Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what the heck is a "food high?"

I've seen several posts lately where people are bemoaning the loss of their food high, or asking if they will lose their food high.

What the hell are y'all talking about?

I think it means that immediate gradification that you feel when you eat and eat on something that taste wonderful, and the desire never to stop.

That's how I would describe it.

I was sort of hoping it was just a shorthand way of saying "enjoy food." But probably not. I've never experienced a "food high" either. Overeating induced food lows on occasion, but never a high.

Count me confused too.

It's a wonderful feeling, and I only feel it when I'm in the process of eating...then afterwards I once again feel like, "What the hell have I done"

Well....when you eat certain foods, mainly refined flour and sugar foods like cake, Cookies, and such and also potatoes (ya know, all the comfort foods) it actually causes your brain to release seratonin. It actually makes you feel better if you are depressed or upset. For people like me who reach for these foods when I'm upset, it's basically a way of self medicating.......

Also....have you ever had something that was really good. Something SO good (like mama's homemade biscuits loaded with butter and apricot jam...but that's just me....) that it made you feel SO happy just by eating it?? Something you anticipated, think about and then when you have it you are SO happy, so at peace? That is a food high for me personally.

well, maybe I understand. For me ice cream = love, but when I have ice cream, I generally limit myself to a small coffee cup, not one of my giant Coffee mugs is this for Coffee only.

I have experienced this on several occasions. I usually am eating out and very relaxed not worried about cooking/cleaning etc. I usually get it when I eat buttered bread or when I have desert. Although I have gotten it from eating plain chocolate. I can honestly say that food had become my few sources of pleasure before my surgery. Now loosing weight is replacing that- Thank goodness. Having a food high is NOT a good thing it leads to over eating and food obsession.

Well just a good feeling. Like liver gives me a bad feeling cause I hate it but pizza I get happy just thinking about it. I know it gets your good feeling chemical raised like giveyouthemoon says. When I say High I mean a really good feeling like the smell of vanilla vs the smell of garbage. You just feel good inside like seeing a puppy.

For me, a food high is when all the bad goes away, all thoughts, emotions, feelings. Like taking a downer or Valium. Food makes it all go away, albeit only temporarily. You crave, want, yearn & can't stop thinking about the food that's going to be eaten soon. Waiting in line forever at the drive through, desperate for the "ding" to go off announcing the pizza is coming out of the oven, pacing, checking the time, eating anything handy while waiting. Then taking that food into a safe place and sitting and just eating, no more worries, no world, no trouble, no husband, job, insanity... deep sign, everything goes blank, and it's Heaven when the noise shuts up.

It's the feeling I get when I eat a bag of plain M&Ms at around 3:00 in the afternoon. Soon I am typing faster, thinking more clearly, feeling more alive and awake and positive and cheery.......whee!

Pansy

Before banding, I never thought about a food high, but now that I pay attention to my body I think I know what it is. Before banding, when I got the feeling, it was like "wow, this is sooo good, I want more!" and now, it means more like "Wow, that was sooo good, I'm full!" I think my body was always trying to tell me that I was happy because I'd had enough, but I just read it wrong the whole time.

Yea wouldn't it be nice if we could eat all we wanted and stay small. My sister in law eats tons and she is a size seven. She can't gain at all. I get that surgery in a heart beat if they could come up with something like that being able to eat all you want.

Then again we are lucky as most of the world is hurgry and really have to work hard just to get a cup of rice or even clean Water. Its way better to be overweight then underweight from going hungry.

I know exactly what you are saying. I use to have it pre-band all the time. Now, with the band, it is really hard to achieve it. Unless I eat Ice Cream or chocolate. I try to stay away from those things now.