Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Fills

Do you eat before a fill?

My 1st fill appointment is for 1pm today; I am on here reading and searching to see what I am allowed to eat before and after (in case of a fill).

------------------------------

I have made it to Detroit for my first follow-up and am not sure if I can get a fill or not... I hope so. I ate sooo much last night at the hotels restaurant - that I need some restriction. This was the first time I've eaten this much since surgery - I've been so good & careful. My nerves were high and the chicken strips were sooo tasty!

NFaith - I was told no eating the day of the fill, and that I would go back on full liquids for 24 hrs afterwards.

Good luck - hope you get the fill you want!

KarenK,

Thank you!

I had my first fill about 2 weeks ago and still don't feel a lot of restriction. I can eat quite a bit (like 2 peices of pizza) before I feel full. Maybe it just takes that long to work...

I had my first fill today. Not a good experience for me. The doc couldn't find the port so sent me round to x ray for them to do it. I had a bit of pain from the needle jabs and a lot of nerves about what would happen at x ray and also I have a severe fear of heights and having to walk round a hospital you've not been round before is quite daunting. I ended up feeling a slight bit of shock by the end of it all.

Am now doing liquids for 24 hours, then mushies again for a day, then back to 'normal' foods.

Happy Thanksgiving All!

I had my first fill yesterday (NO PAIN AT ALL). We drove up to Detroit to meet with my surgeon who did the fill. He says he does them at 4cc's at a time. I said, "wow, isn't that a lot?" He says my band is 12cc's.

Once I he easily gave me the 4cc's and a cup of Water, I gaged and fluids came back up twice. He quickly removed all fluids and slowly inserted 4 (to see if it would fit - it did)... he released it down to leave 3.5 cc's total. I felt sooo much better!

And I do feel restriction... even tho my greedy self put some of my sisters homemade stuffing / dressing on a spoon twice and really enjoyed the flavor as I swallowed it down very slowly today :blush:.

wow. I was told after a fill first 24 hours is liquids, next 24 hours is mushies and then on the third day its back to 'real' food.< /p>

I had one fill already and am having my next in about 1.5 weeks and I really feel I could use it sooner but they told me that I have to wait. I was soo not restricted before my first fill I was able to eat everything and was always hungry. I am now not always hungry but I feel that I can still eat too much. I want to tell them to add 4cc this time. I had two cc from before surgery and then I had two cc added in my first fill. I was told not to leave until I can make sure I can swallow so that I wouldn't have to come back if I couldn;t keep up at least Water down. well I hope that they fill me up. I have 30lb in 7 weeks which I know is good but I wanted to loose more.

Sunwyse - sorry your first fill was not a great experience for you. Hope the rest go much smoother!

NFaith - glad you got the fill you wanted and that it went smoothly.

I'm due for my second fill a week from Wednesday. Here's to finding our sweet spots soon!!

I had my first fill. It went great. My doctor puts in enough until you have resctriction, then pulls back .10 cc. He mad a few adjustments to get to the point where Water would go down without restriction. With .10 cc more it would hesitate before running through.

What a wierd feeling when he put in too much and the water just sat in my pouch! That was a horrible feeling. That must be something like what it feels like to get something stuck! Yuck. I was able to eat soft food and then a chicken breast with small mindful bites it wasn't a problem. I can't believe with just a few drops more I would be too tight!:thumbup:

First Fill 2.8cc

hey guys...i was supposed to have my 1st fill 11/26, the day before Thanksgiving...but the nurse forgot to call and reschedule my appt...cause my doc went out of town...so i had to reschedule for december the 10th......i am kinda glad...because i was still really sore...only slightly sore now...i got poison sumac from washing my husband's hunting clothes...still have it...that makes 6 weeks of itching...and they had me on steroid injections for 4 weeks...so i have not lost any weight, but am so thankful that i have not gained because steroids make me so hungry and usually i gain 15- 30 pounds on them...they have my sugar sky high...like 400...and they impede healing, which explains why i was still sore...so i hope to get my fill on wednesday...a little nervous, some folks say it hurts and some say it doesn't...guess i just have to wait and see...good luck to all of you that have had it and the one's waiting to have it...

karenK, thank you. Its all settled down now and I feel much better. I'm eating a lot less than I used to, but still a bit too much. I'll be scheduling my next fill for early January I think.

I had my first fill last week. It was a breeze although I thought the doctor should have filled me up a little more. He only injected 1.5cc and I go back for second fill 14 days after and 3rd fill in another 14 days. I was told to eat Breakfast and lunch before my fill and then Clear Liquids for dinner. Then full liquids for the day after the fill and finally back to "regular" diet 2 days post fill. I don't know how I ever got through 3 weeks of liquids in the beginning. The day and a half post fill was a flash back I could have done without. Banded 10/31/2008 and have lost 28.7# to date.

so i had to reschedule for december the 10th............they have my sugar sky high...like 400...and they impede healing, which explains why i was still sore...so i hope to get my fill on wednesday...a little nervous, some folks say it hurts and some say it doesn't...guess i just have to wait and see...good luck to all of you that have had it and the one's waiting to have it...

Hope you get the fill you want on Wednesday. I'm going in that day for my 2nd fill. I'm really hoping for some more reasonable restriction.

Wow, 400 is an amazingly high sugar level! Yikes! My sugars are actually getting much better on the band. They even took me off the januvia last week. I was pleased. Hope you get your sugars back where they belong.

I can tell a HUGE difference since my first fill. I had it done the week after Thanksgiving and now I eat a lot less. I never got to that "elephant sitting on my chest" feeling before the fill. I try not to eat too much because I don't like that feeling at all.:cursing:

I dropped 5 lbs the week of the first fill!

The actual fill was not painful, it was just a little strange-feeling. The dr. had me sit up in the bed and drink some Water while the needle was still in me...that made me feel a little sick. Oh...and he was in a good mood because he came down the hospital hall singing "I'm in The Mood for Love". :huh2: