Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I have my surgery or not?

Hi, I'm 45 year old female, 5' 3.5", 230, and have been overweight for most of my life.

I have been doing diet and excersize programs at the YWCA, work 50+ hours a week and my weight is going no where.

I have osteoarthritis of the knee, insomnia, sleep apnea, and hypertension. Have also had Meniscal Tear repaired in my right knee, which limits the amount of excersize I can do while on my feet.

And I find with excersizing on the treadmill 30 min a day 5 days a week, plus 90 sit-ups everyday on a excersize ball, my weight is still not going down.

My dilemma is should I try to increase my excersize level in what little time i have left from the hours I work and cancel my surgery, or should I go ahead with the Lap-Band procedure and continue with my current excersize routine.

Also, I seem to be getting mixed responses from my surgeon and my weightloss/fitness trainer that was at my bariatric nutrionist' office as to what I need to do before/after my surgery.

The Surgeon asked me to go on the Atkins Diet two weeks prior to my surgery, and then a liquid diet four weeks after my surgery, and a gradual move to more solid foods. And that I would require a fill 6 weeks after my surgery and other fills every 3 months.

The weightloss/fitness coach told me that I wasn't prepared for my surgery as I needed to be on a more rigouris excersize program than i'm doing now, a minimum of 5 Hours of Cardio and Resistance Training 3 times a week. I needed to have been eating 110-118 grams of Protein a day before for several months before my surgery. And that I'd require fill's every 6 weeks.

So my concern is i'm not prepared and am doing this the wrong way, and I will either have complications from the band or this procedure will fail in someway.

Please let me know what your opinions are on this, as my sugery is in 3 weeks, and I'm now terrified, and am getting cold feet.

:tongue2::unsure::biggrin::unsure:

Only you can make up your mind. I'm 5'3'' and I was 253. I got cold feet right before my surgery too and I felt like I should change my mind, but I didn't and I am so glad!!! I love my band and it is so so worth it!!!! If it's what you want and what you think will work for you then go for it. As for "only doing 30 mins 5 days a week...that is a lot more than I could do before my surgery!!!! Way to go for you :tongue2: Good luck

Edited by rodriguezequal

well... i'm 5'-4" and my highest weight was 213. i didn't exercise at all before my surgery or for the first 5 months after surgery. i lost the first 40 pounds pretty easy. now my weightloss has stalled so i've started adding exercise and i think the weight will start coming off again.

it's true when they say that the band is only a tool and that this journey is NOT easy. it's rough not being able to eat the foods you once loved... i can no longer eat bread including pizza. but i look better and feel better and i'd do it all over again!

Why would your weight loss/fitness trainer even begin to think he/she knows more about what you need before surgery than your surgeon? You have proven you are dedicated to the exercise portion of your post op lifestyle. You surgeon requiring the two weeks of Atkins (shrinks the liver) and then 4 weeks post op liquids sounds standard. If, however, you are having second thoughts, then maybe you should wait.

I was much less prepared than you, and I haven't had any regrets at all about mine. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself.

Ok--- Here is my take. I also work 50+ hrs/wk and went the personal trainer and nutrionist route as a final last ditch effort. I was totally committed to "doing it right" but lost like 10 lbs in 5 months working out every day. Not that I didn't lose inches or was stronger or more in shape-- i had all of that. But it didn't solve the problem of controlling the eating. That was the last straw. I know that you can relate because when you work the hours and add that in but have what seems like minimal results it is like being punched in the face. Frankly, I don't have 2 extra hours a day to work out like that. 30min-1 hr-yes. But I cannot make the gym my life. I feel like my band is the ultimate tool that will finally help me.

Is there risk in surgery? yes. Is there risk in NOT getting surgery? yes. For me--- the risk of surgery out weighed my future health risks that were inevitable with out help. I know I cannot do this on my own-- I really did try.

So how are you not prepared? You already are committed to excersize at least 3x a week and have the drive and the desire to lose. Bottom line- does your trainer actually know what it is like to be fighting his/her weight for like 20+ years? Mine didn't.

