Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

caffeine and lapband

My doctores and nurses say they want me to be free from caffiene before surgery. Why is this? I can't give up my caffeine totally, I will for surgery. But I gotta have my diet mt. dew or dt. pepsi!

Carbonation is a no-no after surgery for most doctors. It causes pain and can stretch your pouch. Best to break the bad habit now.

Caffeine is known to prompt insulin production, which in turn prompts sugar cravings and increasing appetite. That is why they want you to give it up.

It can irritate your stomach, especially immediately after banding. Also, it is a stimulant so it can hinder weight loss for some.

You really HAVE to give up the soda and all things carbonated. It is hard, but we all had to do it. As was explained above, post surgery at the very least drinking it could be very painful worst case it could do damage causing the band to be less effective.

This issue came up recently in our pre-surg skills group. Another reason which was explained when I initially went to the informational seminar is that it can promote gas and reflux issue. Without passing judgment on ourselves, one of thought which I find helpful is: When we make our choice to care for our health sometimes we need to put things in a black and white category. For many with varying "addictions" there are too many gray areas. Such areas allow us to convince ourselves that it is okay too have or do something even when it is not in our best interest. For me a question I ask myself at times is: Is having or doing this really in harmony with what is truly best for my health and the commitment I have made to myself? Figuring out a question or statement which suits your personal circumstances can become your own check and balance.

I think the key is, as many others have mentioned is to follow the advice of your healthcare staff. All the input from the rest of us via our research or medical staff is just a guideline. Ask all the questions you need from your support staff, that is their job. Asking out here is helpful, but sometimes we may just keep asking in hopes of getting the answer we want, not necessarily what is best for us. Hope that helps someone out there! Keep healthy!

Edited by Jazzy4Health
Update

My doc says don't worry about caffeine. It might cause problems, but he hasn't seen it.

Sodas are a no-go for the above mentioned reason of a stretched pouch.

This issue came up recently in our pre-surg skills group. Another reason which was explained when I initially went to the informational seminar is that it can promote gas and reflux issue. Without passing judgment on ourselves, one of thought which I find helpful is: When we make our choice to care for our health sometimes we need to put things in a black and white category. For many with varying "addictions" there are too many gray areas. Such areas allow us to convince ourselves that it is okay too have or do something even when it is not in our best interest. For me a question I ask myself at times is: Is having or doing this really in harmony with what is truly best for my health and the commitment I have made to myself? Figuring out a question or statement which suits your personal circumstances can become your own check and balance.

I think the key is, as many others have mentioned is to follow the advice of your healthcare staff. All the input from the rest of us via our research or medical staff is just a guideline. Ask all the questions you need from your support staff, that is their job. Asking out here is helpful, but sometimes we may just keep asking in hopes of getting the answer we want, not necessarily what is best for us. Hope that helps someone out there! Keep healthy!

:thumbup: This is very very wise advice.

Enough doctors have recommended giving up caffeine for it to be a credible recommendation.

I agree, do what your doctor tells you. Carbonation can cause big problems. If you truly have to have diet mountain dew or diet pepsi, don't get the band. Period.

Caffeine...in a non-carbonated form, may fit back into your life if it doesn't stimulate your appetite, but carbonation hurts and can cause damage. By the time you may be able to safely drink carbonated beverages (if ever) you'll be over the addiction.

And I'm not being facetious or mean about giving it up and if you can't, don't get the band. It's a big decision that requires a lot of lifestyle changes and is not the right choice for everyone! I only drink beer about twice a year but it was "important" to me; I had to decide if giving up those holiday times was worth it. It was dicey for a while but the band won. You need to think it through carefully! Good luck to you!

In my pre-surgery seminar it was stated that sodas affect Calcium absorption or leach Calcium from your system. So, I quit them due to that.

I have tried carbonated drinks since being banded, but I cannot tolerate them, the bubbles are just too hard to consume and I usually end up with the hiccups--including beer :D

But, since I don't enjoy drinking them, I don't really miss them.

