Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

The slightest foul smell and I vomit, I have always been that way. Sooo, I ate a scrambled egg, 10 minutes later and I am making salmon cakes for my family's dinner - I have always gagged when making them....but I was to the point I was dry heaving very hard. I was thinking, Oh great, I am going to throw up my egg. Well...nothing came out. I was wretching very very hard and nothing. I was not in pain and I tried to gain control of myself...but ever since my stomach has been making the weirdest creepiest sounds. Have I done something to the band? Is throwing up different with the band?

Hi everyone,

The slightest foul smell and I vomit, I have always been that way. Sooo, I ate a scrambled egg, 10 minutes later and I am making salmon cakes for my family's dinner - I have always gagged when making them....but I was to the point I was dry heaving very hard. I was thinking, Oh great, I am going to throw up my egg. Well...nothing came out. I was wretching very very hard and nothing. I was not in pain and I tried to gain control of myself...but ever since my stomach has been making the weirdest creepiest sounds. Have I done something to the band? Is throwing up different with the band?

This can be a good and bad thing. I've felt "nauseous" and having that feeling that I need to throw up, then nothing will come, just dry heaving. With the lapband you can't physically vomit because your band won't allow anything to come back up through it that has already made it in the lower part of the stomach. It's a terrible feeling but for me, the dry heaves only last a couple of minutes and the feeling is then gone. Hope this helps.

Our bands have been stitched in place all around it's perimeter so the likelyhood of your band slipping is pretty low. When I first got banded,I had an allergic reaction to my pain med and I dry heaved for two days straight. My band was still fine. Because we are eating smaller amounts of food, our bodies are making our smelling senses sharper so we will eat more food. This is probably why you are more sensitive to smell right now. I had the same problem. It gets better as time goes by, I promise.

here is a trick to try. when I was a nursing assistant they told us that if you are feeling like throwing up place a cool damp cloth on the back of your neck and breath through your nose. the cool cloth helps calm the nerve endings and when you breath through your nose you can't throw up. I have tried this with my kids and it does seem to help a lot. however it you have something stuck or eat way to much these won't help.