Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Told to give up coffee

I don't want to sound like I'm whining, but I have given up most all other bad vices. I stopped using tobacco products 11 years ago, I haven't had a drink of anything alcohol in 12 years. I even stopped drinking soda pop 4 months ago. Other than my weight and not getting enough excercise I live fairly healthy. My lap-band surgery is on 11-25-08, and amoung all the other things to prepare I'm told I have to give up coffee, and all other caffine products. All this time I thought coffee was a guiltless pleasure that I truely enjoy. I don't know how I can function, especially without that afternoon pick-me-up. I tried going cold turkey, but the headaches and withdrawl symptoms were incredable. I have weaned my self down to 2 cups of Dark or French Roast a day. Anyone have any suggestions, or advice.

I was also told to give "limit" caffeine prior to surgery.. but i do not recall having to give it up all together. I now drink about 2 cups a day. I was not sure that i was going to be able to drink coffee without cream and sugar. but now the thought of sugar in my coffee most days makes me sick. . you will be amazed at the things you think you will miss but eventually not miss at all. good luck

I was told to stop drinking it during pre op and recovery. It ain't gonna happen. It is my only vice. I've cut down from drinking coffee all day to two cups in the morning. My nutritionist says that the studies have shown that caffeine increases your appetite, thus making it harder to lose the weight. I can't say that happens to me. I've even noticed that sometimes if I am hungry, I drink a cup of coffee and it tides me over. My thouhgts are that if you keep it in moderation, you'll be OK.

I am with you Suzannek - i am 6 months post op and if i start the day with a cup of coffee and a Protein Bar . i am good until almost 2pm. If you give up everything .. you are going to go crazy and over indulge with something else. Also remember, you are now taking much slower sips.. so sit back and savor that one or two cups.

I was told I MUST NEVER have caffeine. I love iced tea (no sugar) and have read a lot of research about the pros (and cons) of caffeine so I asked why. I kept asking until finally I was told "because it is an appetite stimulant for some". Well poo! It doesn't have that effect on me. So I went without preop and post op for the first 3 weeks or so, but now am back to drinking my caffeinated tea. I do NOT recommend going against your doctor's advice just because of what is posted here. BUT I do recommend pinning down your doctor on exactly WHY you can't have caffeine. If it is a reason that you feel doesn't apply to you, you can make up your own mind about it.

I will say I apparently am not "addicted" in that no tea/coffee doesn't mean I get headaches or am any meaner than usual LOL AND I do make sure that I get 64 oz of Water in each day, in addition to my tea (caffeine can be a mild diuretic .... it doesn't "count" as water)

but otherwise, I'm fine. You need to make your own determination about whether it can fit in a healthy lifestyle for you, however! :(

Thank you all for your reply's on coffee. I found the postings helpful and insperational. I will continue to try to give up coffee, but it's nice to know that if I can't it won't be the end of the world, or that I have failed with this opputunity on a new start in life.

I too am seriously addicted to my coffee. I was going to give it up, but the headachs were just too bad, and I only drink one cup in the morning. I figured that if I could not tolerate it I would know it. It really saved me during the broth phase of post op. Also when I told my psychologist about giving it up she said she did not think that I need too. She was not my surgeons psychologist, but I believed her anyway. Good luck with what ever you decide.

I was very coffee addicted but did manage to give it up in the last few weeks. I did it by mixing regular coffee with decaf...started with just a dollop of Decaf and the rest regular, then slowly started changing the ratios until I was all decaf. I do feel good to have given up a vice and a true addiction. More proof to myself that I can change than anything I suspect.

:eek:Surgery scheduled for 11-18-8 Ya!!!!

I was not told to give up caffine but I was told to give up soda. Diet Coke was my main source of caffine. Since I drank one pretty much all the time, I was getting a steady infusion of caffine. I swithched to Water when I got my approval letter. The doctor said the carbonation could stretch the banded part of the stomach and cause gas pain. I felt like I was one of those old bugs bunny and the mad scientist cartoons on ether! I felt like I was in slow motion and everyone else was at normal speed. Not to mention the headache. I do have to admit, now that I am used to going without (three weeks) if I drink a cup of coffee or tea I get hungry. So I quess I'm stuck with Water for now. I look at it this way, If I am willing to have SURGERY to loose weight, giving up diet coke is small in comparison. Just my thoughts.

Thank you all for your reply's on coffee. I found the postings helpful and insperational. I will continue to try to give up coffee, but it's nice to know that if I can't it won't be the end of the world, or that I have failed with this opputunity on a new start in life.

Just my two cents...not on the pros/cons of drinking coffee, but how to wean yourself off it. I've been a heavy coffee drinker for more years than I care to count. One of the goals I set up with the dietician was to wean myself off coffee.

I found this tip to be very helpful for me. When I started in my attempt to cut it down (out), I was drinking out of a VERY large latte cup. The first week I filled it 3/4 instead of all the way. The second week I switched to a normal sized (much smaller) cup and filled it. The next week I filled that smaller cup only 3/4. By the 4th week I was quite happy with half a cup and even skipped it altogether for 2 days. This week I will continue with this amount and since I'm pre-op will likely switch to Decaf next week and try it until my surgery. It's been a slow progression, but I am happy to say that I have not had one headache (knock wood) and I've lost that "gotta have a cup of coffee" feeling that I used to wake with each morning.

Best of luck to you!

GIVE UP COFFEE!?!?!?!?!

Oh man... you are right. My one last vice, I love my coffee!

......just checked, it is listed as something I am allowed to drink in my paperwork. WHEW!!

**relieved jittering over a cup o joe**

Hi Everyone,

The coffee issue is going to be very difficult for me as well. I have done most of my testing but I must see the nutritionist for 6 months so my surgery date is 3/3/8. I am nervous but also can't wait to get it done.I have been doubting myself about the lap band and thinking I possibly should be doing the bypass? Confussed in New Jersey