. I'll let him know about your hubby, too. You said something good..."give it a try" I'll mention that if he doesn't like the results, he can simply stop the shots. My bet is he will love the results. I am also encouraged that he can take the pill form. At his age, a steady daily dose may be more in line with the results he's wanting. As MY hubby put it, otherwise, my Dad will be "all dressed up with nowhere to go" :) I liked how he put that!!! HA!

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!!!

My DH is 23 years older than me. He has been taking testosterone in the form of a gel for about 6 years. Works amazingly well. If I forget to reorder his meds in time, he can really tell what's missing--all the things Penni listed.

All or most men have low testosterone in their later years (at least that is what our doc told us), and if they wanna try this, why the heck not!

:)

Kimber-lilly, how do you take the gel? I'm imagining having to rub a gel onto...something?...you get my drift (!) but I'm sure that's not it. Keep my imagination from running wild! What do you do with the gel?

BTW, Dad's calling his Doc Monday. It all adds up for him now and I think this will really help. Ya'll keep posting your advice, etc and I'll pass it along to him. He'll appreciate the encouragement that this is the right thing for him. Thanks!!

Good Morning--

The testosterone is a clear gel that comes in single dose packets. It should be applied to the upper arms--as this is an area that is least likely to come in contact with me or our small son. He must thoroughly wash his hands after application, lest I grow a Magnum PI type mustache! ha ha

:)

Went thru this thing year ago and lsot my first wife toa 19 year old kid younger than my son.

I started shot later AndroGel and develoeped a whole new life

New energy betetr job became a Millionare, did a lot of funs tuff

I am 64 in August

I was banded last thurday and doign fine on semi solid food and walkign 1/2 mile every day.

Doc said no sex for 2 weeks so I stopped taking Andro-jel. I am not the least bit horny but my partner sure is. A Week from today we can play again, and I will start taking the Andro Gel tomorrow. I didnt miss it, and didnt dwell onit liek I do when I am takign my RX.

I knowa lot of old men my age that loaf around and feel sorry for themselves.

Until I moved to LA in 2003, l lived in Northern Virginia outside DC and dated 4 different ladies, nothing serious, dates & sex and dinners etc.

They didn't like it, man sharing, but they were free to leave at any time. They all cried when I left.

I was 62 then.

OK Ladies-we are pretty steady at 3 nights a week.........sometimes when we travel and I drive 12 hours on a trip, we skip a night or two.

She was a widow and got way "behind "as her hubby was impotent for 5 years before his death 3 years ago. He would not even try Viagira

So we act like Newlyweds....thanks to an active life, archery, hunting, travel and Viragra at times, & Andro Gel.

Pardon my bluntness but Testrone was on TV recently and couples that had a dead sex life were renewed by the RX. Viagira does notign for sex drive it only helps blood flow. Andro Jel does wonder for sex drive

Cheers

SANTA

Thanks Mr Tink! Your first wife left you for a 19yo kid?!!! No way!!

My dad's coming over for dinner tomorrow night, so I''ll read him these posts! He's aware that shots will cause this increase in sex drive. He's single, not dating, and not particularly interested in dating, let alone re-marrying. So that sex drive is not what he's after with the shots (or whatever he ends up taking). But making a million and traveling and doing things that make him happy are!

Thanks for the male perspective. When I find out if he called his doc this week I'll let you all know what they decided.

Thanks!

Dad update. He finally got the insurance confusion figgured out. His Medicare/Partners pays for it, so it will cost him his co-pay each month for the shots and he gets his first one next week!! Yippeee! He is SO ready for the good side-effects. What has been interesting is to hear people's reactions when they find out just how low his testosterone level is. Apparently, it's very very low. I'm supposing it will take a few months to get his levels high enough and his ascent to more energy, motivation, clarity, memory, and better mood will be a bit slower than, say, Mr. Tinks but he'll get there. Thanks everyone. Dear ole Dad is on the mend!

I had to reply to this post. Loved everyone's input. My fill doc is putting me on hormones. I had a hyterectomy five years ago, i was only 33. All the scare about the synthetic hormones came out, so i just quit taking them. My fill doc told me this summer that testosterone is very important for women too!!! Number one it helps with the way our body holds on to the fat on our bodies. So i started last week on naturally compounded hormones. I am unsure it has made a diff yet!!!! Just thaught everyone might find that informative.

shagamelic