Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP Restriction Gone Overnight! Whats wrong?

Hi,

I just got my second fill 3 weeks ago. Each fill has been 1cc. I was actually thinking that I may have gone too tight because I was PBing a lot and eatting in the morning was almost impossible. Two nights ago I was watching TV when suddenly I got a small pain. It only lasted about 4 seconds. It sort of felt like a stitch had come undone (not say thats what is was, just how it felt). The next day I didnt get a chance to eat until 8pm. I was starving and I orders a large bowl of wonton Soup in a Chinese Rest. I ate the whole bowl without any problem. It wasnt until later that I though WTF, how did that happen? Well the next morning i I ate a slice a toast, again zero restriction. That is unheard of for me in the morning.

I got scare and called my doctor. I thought I might have had a slip. He said I'd be in paid if I had a slip. I asked if it could be errosion. He said he thought it was too soon for that (banded 6 months ago). A leak? He said not likely. He asked if my port had shifted or if it was hard to access. It hasnt and its easy to access. He told me I should get a barrium swollow. He actually says that I may just need another fill! Is that possible? I made an appointment with my fill Dr. I must say that I dont think this is a greatest Dr and wonder if he will do a good job of ID'ing the problem. Has anyone ever hear of anything like this, total restriction one day and none the next?

I have an appointment next Thursday, but would like any feedback i could get now.

Thanks,

Loads of Laughs

I have gone through what you describe.

Even though my experience has been that since my surgery (even before a fill) I had some restriction, I have noticed as time goes on 'my after fill' restriction starts to wean out about day 3.

Let me give you an example: 1 day after fill I can not drink coffee in the morning --it does not come back up, it just takes a while to go down. Day 3 or 4 I was able to have coffee in morning, gravy and biscuts for Breakfast and then lunch, then dinner etc.

Fills fizzle if you are not at that really restricted point "sweet spot" --Add to that: your body is changing, and you loose and gain Water weight.

The way I figure it is, I need to do the work 'tween my fills. But that is just me.

I am at 4.6 ccs and I won't go in now until december and that is by choice.

I actually have the same thing with both my fills as CapitolChick. The first 3-4 days after my fill I have restriction but then it subsides and it is not as tight. I have my 3rd fill on Wed and I know that I need more. I know that my doctor says that right after a fill some people also swell-some more than others (we're even required to do liquids for 2 days after).

I say do the swallow and at least find out if you have an issue or no..... then get a fill if everthing is fine

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I actually woke up today and had a little bit of restriction. I guess I was just scared because the change happened so quickly, actually overnight.

Boy I was so depressed. Im a self pay and I was just sick over all the money down the drain. I feel much better now.

Thanks again,

LOL (Loads of Laughs)

I suddenly lost restriction about 2-3 weeks after my second fill, then again after my third fill. I was worried that I had a leak. But my doctor said that it is common as we continue to lose weight around our internal organs including our stomach, just like a belt, our band gets looser as the weight comes off. He said I should see a more permanent restricion by fill 4 or 5 and he was right.

Sounds like some of the weight loss you're having is around organs including the stomach. I think you just need another fill. I would do the barium swallow just to be sure.

You guys make me so jealous! I was banned back in April and I have only lost 30 pounds. It was actually more but I gained 10 back after my first fill! :eek:

I just cant seem to get motivated. I think maybe Im getting fills to slowly. Im only on my second and I see that most people are on there 3 or 4th in that amount of time.

Ive been really feeling down on myself because I havent been able to stay on a strict diet of protien shakes and 100 calorie meals, like most of the folks here. Seems like everyones in the zone and Im still fighting to keep from eatting ice cream or cake or whatever. How do you guys find the will? :eek:

Edited by LoadsofLaughs

It really sounds like you need more restriction. I am not on a strict diet, I do not use Protein shakes as a meal and I don't count calories. I do not overeat and it is the band with good restriction that helps me there--not willpower. As far as eating the right foods, not eating between meals, not drinking with a meal etc. that takes willpower but it is much easier when you are not hungry.

Per his guidlines, I see my surgeon once a month whether I need a fill or not (He likes to see his patients once a month for the first year). He evaluates what and how much I am eating and my exercise, asks questions to make sure that I am not too tight or having symtoms or slippage or erosion. Then together we determine whether I need a fill.

I can't believe you've only had two fills in 6 months.. Wow.. Unless you just didn't need a fill.. I know there are some rare cases that you just don't need one. My doctor told me to get a fill every 3-4 weeks until I felt perfect restriction. That took 3 or 4 fills for that to happen.

And bands can be fickle. All it takes is a stressful day or a happy day to completely throw me off. Sunday I could eat whatever I wanted, today I could barely get a smoothie down and have to go get an unfill today because other than sunday I've been barely eating for about two weeks now. So what was up with Sunday?? just some freak thing I suppose.

Bands react to what we feel.

Hi,

I think you guys are right. I need another fill. I had my surgery down in MX so I dont really talk to my doc anymore. My local Fill Dr. made it VERY clear that he would only do my fills and not any after care. When I ask questions, he pretty much shuts me down. But he is one of only two Doc's here who will see patients banded in MX. I dont think my fill dr. is such a great doctor though. It seems like every time I talk to one of his patients, they are either in pain or fighting an infection....yikes! He's only done about 50 lap bands. He's got a really weird personality too. When we first met he want to see my scars. I pointed to them and said, here they are. He replied in an upset tone, "I know where they are." I guess he thought I was insinuating that he didnt know what he was doing. lol I dont know, maybe he was having a bad day.

I waited an extra month before getting my first fill because I was told that it would reduce my chances of a slip. Its been one disaster after another at work. Im putting in 70 hour weeks. When I have free time, all I want to do is veg. I've got to start getting my fills and getting on my elliptical. I feel much more motivated to stay on top of those fills now.

coolcrystal, I read something on this board a few days ago about why restriction goes up and down. The poster said that when we have a pretty good fill, its harder for our food to go down. It takes longer. If you go to sleep before all of the food is out of your pouch, the food will just sit in your pouch and irritate your stomach. They said this is the reason why so many have too much restiction in the morning and not enough at night. I thought it was a pretty interesting post.

Edited by LoadsofLaughs