Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Normal/Why???

I was banded on 09-08-08. I am hungry more than I think I should be or expected. I can eat anything and average portions, not really restricted but no fill yet, that is next week. Now I am worried the band has slipped, or stretched, all the things that make you panic. A guy I work with had it done several years ago and almost every day at lunch he gets up to vomit something. He also says he and his wife share things when they go out to eat, but I noticed he is put some weight on lately. Is that normal? Also noticed gas, is that normal??:thumbup:

I was banded on 09-08-08. I am hungry more than I think I should be or expected. I can eat anything and average portions, not really restricted but no fill yet, that is next week. Now I am worried the band has slipped, or stretched, all the things that make you panic. A guy I work with had it done several years ago and almost every day at lunch he gets up to vomit something. He also says he and his wife share things when they go out to eat, but I noticed he is put some weight on lately. Is that normal? Also noticed gas, is that normal??:thumbup:

I am no expert as I had my surgery on 9-22, but the week before I got my first fill I was beginning to get so freakin hungry I could have eaten a horse. Since Monday (fill date) my hunger is practically nonexistent and my portions are tiny...so hang in there. As far as gas, mine was bad the first 2 weeks but has since gone away entirely. best of luck to you!!

so did you eat pretty normal food and amounts before the fill or am I messing up? I don't eat as much as before, but today I had a small sub w/fries for lunch and dinner a bowl of chili w/ a hot dog.

no maybe 80 ounces a day? I do know I can still drink and eat together although I try not too, the habit is hard to break

I got banded a week after you and know how you feel. Totally hungry and not nearly any restriction like right after surgery. The swelling has gone down now. I believe it is a form of bandster hell. I had the same feeling before my first fill.

I really tried to stick to 3 meals a day at 4 oz at a time and drink (hot tea w/lemon and water) my way thru the rest of the hunger to train myself and not put back on any of the weight I lost during the liquid phase.

Believe me-- the fill will help. For me it did at least. I need more (next week is my 2nd fill) but I feel full off of 4oz for 3-4hrs and can sort of extend it for 5 hrs with ALOT of Water or warm tea (I eat slowly- I have to force the slowness).

I really think (for me) much is mental along with the physical..... I am re-training myself on portions and what "full" is. That is why I really tried to keep to the recommended 4oz even though before my fill I felt like I could eat a house.

Stay strong-- It's the beginning of a journey and we're just starting out on this!

Don't worry, you are in what's called Bandster Hell. Bandster Hell is the period of time when the swelling from the surgery has gone down but you haven't yet had sufficient fills to get proper restriction. It may take anywhere between 3-6 fills for you to feel restriction. It took me 4 fills to feel true restriction.

As for your friend who vomits at lunch on a regular basis, he's doing this because he's either too tight or he's eating too fast/too much.

Gas - unfortunately increased gas seems to be the norm.

Thanks. I guess I am just worried about screwing up the surgery for lack of will power. I know when I get a fill I will be restricted and maybe I am afraid......... I have lost about 30 pounds. That feels good but I love pizza and mcdonalds. I can't eat what I used to eat, but I am scared I messed up because I can eat. This si worse than when I quit smoking. You have to eat and be around food!

no maybe 80 ounces a day? I do know I can still drink and eat together although I try not too, the habit is hard to break

It really is a hard habit to break--- I literally cannot have anything to drink in front of me etc when I eat or I will drink it out of habit. I have had to take my glass and put it in the other room. No drinking 30 min before or after meals per my doc so the glass stays out of sight for that long. I take a SMALL sip at the end of my meal to cleanse my mouth... That's it. I have to actually look at the clock and time it. It is about retraining our minds and bodies. It is hard-- but I know that it will be worth it....

Also-- I continuously refill my coffee mug (warm diluted tea w/lemon-had to give up coffee due to it now gives me heartburn) throughout the day which has increased my intake alot. And the warm Water is much easier for me to digest than cold Water and really helps with hunger.

It really is a hard habit to break--- I literally cannot have anything to drink in front of me etc when I eat or I will drink it out of habit. I have had to take my glass and put it in the other room. No drinking 30 min before or after meals per my doc so the glass stays out of sight for that long. I take a SMALL sip at the end of my meal to cleanse my mouth... That's it. I have to actually look at the clock and time it. It is about retraining our minds and bodies. It is hard-- but I know that it will be worth it....

Also-- I continuously refill my coffee mug (warm diluted tea w/lemon-had to give up coffee due to it now gives me heartburn) throughout the day which has increased my intake alot. And the warm Water is much easier for me to digest than cold Water and really helps with hunger.

I totally understand how you feel. Like Donna said, until we get good restriction, the band is just there. I had my first fill yesterday, and I am just as hungry today as I was before the fill. I can only hope that I get a little more restricted as the days go on (I am not holding out any hope). Just try to make good choices so that you don't undo the good work you have done so far. We will get out of this hell soon (I hope).

This post fits me to a t. I was also banded on 9-22 and can eat pretty much anything I want to. I don't seem to eat as much as before. I am hoping that I will get a fill on the 30th when I go the DR for my monthly check in. I haven't lost anymore but I don't think I have gained either (at least that is what my scales show). I will admit however that I have eaten bread and potatoes since I still can right now, and I will drink with meals out habit too!

I have got to get my head wrapped around this and buckle down and do it! I am hoping getting a fill will help!

so did you eat pretty normal food and amounts before the fill or am I messing up? I don't eat as much as before, but today I had a small sub w/fries for lunch and dinner a bowl of chili w/ a hot dog.

Just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should. I don't even know if I can eat bread, but I chose not to because I would rather think that I can't. After surgery you're healing and the swelling is going down. As you start getting hungry it means that you are healing nicely. For me the pre and post op diets helped me change my habits. So next time maybe just eat the insides of your sandwich and just the hot dog...:thumbup: think Atkins almost. Good luck and I hope things work out for you.

Hi, I just got my first fill on thursday, 3 cc in a realize band (10cc??) I feel absolutely the same as before the fill...no restriction at all. I can eat 4 oz of food 3x a day and I'm still pretty hungry from lunch till dinner. I get another fill two weeks from my first fill, so I'm just going to keep at it till I feel something. I also can eat anything and drink fast with no ill effects...not that I do that, but I know I could. Yesterday I had beef stew for dinner, my first bites of red meat since before surgery and it went down just fine.

You have described exactly what I am going through and now that I have read the other "replies" who have already had their first fill (I haven't) I am even more worried. For the first few weeks after the surgery I was very, very careful because I was afraid I would throw up or get food stuck. Then little by little I found I could eat almost anything without problems. I knew before the surgery that I would have to be responsible for my weight loss-that the band was not going to do all the work-but I didn't think I would be this hungry! How is it after you have had a second fill? In fact, how many fills do we get approximately? Those of you who have success stories please include your height and gender. For instance, I am 5'4"-female-so my calorie intake is different than a man's or a taller woman.