Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Home and hurting!

Well, I'm home from my banding session........but boy, am I hurting! Did anyone else experience deep belly pain? At least that is what I think it is. No gas that I'm aware of...just intense belly pain. The doctors said I was healing fine, and that is day 2 after all....and i guess I am a big weenie! What were your pain experinces? When did things start to feel better? I did morphine at the hospital all night,,,,,,,,,,and now am on Percocet, 2 pills ever 4 hours. And I'm counting the minutes now until my next dose. I am really feeling pain! Please write and tell about your experience!

AmyK

Guest LOSINANDHAPPY

I am one of the lucky ones, I was up and shopping the day after the surgery. I'm sure your pain will go away soon.

Yep, pain. For me I was very very sore, I guess that's how I would describe it. Take the pain meds if you need them! All I can promise is that each day is a little bit better. Now, the Sunday after my Friday surgery was probably the worst. The IV pain meds had worn off and I had traveled home. Just rest, walk, sip, and use the heating pad either across your belly or on your upper to middle back. For me, the "deep" pain, or the pain that I felt like was coming from the internal band area itself, showed up in the middle of my back, across the bra strap. The upper left shoulder blade pain was the gas they used to blow me up for surgery, and tummy pain was bowels, gas and all moving around through my digestive system. It takes a little while, but don't worry, you will get through and it will all seem like a dream (a bad one?) in no time!

Oh, are you crushing your Percocet? Wash that stuff through as best you can!!

Welcome to Bandland!! Congrats!

Yes, You will have some discomfort for a little while but you will do great. I am almost two weeks out and I am feeling wonderful now. Up and running after 5 kids!! So rest asure you will get better. Take your pain meds and heal. Hopefully you will be over this soon. Keep in touch!

Angie

Hi Amy,

I was banded in late June and had similar (unexpected) pain too. Like Kathy said, the heat pack can work wonders and crushing your pain tablets will ensure that they go down well and that they are absorbed more quickly. It will pass but focus on the small steps in the meantime, an hour or two at a time so you don't become overwhelmed with it all.

I found that I read lots of books, magazines and did crosswords and puzzles to take my mind off the pain and discomfort.

Remember to congratulate yourself on taking such a brave step!

Kristen

Amy,

You will feel better each and every day. I did not expect the pain to be so bad, but you will get through it !! I never had the gas everyone talks about, but boy oh boy, did I feel as if someone was sticking a knife right into my gut !

By week one you will be up and about. I went to work 8 days later.

Keep the fatith and just know you are in the road to a brand new you !!

Hi everyone-new to this website. Thanks for all the words of encouragement !

For about the first four days I hurt pretty bad and didnt want to do anything. I always thought I had a high pain threshold, but the banding knocked me on my arse lol.

I ws banded the day before you, I didn't get eny morphine in the hospital, I was home in 4 hours. I am still taking pain meds, the port incision is the worst. You will feel better every day. I went to the mall last night and bought my daughter shoes, that was after going to the vet with the dog and the dentist with the other 2 kids, its gets better every day! I am not ready for marathons but I could go for a quick walk around the block.

Reading everyones pain, I am wondering why I had absolutely zero pain, and I have the lowest pain threshold, I did not take pain meds, all my doc gave was liquid tylenol. I was shopping in Tj the next day, maybe it was becasue I got out of bed very soon and walked to halls all day long after my surgery to rid some of the gas or to start it moving around. Sorry you are going through this uncomfortable stage, there is light at the end of the tunnel...hang in there each day is abetter day :)

Congratualtions on your new band! I wish you lots of success

gosh, my pain was very minimal, and I only had liquid tylenol post surgery as well.

good luck to you... and try the walking as often as you can. It does help.

gosh, my pain was very minimal, and I only had liquid tylenol post surgery as well.

good luck to you... and try the walking as often as you can. It does help.

I only had tylenol too, and only once or twice at that. Sorry you are hurting so bad.

Welcome to Bandlandia! Sorry about the pain. I was one of the "shopping the next day" crowd. Not much very pain, but I was very, very tired

Congrats on your new band!!!! I was pretty sore for the first few days and on day 4 I drove for the first time and was like holy cow I didn't realize that you use them ab muscles when you're driving and man were they sore LOL. I did notice that during that first week when I walked that if felt like my insides were bouncing w/every step I took and when I was laying down on my side, it felt like all my innards had fallen over to the side i was laying on. It was an odd feeling indeed. Wishing you a speedy recovery!!

Okay to make you feel better I had a LOT of pain and I was on pain meds for at least six days after surgery. It hurt me bad even thought I was up and walking a ton in the hospital. In fact, walking helped me when it felt like all the incisions felt "tight". Walked and walked and walked and still whimpered in a lot of pain.

Keep taking the pain meds. Stay in front of the pain meaning take meds BEFORE the pain gets to you.

As someone said...each day is better than the last so just hang in there. I took a week and a half off from work and am SO glad I did. When it was time to go back to work I was ready, tho still having some pain.

Just hang in there it will improve. Take GasX, take pain meds, sip warm liquids (they seemed to make me feel better) and rest.

Usually I'm pretty pain tolerant - I take tylenol a couple times a year kinda girl - I'm just not a whiner. And, my expectation was that I would be just peachy out of surgery, I just wouldn't have a problem.

They put me on a PCA, and my gut hurt so bad - After about 12 hours things were better, and they got exponentially better with each day. I'm now about 2 weeks out - and the pain is just faint - almost not there at all. I usually don't feel it unless I twist a certain way (and that's just on occassion).

So - it will get better, walk, drink your liquids, sleep with all your pillows to support you - allow yourself to take naps - get a good movie. It will end. Pretty soon you'll be like me - licking your kids potato chips for just a taste of real food : )