Fills-- I just had my first one and it was no big deal. In and out in 45 minutes tops. Just with anything- Follow up is the key to success. I know in my job it is and I am sure with your career it is as well. Think of fills as follow up. As for learning how to eat with your band-- well (for me) the healing process etc helps teach you how to read hunger etc.

I am 5'3 too and only 30lbs less than you-- Risk vs Reward. Either way we'll have health issues. I like my odds with the band vs with out. I know I have done with out it and it equals gaining 10-15 every year or more. The future with out the band holds more health issues than I could ever imagine. The stats of complications with the band are much less than the health issues with out it.

My one last thought--- where do you think you will be in 2 years if you don't get the band? Where were you 2 years ago?

Good luck in your journey-- do what you think is best for you.....

I also am about your same size. I also have arthritis and high b/p that is the reason I had the sugery. With the weight loss it takes preasure off of the knees. I am limited to what excersise I do nothing that is going to hurt the joints. I walk on a treadmill at least 3 times a week.

I have a grandaughter that is now 15 months old and I can keep up with her now and will have more fun with her not carrying around the extra pounds.

Good luck in what ever road you choose. I wish I had the band 10 years ago.

Sheila

Hi Catlover!

I am 58 5'5'' and weighed 237 at surgery date, down from 245 a few months earlier (which was as much as I could loose) I had my surgery in Mexico right after I returned from a cruise and had my Dr's OK to do no pre-op diet, my bmi was 40. Since April I have lost almost 50 lbs and I amaze myself. I know about the cold feet, try being in Mexico by yourself waiting to have surgery in a country where most of the people don't speak English. By the morning of the surgery I was doing LaMaaze breathing and saying Hail Mary's and I'm not even Catholic. That was before surgery, after surgery, I was saying get me out of this bed, I need to walk, this was a piece of cake. And the truth is, it really was. I flew home the next day and went back to work the next day doing massage. I took 2 pain pills in total after surgery and probably didn't neeed them. Its funny how our minds make up all kinds of stories. Just listen to your Dr. and do what he says, there is really very little to worry about. Make your decision on facts from your Dr. You are already doing wonderful and with the combination of the band and what your are already doing, you are going to be drop dead gorgeous by next summer. Thinking of bathing suit shopping and having fun at the same time is a new experience for me, I think you will enjoy it. Good luck and much joy on your journey to health and well being.

Hugs,

Sally

I'm 5'4" and my highest weight was 275. I have never been able to lose this much through exercise and diet!

I am SO glad I did the surgery, but only you can make the decision. Personally, I think your body sounds like you are in good enough shape (if you can sustain that kind of workout) because before my surgery I could barely walk up the stairs and now I work out all the time.

I felt like the surgery was going to be the thing that helped me get to the next level, and I found I was right! I am motivated, I eat small, low calorie meals and am finding success!

You can do it too!

I cannot tell you what is best for you. what i can tell you is my experience. the Lap band as been the best experience ever! I love it so much. I didnt exercise as much as you did and way to go for your effort there! but my weight kept creeping and creeping up.. id lose a little gain it back then some. I wouldnt pass up the band for anything. my general opinion is its a great tool to help keep weight off for a lifetime if managed right. I know there is a risk someday of gaining weight back but not certainly as high as just losing weight. so many regain it back then some. I cant tell you what to do again disclaimer you have to make your mind up on that but I would tell anyone struggling with weight the lap band is awesome and a tool to use to really lose weight and keep it off. you already sound very commited to your plan. i was 5"2 and 274 and was just sick sick sick of being fat and sluggish, and i used to be so athletic. now im down at least to 237 and i feel much better, cant wait to lose more. this is all in a month :Dancing_biggrin: the truth is. if you got lapband. lost weight then picked up your routine six weeks after or whenver your cleared, you may be just so surprized with the results. good luck and keep us updated.

I started out at 235, and am also 5'3.5". I did not work out all of the time before I got my band. My pre-surgery diet was Slim Fast for Breakfast and lunch, and a Lean Cuisine for dinner.

I think being fit prior to the surgery is good, but most of us who got the surgery were not fit before, and only got fit AFTER surgery. I encourage you to continue your workout regimen. I don't think you're out of touch, as your fitness guy would tell you.

