Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

United Health Care

Covered mine in Kansas and is paying for the first 2 month of fills. Then I pay $15.00. We have the PPO policy....it actually paid 100% to date!

It all depends on the policy that your employer has with United. If they have an exclusion on obesity surgery, then they won't pay. The way it was explained to me is that the employer is given rates on different policies, depending on how much coverage they want. It costs your employer more to insure its employees for obesity, so some companies opt out on that coverage. Good luck!

Colleen

Hey, I'm waiting on approval from UHC an hope they approve me. I'm so sorry they denied you - are you going to appeal - did they tell you the reason why.

I have a bmi of 43 only. Good luck on you journey, wish you well.

I didn't think that I was going to be approved by UHC because I don't have comorbidity to speak of (well, more now than then) and my BMI wasn't that high. In fact, I had given up on getting this procedure at all. But, come to find out they did "approve".

I have UHC through my husband's employer, who is self-insured with UHC as a benefits administrator only. They only enforce the contract that they have with the employer, we use their network doctors, etc.

My family really cannot afford this surgery without insurance right now, so I called UHC myself even after the doctor's office called me to let me know I was approved and to schedule (we didn't get an "approval" letter from insurance, just an advisory to contact them ASAP if I end up going inpatient). UHC said that since the doctor and facility are within network, and it is an outpatient procedure, that there is no approval even required from them. This really blew me away!

I do think that a lot of the restrictions are with the employer and what they are willing to pay for. If the company is self-insured then UHC just pushes the paperwork and money for the company but it isn't out of their pocket. Please let me know if am not understanding correctly on that, but that is how it was explained to me by the benefits people.

I have heard in a few different places that UHC is the best to work with, so I hope that anyone having problems will be able to get them ironed out quickly.

Guest purple1919

I also have an appt. with Dr. Spivak i also wonder if united covers my surgey , And how long is the proceedure from meeting with him Sept. 1 and thru surgery

Well, I met with Dr. Spivak last Friday (8/19), so now I'm just waiting on approval. Everyone at the office tells me I have nothing to worry about with UHC (employer is SBC)......but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping to hear quickly.......I'll be 29 (for like the 7th time) Oct. 2 and would really like to have it done by then!!!!

Guest purple1919

I Also Have Uhc I Have An Appt With Dr Spivak Sept 1 Im Diabetic And My Bmi Is 38 I Hope Thry Approve Me Too

I have UHC as well thru MCI. I was approved on Wednesday, 8/24. I started the entire process on 7/28. I have a BMI of 51 and severe sleep apnea. I was beginning to think it was never going to happen and it all just happens like overnight. I wish everybody luck in getting the band...I know what you going through.

Does anyone have UHC through The Home Depot? At my full time job I have Aetna and they denied me. So the dr's office is going to try my part time job's insurance which is UHC. I hope that they pitch in something.

Thanks

uhc approved me in 9 days bmi 40 no comorbidites.My suregery date is 9/08/05 with a Dr In Plano. I weigh 238 and looking to get down to 145