As for coffee, I drink one travel mug every day and an occassional latte without any negative effects.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Denise

One thing that is a common theme when reading about the band is, get rid of the soda, diet and regular. Caffeine issue aside, pop is real no no. If you are that devoted to having it, the band and bypass may not be for you. I am in the process of giving it up on my 6 month diet. Might as well do it now than later.

In my pre-surgery seminar it was stated that sodas affect Calcium absorption or leach calcium from your system. So, I quit them due to that.

Denise

Excellent point Denise, that is something I have read in the past and knew as a Diet Pepsi addict but it was never pointed out to me since banding and I never made that connection. Another very good reason to kick the habit.

I too was addicted to diet pepsi.. I drank a six pack a day. I am also a coffee addict.. during my pre op diet i gave up both.. it was rough going for a couple of days.. headaches and such but I did it.. I would never ever drink anything carbonated due to the fact that I know someone who continued drinking soda after the band and ended up causing her band to slip and she lost literally no weight since she had stretched her pouch so much. NO THANKS.. I seriously do not even crave soda at all! I do drink 1 cup of coffee every morning now, which I started about 3 months post op. I am at work at 6 am and need that jump.. It does not cause me to be hungry.. I usually can't eat anything till about 11 a.m. since my band is so much tighter in the morning. I wish you luck but if you can't kick the soda addiction my advice is DONT GET THE BAND... the band is a tool. Not a cure all..

I know it seems impossible now but it can be done. I was addicted to Diet Coke more then one can imagine. I thought I would grow old and die with a 32oz. fountain Diet Coke in my hand, lol. After my surgery the pain meds made it so I didn't have those headaches and it's been 8 months and haven't had any carbonated drink. Really can't imagine going back to drinking liquid sugar that most likely would hurt my stomach.

You can do it!

Caffeine is known to prompt insulin production, which in turn prompts sugar cravings and increasing appetite. That is why they want you to give it up.

wow, i didn't know that- prompt insulin prod and causes sugar cravings! my doc didn't mention it to me. i have 3 more months of the diet left. i have already mixed Decaf with what regular coffee i had in my house and planned on cutting back anyway. but at work we only have caffinated. and i had 2 huge cups this morning.

and i agree - might as well cut out the soda's i quit smoking and don't plan on starting up again - that was was rough!

good info! thanks

Similar thoughts to RestlessMonkey. Each individual has to weigh out how important their new lifestyle is to success. One comment at a discussion group I attended revolved around the fact that sometimes you have to simply look at things as black or white. Not giving oneself a grey area because for many of us that is where the trouble comes. Deciding what one is willing to do for one's health and overall wellbeing is worth the sacrifice of caffeine or sweets or carbonation. It is only food. Not saying it is not difficult when it is an addition, and that is what it can become, but it is still simply just food. Getting all the feedback is great, but one still has to look at our indivdual circumstance. Sometimes we request all the feedback because we just want someone to agree with what we want to do. Whether that is best for us or not. This surgery is huge, but it is still just a tool and we will have to make decisions all the time. Well, I look forward to reading again in the week. Wed. I have another weigh in. It will be my last pre-surgery skills group. The following day I can call for my last behaviorist appt and a couple of weeks later the last doc consult. So, if all continues forward, I should know my surgery date by mid-late December. Hurray! I think I may be getting a little nervous because I am starting to think about bypass surgery instead. I have no idea why. Oh well, I have time to decide. Any thoughts from anyone on that? What made you decide on banding v. bypass? Any input welcome!:rolleyes:

Jazzy, you sound like you are in a good place right now...I think you are going to do great!

As far as getting nervous, I think we all do, I know I did. I chose the band because it is not as extreme and it is reversible. With bipass there is no undoing things if there are complications. Also another thing to consider...since I have been banded I have seen and read about several people that had bipass and are now getting banded because the weight started coming back. I have no regrets.