Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm new here - but have been banded four years

I recognize your picture.....was your picture on a Dr's website? I remember your picture from my pre-surgery search on the net.

For a couple of years my website was in the top three site if you did a search on bands - so you most likely recognize me from my site. I was also on the cover of a medical magazine that did a highlight on bands. So if you're in the medical field it may be from that.

Mae

Dont underestemate South Africa.There is more band dr's now than we realize.I am from the capital Pretoria and depending on where you are going (big city versus small town..)there will definetely be fill dr's,dont worry about that.

I will be in Knysna and possibly Johannesburg for part of my time there. Are you able to give me the name of a doctor who does fills in South Africa? I doubt I will be able to get all my fills here before I leave for South Africa.

Thank you for letting me know they have band doctors there!

Mae

Mae I just wanted to say seeing your before and after pictures gives me hope. You are such a great success and you are an inspiration to all bandsters. Thank you and good luck on your upcoming surgery . I know you will be fine. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Mae, how did you know your band slipped? Did you have any indication that something was wrong?

I started having less restriction and able to eat much more. I knew there was trouble when I could eat an entire donut for breakfast! Plus I started getting terrible acid reflux at night. This was because I was actually over filled at the time but didn't know I was overfilled since I was still able to eat - by that point part of my stomach had come above the band and since I could eat more I just assumed I needed another fill and another fill. My doctor did not use flouroscopy so we did not know there was something wrong.

Did you need plastic surgery after the weight loss? I am finding that my skin is not falling back into place.........

I was hoping that because of my young age I wouldn't need plastic surgery. But it really has nothing to do with age and everything to do with your skin. My skin has not tightened up at all like I wanted it to. I am planning to get pastic surgery when I can afford it to correct the sagging.

Mae

How much will it cost to have your band fixed in Mexico. How much does a revision cost?

A revision in Mexico cost around $10,000 unless Dr Ortiz did the original surgery in which case he only charges $3500 to cover the hospital fee. I had to take out a four year loan to pay for my original band (which was approx $13,000). But it was worth every penny. Even though it slipped I don't regret it the least bit.

Mae

Does this happen when 4 years out?

Every year that goes by they learn more and more about the band. Less bands are slipping now then 8 years ago and four years from now less bands will be slipping then are slipping now - this is of course if you get a band from a well educated band doctor. Only a percentage of bands actually slip - not all bands.

Mae

Thank you to all of you for your wonderful welcome! It's so nice to have an online support group. It can make such a difference in the long run. I know I absorbed all the information I could get my hands on when I was first banded, so I am delighted to be able to share what I have learned with others.

Blessings to all!

Mae

Thanks so much for posting here, Mae. It's so nice to meet someone who has been banded for so long & lost weight successfully. I'm so sorry your band slipped & wish you the best of luck w/your revision. Please keep us "posted" on how you are doing.

Mae,

I found your website a few months ago when I started researching the band. You have a very nice site. Thanks for sharing your success with others.

Best wishes on your upcoming surgery.

Hi Mae,

I too, found your website when doing my initial research online. It was stories like yours that helped me make the decision to finally do something, so I thank you.

Good luck with your revision, as well as your trip to SA :)

Guest nicky80

hi, Mae, I am a new bandster and thrilled at your amazing story too! I would like to know what do you usually eat after you got the restriction?

Hi there - my band also slipped. What kind of band do you have? I had a French Midband; I now have a 9.75cm Lap-band.

Did you PB with your band ... or did your slippage happen absent any PB-ing? I PB'd more often than I should have w/my French band; I think that is what caused my slippage but I'm not sure. I have not PB'd yet with my lap-band, but I only just got restriction a couple of days ago. I'm trying very, very hard to avoid PBing this time around.

-Yvonne

Do you think if you would have exercised you would have lost wieght better and may be not had all of that sagging skin. I have friends who have been very big; but don't have a lot of sagging skin; I'm amazed they don't, but they do exercise a lot?

I believe that the degree of elasticity your skin has is not really related to exercise. You just need to give it time to see if it still has enough elasticity to bounce back ... and if you build your muscles, it won't have to bounce back quite as much as it would otherwise.

I think the skin elasticity is more related to the following factors: age, number of times you have lost/gained weight, the degree to which you have been overweight, and amount of time that you have been overweight.

-Yvonne