I am exactly one year out and wouldn't trade my band for anything... But I DO understand your hesitancy. I think you are just fine. This is going to be a GREAT opportunity for you.

Listen to the surgeon. A fitness coach has no business telliing you what you need to do pre or post surgery, until your doctor has concurred. I am especially concerned with that level of extreme exercise with a torn miniscus. 5 hours three times a week???? You won't be able to do any of that for several weeks after surgery.

Only you can make this decision. I suggest you keep researching until you are totally comfortable with your decision. Keep asking questions and don't get discouraged. We've all been where you are. Keep your chin up and visit us here often.

I would like to thank all of you for your comments and they have all helped me. I have had a new health issue added as a result of having blood work drawn on Monday. I now have a slightly elevated bad cholesterol level, one more nail in the coffin. I can only hope that having the lapband surgery will help all of my health problems. Not only do I have arthritis of my knee that has been operated on once already (had another MRI done last week and will get the results on 11-6-08 to see if I have to have more surgery on it as it will not straighten out) but I also have hypertension, sleep apnea and chronic insomnia. There are major health benefits to having the surgery I can see.

I have to have my surgery done 3.5 hours away from where I live due to insurance issues and I am concerned about the long ride back home and blood clots. I see where someone had the surgery done in Mexico and flew home the next day so I assume that travel should not be a problem but that is a question that I will be asking my md on 11-6 when I see him for my preop visit. What are your thoughts on this?

I am seeing a medical bariatric md and his nutritionist here where I live and they will follow me after my surgery to help me along the way. They have put me on 110 grams of Protein diet before having my surgery for the next week as on 10-31-08 I will start the low carb diet for preop from my surgeon. Has anyone else been put on this kind of high protein diet before surgery?:sad_smile:

Before my surgery I had to have only 4-6 EAS AdvantEDGE drinks a day plus one Lean Cuisine that could be around 400-600 calories. And then I was allowed Water. All of this was in order to shrink the liver. I stuck to it and now I'm reaping the benefits :sad_smile: Good luck

Hi, I'm 45 year old female, 5' 3.5", 230, and have been overweight for most of my life.

I have been doing diet and excersize programs at the YWCA, work 50+ hours a week and my weight is going no where.

I have osteoarthritis of the knee, insomnia, sleep apnea, and hypertension. Have also had Meniscal Tear repaired in my right knee, which limits the amount of excersize I can do while on my feet.

And I find with excersizing on the treadmill 30 min a day 5 days a week, plus 90 sit-ups everyday on a excersize ball, my weight is still not going down.

My dilemma is should I try to increase my excersize level in what little time i have left from the hours I work and cancel my surgery, or should I go ahead with the Lap-Band procedure and continue with my current excersize routine.

Also, I seem to be getting mixed responses from my surgeon and my weightloss/fitness trainer that was at my bariatric nutrionist' office as to what I need to do before/after my surgery.

The Surgeon asked me to go on the Atkins Diet two weeks prior to my surgery, and then a liquid diet four weeks after my surgery, and a gradual move to more solid foods. And that I would require a fill 6 weeks after my surgery and other fills every 3 months.

The weightloss/fitness coach told me that I wasn't prepared for my surgery as I needed to be on a more rigouris excersize program than i'm doing now, a minimum of 5 Hours of Cardio and Resistance Training 3 times a week. I needed to have been eating 110-118 grams of Protein a day before for several months before my surgery. And that I'd require fill's every 6 weeks.

So my concern is i'm not prepared and am doing this the wrong way, and I will either have complications from the band or this procedure will fail in someway.

Please let me know what your opinions are on this, as my sugery is in 3 weeks, and I'm now terrified, and am getting cold feet.

:eek::unsure::eek::unsure:

It isn't up to your fitness trainer to determine your medical needs and when you need surgery. It is also not up to your fitness trainer to determine your protein intake. 110gms of protein is far too much. Protein requirements are based on lean body mass, not current weight.

Your fitness trainer should be showing you the proper way to exercise and leave the medical decisions to your doctor.

More often than not I feel that fitness trainers way over-push people who are not ready for it, trying to get them to do things their body isn't ready for or simply can't do. And because they have a little schooling under their belts to be certified trainers, they think they know everything.