Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I don't get it....

Here's the deal- I had first fill today since surgery. They had to unfill a bit after the fisrt try today because Water went down hard. I have to start stage 1 again then mushies ect.. I can feel the restiriction but I don't feel "FULL"?????? What's up w/ that!?!? Anyone????? Thanks!

I was told not to eat until FULL but rather eat until "satisfied"...that "full" feeling means your about to PB, if I understand correctly.

I've always wondered about this as well. I don't feel full until I'm overly stuffed and it makes my stomach hurt. LoL However, I've never ate so much I've thrown up.

With that said, I don't usually get hungry unless it's mental hunger. (This has been a really really hard one for me to work on. Puting food in my mouth seems like something I'll always have issues with)

Anyway, I think that's what people mean when they say they are full...they mean they aren't hungry??

That's the best I can come up with. It will be interesting to see what other people say in responce to your question.

Good luck! :D

My surgeon corrects us if we say "full"...he stresses to eat only until we're satisfied/no longer hungry. He said eating until full can stretch the pouch (once you have one, which happens w/restriction)

I think it's hard to retrain to hit that point. It takes our bodies 20 minutes (minimum) to know we're not hungry any more, so I guess the safest route is to eat that 1/2 cup (or 2 oz) portion, chew it to death, and then sit and "listen" to your body and see if you are still hungry.

It's a skill I think, and I'll just have to work on it!

i didn't feel proper restriction until after my 2nd fill. it will take a couple of fills until you might actually feel full.

you might feel a little restriction right now... right after your fill... because the fill causes your stomach to swell a bit which is why most doctors have their patients start the liquid and mushie phase over right after a fill.

i can DEFINITELY tell when i'm full. it's a feeling like if i eat one more bite i'll throw up and i HAVE taken that bite and i have thrown up.

this is all a learning curve right now... give it time, you'll get the hang of it!

Thanks everyone for the advise & tips. I am still a bit confused but I guess I'll give it time. I just had a shake & I am still HUNGRY for sure. :cool2:

Do the shakes ever fill you up though. :biggrin:

I will always have the head hunger too I''m afraid. :D

Thanks! Anyone else feel free to respond. :biggrin:

I wish I had more to add to what everyone else has said here but I'm about to have my first fill on Wednesday. I'm trying to read up on what other people's experiences have been as well. I'm really hoping I feel "full" since that's exactly why I decided to do the band in the first place. Since my 9/22/08 surgery, I have been REALLY struggling with hunger. I feel like I spend most of the day trying NOT to be hungry by eating low cal stuff but it's just such a pain! And then at night I get really "head" hungry. I just wanted to say-you're not alone sister! I hope it does get better with the next fill for you.

I'm still on liquid phase post op. No, I can guarantee the shakes don't fill you up. They do seem to take the edge off the hunger for me though. At present I'm having little often, about every 2 hours and that seems to get me through.

Have you tried having a glass of Water 10 minutes before eating? That might help take the edge off before you eat and help to make you feel less hungry.

I had my 1st fill on 10/24 and i guess im a lucky one because my doctor told me i can eat normally as long as its tolerated so i didnt have to go on liquids and mushies etc...i had some Soup when i came home (because i was nervous) and after that i had tuna and some salad chewed real well and im fine...with being hungry the doctor told me to eat 6 times a day every 2 hrs...for Breakfast i have egg whites on 1 piece of toast..2hrs later sf pudding.......lunch 2 to 4 oz Protein with veggies or a salad....2 hrs later chex mix...dinner 2 to 4 oz protein with carbs (spoonfull)...2 hrs later sf jello..hope this helps he told me eating 3 meals and 3 Snacks helps with not being hungry and the weight come off.good luck

My surgeon corrects us if we say "full"...he stresses to eat only until we're satisfied/no longer hungry. He said eating until full can stretch the pouch (once you have one, which happens w/restriction)

I think it's hard to retrain to hit that point. It takes our bodies 20 minutes (minimum) to know we're not hungry any more, so I guess the safest route is to eat that 1/2 cup (or 2 oz) portion, chew it to death, and then sit and "listen" to your body and see if you are still hungry.

It's a skill I think, and I'll just have to work on it!

1/2 cup is not 2 ounces, but it's 4 ounces. There are 8 ounces in a cup.

teri

I think you and I are in the same boat. We have been eating until full for so long that we don't know what just being satisfied is supposed to feel like. I struggle with this because I know that I still eat too fast. I am trying to work on slowing down so that I will get that satisfied feeling. It is really a learning curve. I hope that we get that "sweet spot" that everyone talks about soon. Keep plugging away, I think we will get it before it is over.

I don't know if this is helpful but it works for me...I measure all of my food and am working on "retraining" myself. I do not know what satisfied/full or any of those terms mean anymore but I do know I cannot eat more than 1 cup of food at a time anymore. That limit was set by my surgeon and that is the committment I made when I was banded. I am hungry sometimes and it can be head hunger or not but all I know is I cannot respond to that by blindly eating. I am on a 3 meals a day plan (some do better with more meals I know) and that is all I get. I have found once your know that you will not respond to whatever causes that feeling of "hunger" it does start to diminish. Not a perfect system by a long shot but for me after spending so many years eating to satisfy every urge or feeling it is something that seems to be working for me. I am glad we have this place to share what works for each of us.

I don't mind NOT eating till full. I just am hungry a lot still. I meet w/ my nutritionist next tuesday. I guess she'll be a good person to talk to about this. Thanks everyone!

I just had my first fill yesterday. I felt restriction right away and was told to stay on liquids for 24 hours, then mushies then back to normal foods. After my morning shake this a.m. I was feeling hungry again. I hope once I get back to regular foods, the restricted band will kick in.

:biggrin: