Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fills

I thought maybe we could have a thread where we share how our first fills have gone. Some of us have already had one, and others of us are coming up on them quickly.

I had mine today. Met with the clinic's exercise guy and the nutrition lady and stepped on the scale of doom - actually it's a nice scale. They were all very pleased with my progress and explained that because I'm switching back to real food it wouldn't have been unusual for me to have gained back some of what I lost earlier. I did lose 4 lbs.

Then came time for the fill. The hardest part was breathing while the nurse looked for the appropriate place - she pushed hard for such a little thing! What I thought was the port is actually scar tissue. Lovely. Anyway - she got it on the first try, took a couple of seconds to get it in, and I am now the proud recipient of 2cc's of saline.

My next appt is the week after Thanksgiving.

Hope everyone else has as good an experience. :rolleyes2:

I had my first fill on Monday. My doc does it in the imaging department. Went in, he gave me a local, which pinched very slightly. Found the port with no problem. My follow-up appointment is the first week of December.

My first fill was today as well. I can't believe I was even nervous, it went to good. The worst part was the sting of the numbing medicine. He put in 3cc's My next followup is Dec 16th.

Do you feel any restriction?

Not a whole lot of difference, although I have noticed that I'm not getting hungry again quite as quickly. That and getting the last of the halloween candy out of the house should make for an easier time of it until the next fill.

Question: I'm scheduled the Monday before Thanksgiving. What do you think I will be able to eat? Anything but in small quantities? Or will I be on mushies?

Thanks,

Anne

Anne -

I was on full liquids (yogurt, etc) for 24 hrs., but have been back on regular food since with no real problems. I think it's going to take a couple of more fills before I feel any real meaningful restriction.

Good luck!

Does anyone feel a good restriction from their first fill..I had such hight expectations..first fill tomorrow

I can tell it's time for my fill. I'm waiting on the appointment time right now.

I have been a lot more hungry this week. The nurse said it's because my swelling from surgery has gone down, therefore making my band more loose.

It's a relief to hear and read that it's not that bad.:tongue2:

Does anyone feel a good restriction from their first fill..I had such hight expectations..first fill tomorrow

When I went for my fill, the nurse told me that they had a couple of patients who did so well with just the band and no saline that they never had a fill and lost lots and lots of weight.

I keep trying to tell myself I need to be patient while they find my "sweet spot," but it's so darn hard!

When I went for my fill, the nurse told me that they had a couple of patients who did so well with just the band and no saline that they never had a fill and lost lots and lots of weight.

Speaking of which...

Question: I am not able to each much without becoming full or feeling like it is starting to come up (same thing I guess). Anyway, my doc scheduled me for a fill a week from Monday (before Thanksgiving). Do you think I should keep that appointment??? The trainer at the gym said some people have restriction just from the swelling of the surgery and it sounds like I do. I don't want to be SO restricted I worry about eating even a very small amount at t-day dinner.

What would you do?

~~anne

Anne - I would keep the appt and have the conversation with them. We had a good talk about whether I was ready for a fill before they decided to do it. They're the experts!

This is really a very good thread. I have been putting this off and after reading responses to Anne's decision - I finally scheduled an appointment for the day before Thanksgiving.

I too am not yet very hungry... just a bit; Also been a bit nervous with such a drastic weight loss and folks are noticing. I keep thinking, do I tell or what?

Anyway, I'll be going back to Detroit next week, to check if I need a fill or not.

It's very good to know that its not painful... I've been a bit worried about that.

I really feel like I am ready for a feel. Hungry much more often and able to eat more than I should. I am still loosing, but my first fill isnt until 12-1, my dr makes you wait 6 weeks post op. Uggh.....