Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new here - but have been banded four years

My before and after pictures are in the thread: http://lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?p=89392#post89392

Hi! I am new to the board so here is a little about me...

I was banded July 4, 2001 in Sweden by Dr Lundegardh. I weighed approx. 250 pounds and got to my goal weight of 125 pounds, a size four. I have a website at www.myagb.homestead.com that has been up since before I had my surgery.

The first six months after I was banded I didn't lose a pound. In fact, I gained back all 17 pounds I'd lost during the liquid and mush food phase. However, once I started getting the restriction I needed the pounds slowly started to fall off. In all it took nearly three years for me to get to my goal weight. The last 10 pounds coming off the slowest.

I honestly did not expect to do so well. I would have settled for a size 10. But I'm even happier being a size four!

People always ask me if I do a lot of exercise. I don't do any. I HATE exercising. However, I do make a point of moving around as much as possible. I do love to walk (but not if I'm forced to for weight loss!) so when its nice out I take advantage of the weather by walking my dogs. I don't use the closest parking spots at the grocery store and I try to use the steps versus the elevator. Those little things add up and I think they help a lot.

I also always substitute low fat foods when possible. I use "Light Done Right" ranch dressing, I always use fat free or 2% cheese and light mayo with 99% fat free ham. Unless I'm really stressed out I try to stay away from a lot of chocolate. I don't eat greasy fast food often but I do get healthier foods like chicken with no skin - I practically live on El Pollo Loco chicken. I drown myself in light healthy smoothies which taste like dessert and are good for me too! Jamba Juice's Enlightening smoothies (get the smallest size) are the best!

I was able to make those healthier food choices since the band made it so that I don't feel hungry or unsatisfied after every meal. I find it much easier to control what I put in my mouth. Its amazing the difference it made to have the "control" put back in my hands instead of my hunger controlling me. Its one of the best feelings in the world.

The reason I am back in the "cyber space" band circuit is because my band has slipped and I am getting a revision August 4th with Dr Ortiz in Mexico. Having a group of like minded individuals to communicate with is a nice when dealing with something like surgery. I've gained back a few pounds since they took out some of my fill. I'm not the least bit worried about it though because I know when I have the band put back in place I'll be fine - AND it'll get rid of the acid refulx I've been suffering from (yippee!).

My only concern is whether I'll have enough fill in my band before I take off for a long trip and with a six month stint in South Africa following it. I just don't think they have a lot of fill doctors in South Africa. :)

Last few details - I'm 26 years old and I'm 5'4"

Its nice meeting you all!

Mae

It is great meeting you, and wonderful having someone aboard that "knows" the band... you have done such a wonderful job on your weight loss... I remember seeing your page while reserching the lapband... and it is wonderful to actually talk to you. I have so so so much to lose but you have givin me inspriation. So tell us more about this Revison? so you know why it slipped? and do they usally give a revision on this sort of thing? maybe because you had the band that long, or just over all....

Well you look great and I wish the best to you

Take Care

I recognize your picture.....was your picture on a Dr's website? I remember your picture from my pre-surgery search on the net. I may have just managed to stumble across your website but I DEFINITELY remember your picture!!!

GREAT success you've had. Sorry to hear your band slipped. Do your doctors know why it slipped? Or just one of those things???

Mae,

Wow!!! You have done really great with your band! I was just banded on Monday and stories like yours give me hope that I can also be successful in this journey.

I hope your revision for the slipped band goes well. My understanding is that the percent of slipped bands has dropped dramatically since your original band procedure - so hopefully this will be the last revision you'll need!

Best Wishes!

hi

Dont underestemate South Africa.There is more band dr's now than we realize.I am from the capital Pretoria and depending on where you are going (big city versus small town..)there will definetely be fill dr's,dont worry about that.

A lot more weightloss surgery there than before.Even an operation where they just do the lower limb malnutrition switch of the RNY and people lose a lot of weight and keep it off.(I was still to scared for that...)

Good luck with having your band replaced.Relax and dont worry.SA as far as being banded's concerned will be a breeze.

Mae, how did you know your band slipped? Did you have any indication that something was wrong?

Congratulations on your great success. You look fabulous!

WOW!!!! I never thought it was possible to hit a size 4 (I am about a size 24/26 when I stated). It is great to meet you. I am only a month into my journey....while I am happy with my results, seeing is beleiving. I hope to one day have a story to share like yours. Good luck with your upcoming surgrey. Keep us posted on how things are going....

What an inspiration to us all !!!! Thank you for sharing your story !!

You look beautiful and should be so proud of yourself.

Did you need plastic surgery after the weight loss? I am finding that my skin is not falling back into place.........

How much will it cost to have your band fixed in Mexico. In the event that I ever need to do that sort of thing. I was private pay - and I had to sell my car to get the surgery. I had the cutest brand new car, I loved it. I have three teenage girls. Now I have this old, loud dumpy car - it's one of the hardest things. How much does a revision cost?

I enjoyed your story, may I ask a question. How did you know your band slipped? Does this happen when 4 years out?

Welcome Aboard MAE!!

WOW A real goal obtainer!!! Not to mention a true veterian!! So glad to hear of your success'. I too am curious as to your kowing about the slippage. Please tell us more details & let us know when you are schedualed for your revision so we can follow your progress. So glad to have you here with all of us. Your perspective will be much appreciated & hopefully our support will help you along your journey.

Hi Mae, and W E L C O M E to LBT! So glad you are with us.

WOW! a 4 year bandster? Thats awesome news!

You are such an inspiration to us... hope you post often!

So tell us more about this Revison? so you know why it slipped? and do they usally give a revision on this sort of thing?

Hi Trish,

I was severly ill for severaly weeks with a huge lung abcess that made me cough violently to the point of vomitting. This happened non-stopped for a long time and the constant stress on my stomach is what I believe caused the band to slip.

I have known a couple others who have had revisions also for slipped bands or bands that have become disconnected from the port. As with anything its not perfect. A revision is the only way to fix the placement of the band. Aside from maintaining my weight loss the slipped band is also causing acid reflux at night which is not nice.

Mae